Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sammy Baugh mentioned in July Texas Monthly article on Lonesome Dove

jpillian

For all of you Lonesome Dove/ Redskins fans in the audience:

In the July Texas Montly there's a great retrospective on the book/miniseries Lonesome Dove, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the novel. In the article, Robert Duvall (who plays one of the lead characters in the miniseries adaptation -- Augustus (Gus) McCrae) says the following about getting into character to play Gus:

Duvall: About a month before we started [filming the miniseries], I looked up a classmate, a rancher near Rotan, and he too me to see Sammy Baugh (the NFL great who played quarterback at Texas Christian University in the thirties). I thought, "Wow." My dad took me to see him play with the Washington Redskins when I was ten. But he must have been seventy when I met him, and he didn't even know who I was. We talked for hours about football and his life, and he just seemed to me like an old, tall Texas Ranger. So that's where I got my gestures and everything, watching Sammy Baugh.

Something to consider the next time you're watching Lonesome Dove: you're actually watching Gus McCrae as played by Sammy Baugh :silly:

Archived