Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Central Air HELP!

Capt. Kaos

We had ours die in the spring time, and had the same symptoms you described. Wound up being the Capacitor for the compressor -it was barely swollen. Tech put a new one in, and ICE cold once again......

Yep, that was the solution on mine as well. It went out last week on one of those 102 degree days. It was awful. Guy showed up, found the blown capacitor, fixed it, and we were pumping some cold air again.

That was a hot night though. It was reading 89 downstairs when we went upstairs to go to sleep. Thank God for our whole house fan and a low of 69 that night.

Hope its something easy like that for you too!

and the final verdict is................

The capacitor, the part where the tines are was barely expanded.

$70 fix and I'm living the cool life again!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help!

Side Note: Turns out that the friend of a friend tech is actually a friend of mine that I hadnt talked to in awhile. Small World.

Side Note #2: I got an estimate of $3700 to replace our 3 ton trane with a 3 ton trane (includes both indoor / outdoor units, installation and heat kit)

Fair deal?!?

and the final verdict is................

The capacitor, the part where the tines are was barely expanded.

$70 fix and I'm living the cool life again!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help!

Side Note: Turns out that the friend of a friend tech is actually a friend of mine that I hadnt talked to in awhile. Small World.

Side Note #2: I got an estimate of $3700 to replace our 3 ton trane with a 3 ton trane (includes both indoor / outdoor units, installation and heat kit)

Fair deal?!?

by heat kit im assuming he means a heat pump maximizer. 37 including installation is a pretty good deal, is he doing it through his company or himself as a contractor doing side work? The reason I ask is because if he is doing it through his company, you should ask him if you can get a deal on a 1 yr maint contract. Its worth it man. Most manufacturers warranty's can void if you don't do routine maint (once a season). If you go ahead and upgrade, ask if they can thow in a 1 yr maint agreeement for free or at a discount. Either way though, 3700 for both a heat pump and air handler, installed is a good deal. I had a feeling it was the capacitor, during this period of constant heat, with units running non stop, capacitors pop all the time. I need to not doubt myself so much. :) Be glad it wasn't your compressor, bc then not only would you be investing in new units, but copper line sets as well, and any time they have to replace line sets, there is a threat of drywall damage.

Congrats on the cool down, upstairs. Congrats on a good deal lfor a HP and AH. Let me know if you have any questions bro.

3 ton unit should be good for an upstairs zone. Oh, one piece of priceless advice for any upstairs unit. Any unit in any home actually, but upstairs zones specifically. Get a condensate protector on your condensate line asap. Your condensate line comes with a generic trap glued on to the pvc. It needs to be cut and replaced with an "EZ Trap" or a "Condensate Cop", there are tons of other brands. But you need one on any upstairs zone to protect from flooding. Flooding in your atticis a horrible situation to be in because it is going to run down your walls and pool in your ceiling. If you use an ez trap, once the condensate line clogs, the ez trap shuts the system down before the condensate line can flood. its a 100 dollar piece of equipment, and even if issues like that are covered, having to deal with the clean up and replacement of damaged spots is still a hassle that can be avoided.

Stew, hoping you can give me some insight on this.

I need to replace my AC unit. I live in a condo and have a unit in the condo and one on the roof. The one on the roof is 12 years old (Rheem, SEER 10) and it was highly recommended (by two people) to be replaced. The unit has had numerous repairs and is running inefficiently. The one in the condo is 7 years old.

I got a quote and before rebates its $3880 (Rheem, SEER 16) to install both units. They will not use existing hook ups but rather replace all the old hook ups on the roof.

What are your thoughts on that price for that product? Good deal, average or rip off? My concern is that when I enter the model #s in Google (14AJM24A01 & RHLLHM2417JA) I find that I can buy the units for about $1800. That seems like a pretty high mark up...but I know there is labor involved and they will be upgading the hook ups etc.

Would it make sense to buy the units myself and then pay someone to install them? Thanks in advance.

Stew, hoping you can give me some insight on this.

I need to replace my AC unit. I live in a condo and have a unit in the condo and one on the roof. The one on the roof is 12 years old (Rheem, SEER 10) and it was highly recommended (by two people) to be replaced. The unit has had numerous repairs and is running inefficiently. The one in the condo is 7 years old.

I got a quote and before rebates its $3880 (Rheem, SEER 16) to install both units. They will not use existing hook ups but rather replace all the old hook ups on the roof.

What are your thoughts on that price for that product? Good deal, average or rip off? My concern is that when I enter the model #s in Google (14AJM24A01 & RHLLHM2417JA) I find that I can buy the units for about $1800. That seems like a pretty high mark up...but I know there is labor involved and they will be upgading the hook ups etc.

