Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scout's Take on Tackles

method man

Who...all of this last-second, "go against the grain"/"teenage rebellion" Clausen love is getting ridiculous. lol.

Way too many of you guys are getting caught up in the moment. The recent draft talk (regarding the QBs) has been how this poor little hard-working kid from Notre Dame is getting ****ted on by *******s like McShay for no reason...and Irish hating on a Fightin' Irish! lol.

I'm just going to post the info that I can recall off the top of my head about both QBs since I first heard their names a few years back.

Jimmy "Golden Boy/Domer" Clausen.

~While in H.S., started getting hype that I've honestly NEVER seen another HS football player (regardless of position) get. Multiple "scouts" were already saying that he is the best HS QB prospect since Elway, and the comparisons to Elway were being made non-stop.

~He signs with N.D., which has the whole country excited (seeing as how ND=Yankees=Cowboys).

~Brady Quinn, the ND QB at the time, had to adjust to a new coaching staff come in, and did a great job, projected to be the top pick. He stays in school for another year, gets to play in Weis' "NFL ready from day 1" pro style offense for an extra year, and actually played great for both those years...-1 game...the Sugar Bowl against the MUCH MORE talented LSU Tigers and Jamarcus Russell.

**Just to give a brief example of the HUGE talent differential, Russell had the likes of Buster Davis [1st round WR], Dwayne Bowe [another 1st round WR] and Early Doucet [who, at the time, was projected as a first rounder but ended up going in the 3rd]. And, IIRC, 1st round RB Joseph Addai was on that team as well.

Quinn, he had...UFA RB Michael Hart, who I don't think is in the league anymore. He also had...I really can't name any other player from that team.

Despite having played 2 SOLID seasons unders Weis and his pro-style offense, I doubt anyone in here would want Quinn starting the season for the 'Skins....

--- Sam Bradford. ---

A few years ago, the Oklahoma Sooners, lead by returning star QB Brett Bhomar(sp?), were poised for a championship run. Just before the season starts, Bhomar is kicked off the team for accepting a car or other gifts ~ and Sooner nation has a panic attack. The way it was being reported, it seemed like that Bhomar fella not only took himself down, but he took down the Oklahoma football program down with him as well.

Out of nowhere, some kid named Bradford emerges as the Sooner's starting QB, and all is well in Norman, OK. The Sooners see BCS title(s) and a Heisman trophy-winning QB in their near future (not saying it all happened...just what they were "envisioning").

Bradford wins the Heisman, but loses the BCS Title game to a Florida team lead by Superman himself, Tim mother****ing! Tebow! {Yea, I heart TEBOW! lol}

As Bradford was leading his team to the Title Game, Clausen did his best magic act and seeemingly "disappeared," never mentioned/heard from again, until Lou "The Biggest ND Homer" Holtz, was giving a 'preview' of the upcoming ND season and what to expect.

He didn't mention his name, but when asked what was the biggest issue with ND at the time, he just started getting all heated up, and started talking about how some kids act as if "they've arrived" just by showing up and signing their letter of intent. It was Mark May, or the host(Rece Davis?), who pushed for a name, and when they mentioned Clausen, were able to get a nod (followed by an even more ticked off Lou Holtz, who started giving an angry tirade about player's character issues - until he was cut off [the show was in it's final segment and ending]).

With all the buzz about Weis, Clausen and ND this year, I made sure I watched him play - at least a few games.

Was he impressive? Yea. But it seemed as if he only had half of the players in the huddle who were behind him 100%, and he also got the benefit of playing against a relatively easy schedule, and had 2 great receivers (prior to the season ending injury to the WR Floyd - who was extremely impressive, easily outshining Golden Tate).

Not surprisingly, Clausen's play seemed to deteriorate with Floyd gone for the year. Nothing was mentioned about Clausen having an injury, but now they say he apparently had a turf toe injury he played through the entire season (what a tough guy...lol).

Horrible season ends. Weis gets fired, and Clausen, after having just ONE impressive year stats-wise, declares for the NFL draft.

*I"ll say this. I'm so sure that we're not going to draft Clausen, I'm willing to sig bet (or whatever) on it. That guy is an assclown in a suit, just waiting for the draft to end so he can be himself again.

Who...all of this last-second, "go against the grain"/"teenage rebellion" Clausen love is getting ridiculous. lol.

First of all, a substantial portion of your post (seemingly) arguing against Clausen actually argues against Brady Quinn (and I guess the ND offensive system?).

You raise some good points but you also gloss over some of the important ones. Clausen didn't cut his teeth just throwing the ball up haphazardly to Tate and Floyd. He cut his teeth by making reads, anticipating routes, breaking down defenses, and finding the open man. Did I mention that Clausen just loves playing his best football in the fourth quarter, especially on potentially game winning drives? Those are some important things to think about when it comes to a future NFL QB.

Yeah but...even though I'm a big fan of Samuels I think he only lived up to his pro bowl billing in only one or two seasons. Like many linemen he kept getting in there cause as people voted (mostly fans) they were thinking 'yeah I heard of him; so he must be good.'
The voting for OL for the pro bowl is skewed by ignorance. Face it, how many fans know anything about the OL? Yet almost all know the QB,

Still, the stats show that he constantly faced the best DE's the other team had to offer and came out on top. Sure, he gave up 4 or 5 sacks a season, but that's still less than 1% of the times they tried to get by him. I'd take that in a blind side offensive tackle every year and win with it.

Samuels got to more than a few pro bowls on rep alone. the reality is that he was a solid to good player not an elite player. guys like pre injury boselli, Pace, ogden, walt jones are premier Lts guys like samuels and mckinnie are the next step down, good but not amazing.

I think that's pretty much dead on. Samuels was very good, but not quite elite, though he was perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 best downfield run-blocking tackles in the business.

Archived