Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Debate the Spread Offense and Curse of QB

Looking For Number Four

I thought you lost your posting privileges. I could be wrong.

Not sure what he did to do so, but I'm glad he did not, I did not know that and quite an interesting tidbit very prevalent to the debate.

I still think Flacco is one of those gargantuan slow minded people that is never going to top 30 TDs. Although, he is really physically a monster with a HUGE arm and slightly above average QB IQ. I think he will not fail, but will never become elite. You can see him just not ticking upstairs quick enough, even in interviews, a beat or two slower than Brady, Brees, Manning. Kind of a more phsycially gifted Rivers with a notch or three down in awareness and IQ. This, to me, is what makes QBs elite, not "an elite arm" or mobility or the system they came from. If they can read, think, see, and consistently make the throws quickly that work they prevail. Bradford and Clausen, more Bradford to me, can do this over and over and over.

Not sure what he did to do so, but I'm glad he did not, I did not know that and quite an interesting tidbit very prevalent to the debate.

I still think Flacco is one of those gargantuan slow minded people that is never going to top 30 TDs. Although, he is really physically a monster with a HUGE arm and slightly above average QB IQ. I think he will not fail, but will never become elite. He can see him just not ticking upstairs quick enough, even in interviews. This, to me, is what makes QBs elite, not "an elite arm" or mobility or the system they came from. If they can read, think, see, and consistently make the throws quickly that work they prevail. Bradford and Clausen, more Bradford to me, can do this over and over and over.

I thought he lost a Post bet. But ya I like DG post 2..

Clausen will stink in the NFL for at least 4 seasons! With the offensive success of the Pats, Colts, and Saints, NFL teams will go to a more spread offensive-style. But, you need the right QB to run that offense. I know Clausen isn't. I don't know about Bradford. I still want Colt McCoy; he has the abilities to run a high-powered offense. I love watching Peyton Manning run an offense...that's what I want.

To those of you that want Campbell as our starter:

I love Campbell, as a person, nothing more, nothing less.

Watch Peyton Manning play Joe Flacco, he is simply too slow, even with a amazing defense. This game is ruled by Brees, Rodgers, Warner, Romo sits to pee, Manning, and Rivers. Not by Flacco and a great defense. Not by Campbell and our great defense. We must have someone who not only plays at a high level, we need someone who plays at an ELITE level. To those of you that disagree, I hope I'm wrong. I all but utterly certain that I am not.

If you all are wrong, we will continue to see Romo sits to pee decimate us while Campbell allows it to happen.

To those of you that want Campbell as our starter:

I love Campbell, as a person, nothing more, nothing less.

Watch Peyton Manning play Joe Flacco, he is simply too slow, even with a amazing defense. This game is ruled by Brees, Rodgers, Warner, Romo sits to pee, Manning, and Rivers. Not by Flacco and a great defense. Not by Campbell and our great defense. We must have someone who not only plays at a high level, we need someone who plays at an ELITE level. To those of you that disagree, I hope I'm wrong. I all but utterly certain that I am not.

If you all are wrong, we will continue to see Romo sits to pee decimate us while Campbell allows it to happen.

You would think with the Ravens great defense it would make their offense that much better but it hasn't. Flacco is similiar to JC in one aspect, they're both not too emotional. The only time Flacco gets emotional is when he screws up. Flacco gets lucky to play since he too was a 1st round draft pick. If he wasn't, he would/should be sitting the pine like JC.

Nonsense, what's the gimmick? The entire diea of the spread offense is to stretch the Defense out and make them defend every inch of turf. Now some teams have done it in the past it to run better (WVU), some do it to pass (Fill in the blank Conference USA Team) and some do it to really keep defenses honest. But I can tell you this much it isn't a gimmick offense. Simply being a spread team doesn't make it execute, and you need a guy who can make the play calls at the right time. There are so many versions of the spread its hilarious, but the spread is I believe essentially the next evolution of the Option/Run and Shoot style offense.

Good points... I think it's a gimmick offense in college and has been successful in college because there aren't too many defenses that have the scheme or personnel to stop it...

NFL... won't work.

Do you even watch football ? Did you see the NO playoff game yesterday. No used Hawaii's and Texas Tech and Florida's Offense yesterday. Not exclusively, but when they needed yards they went to the empty set. They would actually would pull Shocky out sometimes to run the spread. They got about the same yards in the first half as the redskins get in a whole game that's how affective it is. With a good QB and good line this Offense is almost unstoppable. However you need the right players for it, A good pass rush will generally neutralize this offense. But you can say that about any offense. The NFL is going closer to the spread not farther from it. That's why Shan spent time with June Jones and Meyer this offseason.

(Also note that empty set is not the same as spread offense, but it does happen even in the nfl)

Ya I know. There is a lot of variations of it. Friggen Brees makes that spread offense look awful good. One thing I've noticed is how Important a Quick release is in the NFL these days. guys like Flaco just don't have it.

Nonsense, what's the gimmick? The entire diea of the spread offense is to stretch the Defense out and make them defend every inch of turf. Now some teams have done it in the past it to run better (WVU), some do it to pass (Fill in the blank Conference USA Team) and some do it to really keep defenses honest. But I can tell you this much it isn't a gimmick offense. Simply being a spread team doesn't make it execute, and you need a guy who can make the play calls at the right time. There are so many versions of the spread its hilarious, but the spread is I believe essentially the next evolution of the Option/Run and Shoot style offense.

Most NFL offenses use some spread and spread option concepts.

The good offenses like the 2007 Pats, the Colts, Saints and others use alot of shotgun spread concepts even our OC Kyle Shanahan with the Texans and even Zorn used shotgun empty on occasion.

Ya I know. There is a lot of variations of it. Friggen Brees makes that spread offense look awful good. One thing I've noticed is how Important a Quick release is in the NFL these days. guys like Flaco just don't have it.

Yeah that's my main gripe with JC, he can manage a game, but he can't excell he's not quick on the trigger and his read progressions are slow.

Is Matt Schuab better than both Claussen and Bradford, I don't think so, they are equal is anything.

I don't understand this, how can you consider Claussen and Bradford equal to Schaub who btw was tops in the league passing with 4770 yds a QB rating 98.6 and 29 TDs.

Maybe start with a comparison to Stafford,Sanchez before you jump to making them equal with a top 5 NFL QB.

I don't understand this, how can you consider Claussen and Bradford equal to Schaub who btw was tops in the league passing with 4770 yds a QB rating 98.6 and 29 TDs.

Maybe start with a comparison to Stafford,Sanchez before you jump to making them equal with a top 5 NFL QB.

I don't think he has ever seen Schaub play.

I still think Flacco is one of those gargantuan slow minded people that is never going to top 30 TDs. Although, he is really physically a monster with a HUGE arm and slightly above average QB IQ. I think he will not fail, but will never become elite. You can see him just not ticking upstairs quick enough, even in interviews, a beat or two slower than Brady, Brees, Manning. Kind of a more phsycially gifted Rivers with a notch or three down in awareness and IQ. This, to me, is what makes QBs elite, not "an elite arm" or mobility or the system they came from. If they can read, think, see, and consistently make the throws quickly that work they prevail. Bradford and Clausen, more Bradford to me, can do this over and over and over.

The NFL.com coaches on Joe Flacco

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/09000d5d812d12fa/Film-Study-Joe-Flacco

Archived