Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watson's market value?

redman

According to an unsourced post on a fantasy football message board, both Olandis Gary and Chris Muafatu-Maafala are being shopped for 3rd rounders around the league, but the article indicated that that was too high, and that a 7th rounder was more realistic. Both of those guys, especially Gary, have a better track record in the NFL than Watson does, so I don't think we can expect to get much in trade for Watson.

it all depends. Chase has been a career backup and yet yielded a #7 or #6 depending on playing time.

Canidate drew a #4 pick from the Skins even though he hadn't played regularly in over a year.

I agree that Watson because of his pedigree of not being a high pick is held against him, because if he rushed for 534 yards and WAS a #2 or #3 pick a lot more teams would be interested.

Just look at the Packers. They signed Lamar Smith to come in and challenge for a spot even though Smith has limped through the past year or more on bad wheels.

I think the reason Gary gets downgraded is because of his knee problems.

Maafala is not seen as a potential everydown back but a part-timer and nobody is going to give up a high pick for a guy that carries the ball 5 or 6 times a game.

Watson really only has two big games to his credit. Keep in mind that one of those games came against by far (I think a good 20 yards/game) the worst run defense in the league (Seattle). In the other game, Houston allowed two runners to rush for 100+ yards, giving up nearly 250 rushing yards and nearly 450 yards total offense.

He needs more reps. I think he can turn into a productive back given time though not a feature back (I'm thinking a Moe Williams type backup). He needs a better proving ground than those two games to be worth much even if he had been a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Naturally, there's a reason why he wasn't picked high--he's not particularly quick or elusive enough to warrant a team taking a chance and sending out a high draft pick (think Trung) given his sparse production.

Putting on my GM hat, if I were in need of a back, Watson wouldn't be a player I'd be willing to give up much of anything for right now. I'd be thinking waiver wire. There's not a lot of separation between him and Betts and they're similar enough to warrant taking the chance on one of them being released.

Come on, guys. Watson has no trade value at all. He's got very little experience (you're right that his two big games were not that impressive in retrospect) as a second-year undrafted player, he's got no "pedigree", and there's a pretty good chance he'll get cut anyway.

Add that up, and he's not worth much even to a team desperate for a RB. Seriously, think of the situation from the Skins standpoint: they're desperate for a DT, but what would they pay for a second-year undrafted DT who played a little last year as a backup and had two good games against awful teams, and might get cut in a couple weeks anyway?

Archived