Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Wizards 2010 Free Agency wish list

shuler74

I posted this in wizardsextreme and wanted to get more opinions on what the team will look like next year . I changed mine a bit since I originally posted.

With the list of all 2010 free agents this summer what would your likely realistic starting five be knowing Lebron a and Dwade most likely will not be coming here.

Mine would be ..

Arenas or Evan Turner ( assuming we get the #2 pick yea right ) PG

Gay or Joe Johnson SG

J Howard SF

Blatche PF

McGee C

Dont know if this is possible per cap but these are my pics, what would yours be ?

Let's start by breaking up the class into a few categories. First up, let's start with the big-name players whose contract's will expire following the 2009-2010 season, and will then become honest-to-goodness unrestricted free agents on July 1, 2010:

Joe Johnson

Carlos Boozer

David Lee

Ray Allen

Manu Ginobili

Marcus Camby

Raymond Felton

Tracy McGrady

Shaquille O'Neal

The next grouping is the list of stars that are signed thru 2011, but can opt out in 2010 if they so choose:

LeBron James (Player Option - owed 17.2 million in 10/11)

Dwyane Wade (PO - owed 17.0 million in 10/11)

Chris Bosh (PO - owed 17.1 million in 10/11)

Amar'e Stoudemire (Early Termination Option - owed 17.7 million in 10/11)

Dirk Nowitzki (ETO - owed $21.5 million in 10/11)

Paul Pierce (PO – owed $21.5 million in 10/11)

Kobe Bryant (PO – owed $24.8 million in 10/11)

Yao Ming (ETO - owed 17.7 million in 10/11)

Mike Redd (ETO - owed $18.3 million in 10/11)

(Obviously we know Redd won't opt out, and it's safe to assume the same for Yao Ming as well)

Next up, we have a few members of the 2006 draft class that will become restricted free-agents this summer, as they have played out the first four years of their rookie contracts and haven't signed early extensions:

Rudy Gay

Tyrus Thomas

J.J. Re****

Randy Foye

Kyle Lowry

Ronnie Brewer

In addition to the studs listed above, the following 'second-tier' players, young and old, are set to hit the open market as well:

Josh Howard (Team Option - owed $11.8 million in 10/11)

Brad Miller

Allen Iverson

Jermaine O'Neal

Kenyon Martin (ETO - owed $16.5 million in 10/11)

Mike Miller

Nate Robinson

Brendan Haywood

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Al Harrington

Udonis Haslem

Kyle Korver

Drew Gooden

Raja Bell

Luis Scola (restricted)

Sergio Rodriguez (unrestricted if Knicks don't offer QO)

John Salmons (ETO – owed $5.8 million in 10/11)

Tyson Chandler (ETO - owed $12.8 million in 10/11)

T.J. Ford (PO - owed $8.5 million in 10/11)

Travis Outlaw

Earl Watson

Larry Hughes

Luke Ridnour

Louis Amundson

Channing Frye (PO - owed $2.1 million in 10/11)

Grant Hill (PO - owed $3.3 million in 10/11)

Steve Blake

Quentin Richardson

Ben Wallace

Tony Allen

Marquis Daniels

Amir Johnson

Leon Powe (team option)

Anthony Morrow (restricted)

C.J. Watson (restricted)

Kelenna Azubuike (PO – owed $3.3 million in 10/11)

Jordan Farmer (restricted)

Shannon Brown (PO – owed $2.2 million in 10/11)

Dorell Wright

Joe Alexander

Hakim Warrick

Hilton Armstrong (restricted)

Chris Duhon

Rounding out the registry, there are a number of veteran role-players that will also be testing free agent waters:

Derek Fisher

Matt Harpring

Josh Childress (restricted)

Darko Milicic

Antoine Wright

Marcus Williams

Joe Smith

Jawad Williams

Mo Evans (PO)

Shelden Williams

Stephen Graham

Damien Wilkins

Luther Head

Rasual Butler

Kurt Thomas

Rafer Alston

Bobby Simmons

Matt Bonner

Tony Battie

Trenton Hassell

Sean Williams

Jarvis Hayes

Rodney Carney

Desmond Mason

Sean May

Etan Thomas

Kenny Thomas

Tim Thomas

Brian Cardinal

I really wish I could believe in this team and I'm not trying to step on your thread (which is very good and very well thought out) but I honestly can't see why any free agents would want to play in DC. They've been terrible to mediocre for the last 32 years, they haven't had a 50 win season in that same span and only the Clippers haven't hit the 50 win pleateu (or the Bobcats, but come on, they look decent). Plus, NBA basketball in general has become so predictable. Same teams, year after year. Stern has his favorites he wants in the finals and the Wizards are not one of them. So DC, enjoy your one and only "Bell-Bottom, 1977-78 Disco Era" championship, because in the NBA, that's all we'll get.

I really wish I could believe in this team and I'm not trying to step on your thread (which is very good and very well thought out) but I honestly can't see why any free agents would want to play in DC.
I bet there are plenty of guys that would want to come to DC if they were offered one more dollar than another club. It's all about the money.

I bet there are plenty of guys that would want to come to DC if they were offered one more dollar than another club. It's all about the money.

That and roster math. Would free agents rather go to the Lakers than come here, even for a bit less money? Probably. But the top-tier teams already have most of their rosters set - otherwise they probably wouldn't be top-tier. They won't be making too many offers. Then you get down to a competition between us and the Memphises and Minnesotas of the world, and DC trounces them in terms of a place to live. I would think that a lot of free agents would choose here over an average team like, say, Charlotte simply because of the lifestyle difference. (I'm sure a few would prefer Charlotte, too, but overall we'd get more preferring to be in this area than vice versa).

I really wish I could believe in this team and I'm not trying to step on your thread (which is very good and very well thought out) but I honestly can't see why any free agents would want to play in DC. They've been terrible to mediocre for the last 32 years, they haven't had a 50 win season in that same span and only the Clippers haven't hit the 50 win pleateu (or the Bobcats, but come on, they look decent). Plus, NBA basketball in general has become so predictable. Same teams, year after year. Stern has his favorites he wants in the finals and the Wizards are not one of them. So DC, enjoy your one and only "Bell-Bottom, 1977-78 Disco Era" championship, because in the NBA, that's all we'll get.

To come to a city thats not as good as NY but to come to a city thats better than cleveland......all we need is a little luck that the curse of the les boulez cant curse

Archived