Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Madden Story

Spaceman Spiff

This is an awesome read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100805/madden

What followed became one of the biggest secrets in video game history: EA built a "Montana" game for Sega that was designed to compete with "Madden." Sort of.

"We made sure it was totally inferior," Hawkins said.

Working from the "Madden" code base, EA removed the 3-D field, slashed the pro-style playbook from 113 plays to 13 and added cartoony, big-headed player graphics.

"Joe Montana Football" was a hit, but "John Madden Football" was an industry game-changer, spawning yearly sequels and creating a lucrative revenue model that still persists. Robust sales helped Sega pull neck and neck with Nintendo, triggering a second gaming boom -- this time around, retailers concluded gaming was here to stay. In 1990, EA had a market cap of about $60 million; three years later, that number swelled to $2 billion.

Hawkins: "You stayed with me. EA is about to have an IPO [initial public offering]. You can have as much stock as you want."

Madden: "What do you mean by 'have'?"

Hawkins: "Well, you have to buy it -- at the IPO price."

"Hell, I'm just a football coach," Madden says now. "I pointed with my finger, all knowing, and said, 'I gave you my time. I'm not giving you my money.' I showed him!"

From 1989 to 1999, EA's share price went from $7.50 to $70. Madden laughs. "That was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life."

Archived