Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need PC help- How do I set up wireless internet at home?

DieselPwr44

OK....

Converting a bedroom into a small office at home and instead of moving the jack, thought I could go wireless by buying a router.

The ethernet cable is plugged directly into the PC.

Besides a router, what else do I need?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I'm assuming the ethernet cable goes from modem to pc? I'm also assuming the home office computer has a wireless connection? If so, all you need is a router. The set-up would be easy: modem to router via cable, then router to pc via cable as well. There should be ethernet connections on back of the router to hard-wire your current computer.

*Edit, didn't see you already had an cable from modem to pc. Otherwise, the rest of my post should suffice.

If you are going wireless and have a desktop you will need a wireless adapter for the desktop. Either a USB or PCI(internal) one. Both about $40

The instuctions that come with the router usually are very easy to understand. Just follow them and you shouldn't have a problem.

Yeah and basically the instruction manual of whatever wireless router you buy will guide you through the steps. I didn't know anything about it either and I went and bought one and found it to be just ridiculously simple.

Once you connect it either it will auto install, ask for a disk, or you'll have to go to networks and set-up a home network. You're then asked to input the default gateway and some other values that they will give to you in the manual.

Last thing....you'll want to secure it. It will ask for a network name(probably don't want to name it your name or family name but something familiar - people can see it when scanning for signals). Then it will have you choose from either WEP, WPA, WPA2 or something similar for encryption. Whichever type you choose you'll have to input a specific length password for it(I think WEP needs like 13 characters or something).

Once you have your network secure just scan for wireless networks on your laptop/wireless device. Choose it and input WEP/WPA2 key and you're good to go.

If you are going wireless and have a desktop you will need a wireless adapter for the desktop. Either a USB or PCI(internal) one. Both about $40

Heck the easiest is just get the wireless usb adapter and see what neighbors network you can piggyback off. Not recommended but the easiest.

Archived