Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone use skype on the iphone?

I_Bleed_B&G

My wife just left for Peru for 1 month and I'm trying to find out the cheapest way we can communicate without spending a lot of money on phone cards and what not. We both have iphones and she has access to wifi where she is. Does the iPhone support skype to one another for free as long as we are both on wifi? She doesn't really have a computer there that she could use this for otherwise I could probably go that route.

I just want to know if we can use skype on our iphones over wifi for free or if there is another app or something that would accomplish the same thing.

Yes, it's free as long as you are Skype to Skype. Before your wife goes make sure that she goes to Settings -> General -> Network on her phone and make sure that Data Roaming is set to off. That will make sure she doesn't accidently drop off WiFi and start chewing through data at the roaming rate. If that happens expect a bill of a few thousand.

Yes, it's free as long as you are Skype to Skype. Before your wife goes make sure that she goes to Settings -> General -> Network on her phone and make sure that Data Roaming is set to off. That will make sure she doesn't accidently drop off WiFi and start chewing through data at the roaming rate. If that happens expect a bill of a few thousand.

Sounds good. She is already in Peru. I unlocked her phone and when she got there, she removed her sim card and bought a sim card there. She gets free incoming calls, but it cost me money cause I have to get phone cards to call her. I'm hoping with skype, we can talk for free.

Sounds good. She is already in Peru. I unlocked her phone and when she got there, she removed her sim card and bought a sim card there. She gets free incoming calls, but it cost me money cause I have to get phone cards to call her. I'm hoping with skype, we can talk for free.

Hey Bleed-

Curious as to why she went to Peru. Macchu Pichu has been in the news lately due to major flooding in the region. Anything to do with all that or even any disaster relief?

Hey Bleed-

Curious as to why she went to Peru. Macchu Pichu has been in the news lately due to major flooding in the region. Anything to do with all that or even any disaster relief?

Chachie...She really didn't go because of the disaster that happened there recently since her trip was planned a few months ago. However she is there as a last year med student who elected to go there and help then needy by performing route medical exams and just talk about awareness. I don't know all the details as she is finding out what to do there on a day to day basis but she is there to help.

Chachie...She really didn't go because of the disaster that happened there recently since her trip was planned a few months ago. However she is there as a last year med student who elected to go there and help then needy by performing route medical exams and just talk about awareness. I don't know all the details as she is finding out what to do there on a day to day basis but she is there to help.

Copy that. :)

Gotcha, that's even better. Yeah, Skype should work just fine for you.

She would get the Magic Jack and set up a phone number with the same area code as you. When you call her, its a local call. (though it eats your cell minutes if that's a factor)

A bunch of co-workers from South America and the Carribean swear by the Magic Jack for their relatives.

Archived