Would it make sense to buy the units myself and then pay someone to install them? Thanks in advance.

Its a decent deal if they are going to replace your line sets. What I mean by linesets, is the copper lines running from the outdoor unit, to the indoor unit. The unit is a 410A refrigerant system, the new stuff, and thats good bc they are fasing out r22. Be sure by hook ups they mean your line sets. They need to do this anyways bc you are converting from an r22 system (i can tell from what you have told me about your current on) to a 410A system. Ask them if they are going to have to rip out any dry wall to do this and if they cover the dry wall repair. Most places dont. I just dont want you to be wide eyed if you see them puncture your drywall to run the new lineset. The labor they are charging you is about average for most businesses. I am going to estimate that two guys will be coming out to do the install.

Question, are you going through a company or is this being done by an independant contractor as side work? I ask because if this as a business giving you this price, then you need to know what kind of maint, and 24 hour service theyare offering for going with that company. Atthe very very least they should offer you a discount on a yearly maint plan, including 24 hour parts and labor, if they dont include it in the install. If you are going with an independant contractor, or someone doing this job as side work, all you will get is the manufacturer warrenty on defect, unless the guy is willing to stnad by his word and work for a year... thats something to talk about with him.

All in all, pretty decent deal either way. You are getting a new indoor/outdoor units with new line sets. Its gonna be a cool summer for you from here on out. My advice is to try and see whatkind if deal on a maint agreement youcan get from this company. Call another company and ask if theyinclude any kind of maint package with installation of a new unit.

Hey, I noticed this is an AC/Air handler. I was wondering, if you dont mind me asking, how do you heat your house in the winter? EDIT: Ah, I see you live in FL, makes more sense now.

It would probably end up cheaper, but you wouldnt get any other warrenty then the manufacturers warranty, and they can void that if you dont get your unit maintained every six months. (Once a season) Just to install and charge your system, you need someone who is certified to handle the refrigerant, justto purchase it. If you know someone Universally certified who will stand behind their work, then it mayend up being cheaper.

Thanks Stew. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm going through a company, not a contractor. The company comes recommended by a few neighbors and has an A+ rating with the BBB.

They are including a 2 year service agreement with the deal...so I should be covered for the seasonal inspections to ensure the Rheem warranty doesn't void. They are also including a duct cleaning with the install. I believe they are replacing the line sets...but will make sure tomorrow morning. (and also find out about the dry wall)

There is one add on I want to run by you. For $400 (net $280 after tax credit) they will add some sort of ultra violet light to a unit that supposedly kills mold and bacteria and helps keep the coils cleaner? Is that legit and if it is, is it worth the price?

Thanks Stew. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm going through a company, not a contractor. The company comes recommended by a few neighbors and has an A+ rating with the BBB.

They are including a 2 year service agreement with the deal...so I should be covered for the seasonal inspections to ensure the Rheem warranty doesn't void. They are also including a duct cleaning with the install. I believe they are replacing the line sets...but will make sure tomorrow morning. (and also find out about the dry wall)

There is one add on I want to run by you. For $400 (net $280 after tax credit) they will add some sort of ultra violet light to a unit that supposedly kills mold and bacteria and helps keep the coils cleaner? Is that legit and if it is, is it worth the price?

After thinking about your set up, you are getting a really good deal.

UV light systems do kill mold in your system. Black mold can form in your condensate tray,on the walls of your unit, and even in the blower wheel, and then spores get forced through your air ducts. If they install the UV system only you have had your ducts cleaned, then go for it. There is one catch with UV light systems. The bulbs. The bulbs can go out in a year,orafter three years,it all depends... on what I dont know. Ive had to replace bulbs all the times, and at different intervals of the bulbs life... on the same units. Here is the catch though, the bulbs are expensive. So if you can smooth talk the company into an extra set of bulbs, then Id be all over it. Clean in home air is severely underrated, especially if you have breathing problems or allergies, or someone in your house does. Ask the company if it is a one bulb or two bulb UV light system. For 400 you should be getting a two bulb system. Congrats on the UV system if you get it, its a great addition to a new unit. The 2 year service plan is awesome as well. You are taking great steps at protecting your investment.

UV light systems keep mold off your coils, the walls of your unit, the blower/squirrel cage wheel, the blower motor itself, your condensate tray, and preventsmold from being spread through your vents.

