Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Help Support a Great Cause!

Special K

Hi All!

Okay, I don't normally do this, but since it's for a really good cause, I've decided to go around my brother's back and try to garner more votes through tapping the ES community :D

Here's the deal: My older brother is CEO of the YMCA in my hometown in Northern California. He and other YMCA staff members are currently working on building a youth exercise facility at the YMCA to enhance their youth outreach programs in our small community (which, I will say, and not just because of my brother's involvement, is one of the best youth outreach programs I've personally worked with, and I've worked with several). Anyway, they applied for an award through Raley's Reach program to help add to this youth exercise facility project. The catch is, to get this award, they need to garner the most online votes of the nominees for this award.

If you want to help (which I would be very happy if you would help me help my brother and the kids of my hometown :D ), here's what you can do. Go to the following site: http://www.raleys.com/cfapps/reach/nomination.cfm?ideaid=1421295 and click on the "LOG INTO RALEYS NOW" button to submit your vote for the Siskiyou family YMCA. We are allowed one vote per email address per day for the next couple weeks. If you have the inclination and a few extra minutes of your time, I would so greatly appreciate if you would help out with this mission (and I know my brother would appreciate it too - he's a member here by the way, but as a father of some crazy children and dealing with the demands of his job, he doesn't have as much time to screw around on this site as I do, lol).

Thank-you so much for your help everyone! :)

ok, that's done. typed in a generic email that is rarely used. i let that one get all the spam. :)

Thanks BB.

Yeah, I used my email used for spam too, just in case. Although I left the box unchecked to receive any emails and promotions and just put that I wanted to vote, dangit (sorry, I didn't realize that part about registering prior to posting my ES plea for help, lol).

Hope it works out.

I don't support the YMCA based on my personal experience there.

Great facility though. Just not for me.

Dang KH, sorry to hear you had a bad experience there. I understand though. I have actually dealt with a really crappily-run YMCA when I was in college...so I don't doubt at all that there are crappy ones out there, which is unfortunate because when run properly, they can really benefit communities, particularly the smaller, more rural communities IMO.

Dang KH, sorry to hear you had a bad experience there. I understand though. I have actually dealt with a really crappily-run YMCA when I was in college...so I don't doubt at all that there are crappy ones out there, which is unfortunate because when run properly, they can really benefit communities, particularly the smaller, more rural communities IMO.

Call me stuck up or whatever. I am not a fan of discounts that dont apply to everyone.

I was told that I would have to pay 30 bucks (around that) more to go to the Y in DC... Because I made too much money. And it was a great place, but I dont understand why I would pay more for the same. I don't pay more for food, clothes, etc. Granted this was...geez...11 years ago, still left me not wanting to invest my money there.

Hello all,

Lifetime skins fan.....transplanted to the West Coast and now I'm the executive director of the Siskiyou Family YMCA. A small, independent YMCA in Northern California.

My sister Katie posted the link for the Raley's grant, of which I'm very grateful :) (thanks sis). We're hoping to rally the troops to help not only our YMCA, but to help one small town in the fight against an epidemic - Youth Obesity.

Findings from a recent study conducted by the US Center for Disease Control predict that the youth of today are the first generation in history whose life span will be less than their parents. According to the health administrator at Yreka Elementary School district (our town), more than 50% of the kids in Yreka cannot pass the Presidents Physical Fitness Test. The Siskiyou Family YMCA would like to be a leader in the fight to change those statistics!

The Siskiyou Family YMCA is in the middle of a 5000 sq. ft. addition to our existing facility. This new building will feature a youth fitness center, rock climbing wall and expanded gymnastics, wrestling and jujitsu programs. The designed purpose of the development is to combat the rising youth obesity issue facing kids in our county. We would use the $7500 grant to purchase exercise bikes for the new youth fitness center. This project targets youth ages 6 to 18 years old who live in Siskiyou County. The Youth Fitness is scheduled to open in July 2010.

The grant 'pool' consists of towns / cities of 100,000+ people.......that's what we're running against. Our town has a population of just over 8000. Those are slim odds, but with the collective help of those wishing to make a difference in the activity level of our youth....we can do this! Your not just voting for the YMCA, or our YMCA.....You're voting for a program that will have a positive impact on our youth.

Vote 1x per day through May 12 and we can make that difference! It's easy and takes between 10-15 seconds to vote once you sign up!

Thank you for your consideration and support of this project,

teamcal00

Scott Eastman

Executive Director - Siskiyou Family YMCA

Go Skins!

:point2sky

Archived