Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The spirit of America

Burgold

The spirit of America has taken a bunch of body blows of late. People not on the fringe, but in places of authority and standing seem to be assailing and striking blows against crucial American ideals and far too many seem to be cheering them on. It makes you wonder if people still believe in it. I've always thought that American spirit was comprised basically of three things.

1. The thought that anyone from anywhere can make it by the sweat of the brow or the ingenuity of their mind.

2. That we are a great melting pot and that all our welcome and that our strength derives from both our diversity of ideas, backgrounds, and cultures.

3. That we all have certain alienable rights including, but not limited to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Has the nature of America changed so that what I understand to be her spirit is obsolete. These are just some of the self-inflicted blows America has suffered. Direct blows against her Spirit and Constitution.

Warrantless Wiretapping.

Torture.

Denial of Due Process.

Universal Health Care.

All this Arizona stuff, esp. this birth certificate jazz.

Add more if you like.

Are you comfortable about the way we seem to be redefining America? Are we actually undergoing a significant redefining of the American spirit and ideal?

I agree with you Burgold, however this type of stuff has been going on for a long time. Minority groups were were always treated like crap throughout our nations history, and I would honestly argue that apart from the recession, nothing that you mentioned is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. There is so much media coverage nowadays, that everything gets magnified. There are countless polls everywhere, along with talk radio stations where EVERYONE can't wait to put in their two cents about immigration law, abortion rights, gay marriage, the economy, healthcare, rising gas prices, racism, etc. Thats my humble opinion anyways, other people may feel differently.

The invasion of America by people that are not suppose to here and Americans not defending what is rightfully theirs.
You mean the British? Those nasty olde Colonists? Some people hold a grudge for a loooooong time?

:ols:

Yeah, Burgold - the irony runs VERY deep in that post.

Archived