Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Management Field

GrimReaper21

Im going to college next year. I do pretty good in school and im interested in business. And I was thinking about going into the sports management field. Only this is that not a lot of colleges offer it and i hear its hard to break into? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by SmootSkins21

Im going to college next year. I do pretty good in school and im interested in business. And I was thinking about going into the sports management field. Only this is that not a lot of colleges offer it and i hear its hard to break into? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I do pretty good in school

Hopefully you do well in school as well.

:D

Michigan has a decent kinesiology department, and I believe part of that can be used for a focus in sports management. However, I am not aware of too many big-time programs with that name. Perhaps it's a matter of specializing in business with a heavy dose of classes in the sports-related department.

OK, you know how when they talk about the history of a sports program, for instance Michigan football, they talk about the ghosts of great players from the past? They don't mean it literally, but just the memory, that storied tradition becomes an entity almost unto itself.

Well, I had the privilege of starting SCHOOL at Michigan with Charles Woodson, and after his great career, defensive players will have to contend with his ghost as well as their counterparts on the football field. Hence, Ghost of Woodson is born. And since I changed my email address I had to re-register, so I RETURNED to Extremeskins.

Originally posted by GhostofWoodsonReturns

OK, you know how when they talk about the history of a sports program, for instance Michigan football, they talk about the ghosts of great players from the past? They don't mean it literally, but just the memory, that storied tradition becomes an entity almost unto itself.

Well, I had the privilege of starting at Michigan with Charles Woodson, and after his great career, defensive players will have to contend with his ghost as well as their counterparts on the football field. Hence, Ghost of Woodson is born. And since I changed my email address I had to re-register, so I RETURNED to Extremeskins.

Interesting. So are you actually from the state of Michigan? My wife grew up in Milford about 20 minutes away from Ann Arbor. Also, how do you think Bailey and Woodson compare to each other?

I'd recommend taking lots of classes that may seem out of left field but will help. Take a couple of speach and debate classes. Join the debate team if you have time. It will teach you the art of arguing and negotiation. I'd take a few econ classes as well and probably some writing classes. As for your major, I'd focus on Pre Law and make sure you have top grades to get into a top law school.

Also, being bi-lingual will be a HUGE bonus. I'd take Spanish every semester as well and get fluent.

Good advice Kilmer... Those types of classes will help big time. But one thing to note, when a player choses an agent, it usually comes down to who can offer the most free stuff.

Face it, most of the athletes you will be working with are not the huge stars, but the lower level guys.

My brother chose his agent by the fact that he got him a deal with Wilson and Reebok. If it weren't for that, he would have picked up any other joe. Connections are key.

I took Sports Marketing as an elective while in grad school and can tell you it was one of the funnest business classes I ever took. To me it was 10x more interesting to do a case study on how the Dolphins could increase season ticket sales rather than lets say come up with a marketing plan for Coca-Cola.

Good advice from Kilmer on taking speech classes too. You'll more than likely have a speech class as a business requirement anyway, but if possible, take a few speech classes as electives. No one will care about your education if you can't give a presentation without stuttering or being nervous.

From what I've heard it is a very hard field to break into. You need to start at the very bottom. A few of my friends that majored in Sports Management/Marketing landed jobs at Pro Player doing Dolphins and Marlins ticket sales. Pay was horrible and neither are doing anything in that field now. Ultimately though it'll come down to your work ethic, contacts, personality and luck.

Also, the Sports Management 'major' at your school is most likely the same classes as a regular Management or Marketing major with only a few electives as the difference. I worse came to worse and after 2 years you were no longer interested in Sports Management you could just take a few extra electives and change your major anyway.

Good luck!

:cheers:

Golgo-13(I remember that game for Nintendo by the way!)

My father was from Michigan, but I can't say that I am(moreso Silver Spring and Philly.) I spent some summers and of course, went to school there but that was later in life. Milford...sounds familiar but not as familiar to me as Chelsea, Dexter, Saline, Ypsi, Canton, Milan, etc.

When Woodson was at Michigan, I'd say there was no one better once he got past his freshman year. The one-handed leaping interception he made against Mich. State, well I saved the photo from the newspaper. He was so high in the air and had to get one foot down while catching a ball that everyone thought was going out of bounds.

Woodson, when healthy, is a game-changer. He makes plays that change the momentum of a game, Bailey is more of a steady performer. But as pointed out in another thread, that means risks. Woodson got away with those risks in college, no one could get open on him(except Boston who had to have Woodson slip in order to catch a long ball) but not in the pros where he has been beaten like a drum a few times. Woodson has more attitude and is "tougher" despite his lack of durability of late.

But in the end, I'd pick Bailey. He hasn't been perfect, but he's more steady than Woodson probably ever will be, especially now with the injuries eroding Woodson's quickness.

Smoot-

Look into classes at the University of Southern California. I understand that they have an excellent sports management program. I'm sure there are others, but USC is the one I'm familiar with.

Also, consider continuing on into law school. A lot of sports agents have law degrees. Even if you never want to work as a lawyer, the law degree has an awful lot of other applications where it comes in handy.

BTW- very cool that you played college ball with Woodson, GOWR! :)

redman

I wish. I really should have attempted to walk on, I'm not too bad an athlete and I knew a guy who was a walk-on and besides being maybe 200 lbs was more suited to Dline than WR or RB.

But I meant to say I started school at the same time, he was in my orientation group along with James Hall, C-Woodson and Jon Jansen. I'm sure there were others but I don't remember them as well.

I actually went to the University of Michigan and majored in Sports Management and Communications. Woodson "graduated" with me. Also Tai Streets and a few other guys. Anyway, I loved that major. Classes were great.

Having said that, a degree in SMC and $1.20 will get you a ride on the Metro. Breaking into the sports industry is very hard to do. My advice would be to get a business degree and take some sports related electives, that way you'll have a "real" career to fall back on.

SmootSkins21-

I work for a company that manages arena and facilities, and our parent company, Comcast-Spectacor owns both the Flyers and the 76ers, as well as some Oriole farm teams. Check out these websites and throw out a few emails or phone calls to some of these people, they know there stuff. I'm in accounting, so I doubt that's what you're looking for. But its still a nifty field, I mean how many accountants get to meet Hulk Hogan and Sheryl Crow. :)

www.global-spectrum.com

www.comcast-spectacor.com

Archived