Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Preseason Kickoff Focus:Gm 1:Defense

darrelgreenie

Just wanted to open a discussion about what people want or expect to see from individual players on the defense or from the defense as a unit in the upcoming preseason game vs the Bills.

I'm looking forward to seeing first hand instead of relying on second accounts.

I don't want/expect to see anything exotic as far as blitzes and coverages go, but there are a few things i'll be watching for in this game:

Starting Unit:

o Will our ILBs swicth based on strength of the offense or do they remain on their respective sides of the field?

- are OL consistently getting to the second level and which, if any, of our LBs have to fight off more blocks?

o How is our OLB being used? Where is Rak? Who drops into coverage more Rak or the opposite OLB? Do Carter and Alexander look lost in zone-coverage?

o Which players on the DL command double teams and does the RDE get upfield?

Second Unit:

o ILBs after Blades: Henson, Riley how do they look

o OLBs after Wilson: Gatewood, Rob Jackson

o CBs: How are Barnes, Westbrook and Robinson looking?

o How do the NTs after Haynseworth look?

--How about you?

I am interested in watching the defensive backfield. How aggressive will they be? And, with apparently no "true FS & SS" within the scheme, will we see one safety much further back then the other. I dont want to see a safety 30 yards off the ball until we're up by 36 points.

I doubt if Haslett shows a whole lot of aggressiveness during the preseason.

I agree it'll be very interesting to see the alignments of the FS/SS.

I think we'll see more 'even' Safeties then last year but its definetely something to watch out for:

how much Single Deep vs Cover 2 and who plays where more often?

You know, I'm anxious to see how our offense flows.

I hate to use Dallas in the HoF game, but they moved the ball well.

I don't think it matters how Dallas did in their game, nor do I think that we should expect any offensive continuity at this point. As far as offense goes it would be most important to not give up a sack and to have a few holes open up with the zone blocking. Past that, if DM5 simply chooses the open receiver and takes the shot when a WR has a step or a chance down field vs. having to be wide open, that would be aggressive and refreshing.

Defense is going to be fine. I would like to see a stripped fumble recovery and an interception by games end.

HTTR!!!

This could be a shutout.

I expect multiple sacks,,,a forced fumble,,,and at least one interception.

Bills OL is terrible. Their starting OL isn't even playing but maybe 1 guy.

The first Quarter of Preseason Game 1 will be talked about for a week and it will be how much of a genius Haslett is with the new 3-4.

That's right, I said it! ~ Chris Rock

Starting Unit:

o Will our ILBs swicth based on strength of the offense or do they remain on their respective sides of the field?

o How is our OLB being used? Where is Rak? Who drops into coverage more Rak or the opposite OLB? Do Carter and Alexander look lost in zone-coverage?

Do you think that what we see in the preseason, with regards to coverages and whether the linebackers flip, can be extrapolated to the regular season? I'm not looking so much at schematic details, but more at how individual players perform, and a 10,000 foot view on the D. Are we able to keep blockers off the LB's, are we able to stop the run.

o Which players on the DL command double teams and does the RDE get upfield?

I particularly want to see whether Kemo demands a double, and how Carriker plays at that LDE spot.

I really, really am interested by the Alexander vs Carter battle, and am interested to see how each performs and whether each is used more in particular scenario's, i.e. run vs pass.

I also am just a bit worried about Orakpo after his more quiet camp. I want to see him generate some consistent pressure, both with speed, and with power.

Do you think that what we see in the preseason, with regards to coverages and whether the linebackers flip, can be extrapolated to the regular season?

I don't think the coverages will translate b/c they're probably gonna play base zone and base man, so basically Blache's defense j/k

I do think wether or not the ILBs flip would carry over b/c it diesn't really give away much other then wether will have a SILB/WILB or just a Right/Left.

Are we able to keep blockers off the LB's, are we able to stop the run...I particularly want to see whether Kemo demands a double, and how Carriker plays at that LDE spot....I really, really am interested by the Alexander vs Carter battle, and am interested to see how each performs and whether each is used more in particular scenario's, i.e. run vs pass.

Maybe we can compare notes, i'll be watching close.

Do you think that what we see in the preseason, with regards to coverages and whether the linebackers flip, can be extrapolated to the regular season?

I don't think the coverages will translate b/c they're probably gonna play base zone and base man, so basically Blache's defense j/k

I do think wether or not the ILBs flip would carry over b/c it diesn't really give away much other then wether will have a SILB/WILB or just a Right/Left.

Are we able to keep blockers off the LB's, are we able to stop the run...I particularly want to see whether Kemo demands a double, and how Carriker plays at that LDE spot....I really, really am interested by the Alexander vs Carter battle, and am interested to see how each performs and whether each is used more in particular scenario's, i.e. run vs pass.

Maybe we can compare notes, i'll be watching close.

Rak will be fine

Archived