Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels retirement: A hidden Blessing for Campbell

Rocky52Mc

I'm sitting around thinking about Samuels and all, I can't truly be that upset about it. I mean the man was a beast LT and served his time for sure. A real true present day Redskin and he has the most respect that I can give for a player.

So then I started sitting around and thinking a little bit, sure, Chris was old and we needed linemen anyways. Sure, some of us thought he would hang up the cleats this year, sure maybe even the coaching staff thought so. But with it about to be official, does this mean we already have our #1 pick in place?

The line was bad with Samuels at LT last season, it wasn't better when he went down, and it's such a serious problem that the coaching staff obviously can't ignore it.

I think our top pick is already in and I'm sorry Bradford backers, although I'm impressed with the kid myself. I just can't see us NOT going LT at #4. This was a personal decision made by Samuels to better himself in life outside of football, but deep down, this is the best thing that could possibly happen to Jason Campbell.

Thoughts?

HTTR

:point2sky

I look at Ryan Clady and I think our pick is sold. This is where Shanahan left off, and I believe this is where he picks back up. A LT wouldn't run our team, but if you pick up a rookie beast LT, and add other pieces to the O-line, you're talking about a very good start.

that's one way to spin things in a positive light. but there have been a lot of times in the past couple years where we have said "there is no way we can ignore the o-line issues now"... yet we still dont come up with long term solutions.

Then again, we did have egomaniacs at the coaching and front office positions who believed we could slide by ignoring these positions, and that our offensive line coach could simply make ****ty players good.

But Shanahan is different, he believes in the building of an O-line and how your team comes from the ground up. And he knows this because of the great lines that boosted the GREAT QB's he has coached.

Look at that line he left in Denver, it was great.

I honestly do not think Samuels' retirement affects Campbell's status here at all. At 4 we have to draft with the mindset of picking a player who we expect to elevate the level of our team for years and years. QB's often times elevate their team's play more so than a LT. "IF" Shanny & Allen believe that they have the chance of drafting the next Chris Samuels, Joe Thomas, Ogden, W. Jones etc. or the next Rivers, Rodgers, Manning, Brady I think they pick QB hands down. The only blessing for Campbell would be if Shanahan & Allen think he can win them a SB or 2......or 3 for them. Most likely they do not believe that.

Then again, we did have egomaniacs at the coaching and front office positions who believed we could slide by ignoring these positions, and that our offensive line coach could simply make ****ty players good.

But Shanahan is different, he believes in the building of an O-line and how your team comes from the ground up. And he knows this because of the great lines that boosted the GREAT QB's he has coached.

Look at that line he left in Denver, it was great.

that's true... but i will believe it when i see it. personally, i think he would prioritize a QB that he believes in, which would mean resources could go into that rather than the o-line.

Archived