When they come out to do your seasonal cleanings, ask them or make sure the tech that comes out pulls your blower and blower motor and cleans the blower and squirell cage with water and a brush. Ask them to tell you about any mold accumulation. That will give you a good estimate of whatyour UV lights are doing for you. Since you are getting a new unit, the techs wont have to pull the blower for the first year, after the first year is when you start noticing the dust, mold, debris build up on the squirrel cage blades. But once your system is a couple years old they should always be washing the squirrel cage and blower housing (they take the motor out so it doesnt get wet). You are paying for thatservice to be performed and a lot of techs are lazy and wont do it because its tedious and they may have to use hand tools instead of a drill with a flex hose. just some free insider info i figured Id impart. If other techs would do the job correctly, it would make my job easier, and the home owner would always feel like they are being taken.

Well, all this talk of AC units dying must have hurt my AC Unit's feelings, because it went out last night around 11:30. of course it was my capacitor. It wrwasn'teally swollen anywhere, it was really rusted on the top though, and my hard start capacitor that was attached to the capacitor was hot. Took both them off, replaced my capacitor with a turbo capacitor (its a big one that you can make into any MFD capacitor... = lifesaver) and instant cool air again. My compressor was hot as well though, so Im going to have to baby my unit until it goes, then Ill have American Home Shields pay for my replacement.

Stew, on final twist.

After spending hours installing the unit of the roof, they came in to install the unit in the condo and it wouldn't fit in the closet by an inch! (they had previously measured, apparently very poorly)

They are now giving me a different model Rheem indoors which is not compatible with the one just installed on the roof, so they are switching that one out.

So I went from 14AJM24A01 + RHLLHM2417JA to 14AJM30A01 + RHLLHM3617JA. Seen here side by side: http://www.theacoutlet.com/products.php?cat=29

They said its an "upgrade" at no extra cost for the hassle. I'm going from 2.0 Ton to 2.5 Ton. Is this a better set up for me? I do see that it is slightly more expensive equipment. Briefly, what does the extra half ton mean?

Stew, on final twist.

After spending hours installing the unit of the roof, they came in to install the unit in the condo and it wouldn't fit in the closet by an inch! (they had previously measured, apparently very poorly)

They are now giving me a different model Rheem indoors which is not compatible with the one just installed on the roof, so they are switching that one out.

So I went from 14AJM24A01 + RHLLHM2417JA to 14AJM30A01 + RHLLHM3617JA. Seen here side by side: http://www.theacoutlet.com/products.php?cat=29

They said its an "upgrade" at no extra cost for the hassle. I'm going from 2.0 Ton to 2.5 Ton. Is this a better set up for me? I do see that it is slightly more expensive equipment. Briefly, what does the extra half ton mean?

The extra half ton is just in relation to more square footage it can adaquately cool off. Its an upgrade of sorts. Your system wont have to work as hard to cool the same amount of space a 2 ton unit adaquately cool. Better set up? Eh, Its not a bad thing, especially if they are not charging you any more. if they are charging you more, you need to tell them that the extra time for their mistakes sshouldn'tcost you more money.

• 6 months later...

Stew,

Had my 6 month maintenance check on my new AC unit. Everything checked out ok. A couple of recommendations they made...

I should get a Corrosion Grenade on the unit on the roof to prevent corrosion. It cost $125. Worth the money?

I should also replace my hot water heater. Its 10 years old. Its a 30 gallon - short. $725 which includes permit and emergency pan. Fair price? Also, is 10 years about the useful life for a hot water heater?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Stew,

Had my 6 month maintenance check on my new AC unit. Everything checked out ok. A couple of recommendations they made...

I should get a Corrosion Grenade on the unit on the roof to prevent corrosion. It cost $125. Worth the money?

I should also replace my hot water heater. Its 10 years old. Its a 30 gallon - short. $725 which includes permit and emergency pan. Fair price? Also, is 10 years about the useful life for a hot water heater?

Thanks!

Im so sorry for not seeing this in Jan, and replying three months later. The corrosion grenade is only necessary if your roof is in bad shape around the unit. Is your hot water tank gas or electric? either way, at ten years old, its getting close to time to replace.

I am bumping this thread though because its about that time where people start firing up their AC systems. Please get the seasonal maint done on your systems before switching to AC mode for the spring/summer (we rarely get a spring around here). Not getting seasonal maint done can create serious problems on the most expensive and important appliance in your home. Not getting seasonal maint done can also void a warranty and or a service agreement. get your unit cleaned now so you can be made aware of the condition of your cooling unit. During the summer, everyones units will be breaking and it could be days or a week before a tech can be at your door depending on the influx of calls. Good luck this cooling season guys!

Archived