Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Turtle, A Story About Zorn, and Vinny

slaga

Yes, I bought in and I was stupid. I think back sometimes on just how I could have been so stupid, and I usually come back to the same conclusion:

Snyder bringing Gibbs out of retirement bought Snyder a lot of goodwill with me, as well as a tremendous benefit of the doubt. I figured Dan and Vinny had learned so much from Coach Joe that they'd be able to pick the perfect guy to replace Gibbs. And the bits and pieces I had heard about Zorn from his colleagues and former players were very positive.

I was delusional. Coach Joe, as great as he was, cannot turn chicken **** into chicken salad, and he can't make great football executives out of Vinny and Dan.

That said, Zorny never had a chance with the front office we had here. Vinny soured on Zorn just as quickly as he fell in love with him, and undermined him in an effort to deflect focus away from his own shortcomings. It was just a disastrous setup all the way around.

The only thing that worried me about the Zorn hire was that the desire to implement a modified WCO in 2008 after Gibbs left was hauntingly familiar to a similar attempt in 1993. However, the possible promotion of a great defensive coordinator also reminded me of the same thing that happened right after Gibbs left the first time.

Archived