Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orlando Business Journal: Obama to announce high-speed rail plan

#98QBKiller

If the culture in Texas towards public transportation were different - it would be one of the BEST places by far to have a high speed trail system. It would probably rival the Northeast.

It makes so much sense in makes my head hurt because of how anti-public transportation people are in Texas. People at my work think I am poor because I like to take the bus to work - it is just not done here ($18 for all you can ride a month, takes 10 minutes door to door on the bus).

Houston - 4th largest city in the county

San Antonio - 7th largest city in the county

Dallas - 8th largest city in the county

Austin - 15th largest city in the county

How can someone see 4 top 15 cities, 3 top 10 cities, and not think a high speed train would be a good idea?

Best part - our Governor did not even TRY to get the federal money.....because federal money is the devil.....

If the culture in Texas towards public transportation were different - it would be one of the BEST places by far to have a high speed trail system. It would probably rival the Northeast.

It makes so much sense in makes my head hurt because of how anti-public transportation people are in Texas. People at my work think I am poor because I like to take the bus to work - it is just not done here ($18 for all you can ride a month, takes 10 minutes door to door on the bus).

Houston - 4th largest city in the county

San Antonio - 7th largest city in the county

Dallas - 8th largest city in the county

Austin - 15th largest city in the county

How can someone see 4 top 15 cities, 3 top 10 cities, and not think a high speed train would be a good idea?

Best part - our Governor did not even TRY to get the federal money.....because federal money is the devil.....

debilr.jpg

If you price gasoline in terms of gold, the price has remained flat.

That is just plain false. Not even close.

As for the Postal Service, it is an inefficient government monopoly,

They are not inefficient at all. They have been around for 200 freakin' years!

For 44 cents you can send a letter across the country. FEDEX will charge you $20 for that if you ask them to pick it up at your door and deliver it to someone else's. There is no comparison there. The Postal Service cleans FEDEX's clock.

which only exists because the law protects it from real competition. The July 2009 Government Accountability Office report states that the "GAO is adding the US Postal Service's (USPS) financial condition to the list of high-risk areas needing attention by Congress and the executive branch to achieve broad-based transformation."

27 federal programs are currently on the high risk list. The FAA just got off of it and they are fairly well run. Here it is if you want to see it:

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09271.pdf

You'll notice on page 4 it lists a part of the Postal Service that was previously on the list and got off of it in 2007.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who isn't a libertarian Republican that the sole reason why the postal office needs to restructure is because the internet has changed the way people communicate. My generation and your generation simply don't mail letters like our Grandparents did. Less volume = less revenue. It's not because of any inherent Government inefficiency.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09937sp.pdf

John Stossel has some good information regarding the subsidization of the Postal Service:

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com...is-subsidized/

"Not paying parking tickets and monopoly powers are certainly a form of subsidy. In addition, The Post Office doesn't have to pay state or local taxes, and it gets to borrow billions from the government at reduced rates ($10.2 billion, by the end of this year, according to the GAO.) Last year, the FTC found that the Post Office received implicit subsidies of $34 to $117 million -- and that's not counting the monopoly, its biggest benefit."

John Stossil is an idiot. No wonder that wrestler slapped him around like a little *****.

That is beyond weak that he has to look to parking ticket immunity to prove the Federal Postal Service is subsidized.

All large scale businesses take loans. Ford, for example, has $28 billion in debt right now.

The Postal Service has a total revenue of $75 billion. Only a dumbass libertarian would pretend $34 million means they are subsidized.

Seriously. That is the dumbest **** I have ever heard.

I know you'd like to turn this into a Democrat vs. Republican debate, but I'm neither, so we'll leave it at that.

I've seen your posts. You are a Republican. You voted for McCain, McDonnel, Gillmore, etc.

And you don't want to get into a discussion about Postal Service vs. FedEx or UPS because the US postal service kicks the crap out of either of them.

Good God.

The US postal service, like many other government-run entities, is on the verge of bankruptcy.

FedEx and UPS are destroying them.

It is run almost as well as our social security system.

Archived