Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giant's Strahan Breaks Little Toe

DIESEL TROLL

Sacked: Giants' Strahan breaks little toe

BY TOM CANAVAN

Associated Press

Aug. 5, 2003 7:02 p.m.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP)— NFL single-season sack king Michael Strahan has a broken little toe and his status for the New York Giants' preseason opener against the New England Patriots on Thursday is uncertain.

"If it was the regular season I would be playing," Strahan said Tuesday after the Giants finished practice.

Strahan would not say whether the toe was on his left or right foot, but team spokesman Pat Hanlon said it was the right one.

Strahan was hurt in practice on Monday when a teammate stepped on his foot. He did not participate in either practice on Tuesday.

Giants coach Jim Fassel said there is a chance that Strahan might participate in the walk-through practice on Wednesday at the University at Albany, but he also indicated he wasn't going to take a chance with his starting defensive left end.

"I'll see how he feels," Fassel said. "The main thing is if you break a bone it's going to hurt a little bit. There is nothing you can do for it."

Trainers probably will put some extra padding in Strahan's shoe, Fassel said.

"It's sore, so I don't want him out here," Fassel said. "Sometimes you can do something else when you start favoring one foot. It's nothing dramatic. Trust me. If this was Wednesday, game week, he would have gone today, although I might have given him a little rest."

Strahan, who rarely misses a day of practice, downplayed the injury. He also said he would rather play on Thursday in New England.

"I would rather play to get in shape than not to play and have to ride a stairmaster and hope that gets me in shape," Strahan said.

Strahan scoffed when asked if he would be ready for the regular-season opener against the St. Louis Rams on Sept. 7.

"If I'm not ready for the Rams than there is something wrong with me, I'm a slow healer," Strahan said.

Strahan broke Mark Gastineau's single-season sack record when he recorded 22 sacks in 2001. He added a team-high 11 last season in helping the Giants make the playoffs. The 11-year veteran who has been selected for the last five Pro Bowls has 95.5 career sacks.

Rookie Osi Umenyiora, the second-round draft pick, probably would start because backup end Keith Washington has a hamstring injury.

Strahan and Washington both worked with Umenyiora after practice on Thursday.

Originally posted by DIESEL TROLL

"If I'm not ready for the Rams than there is something wrong with me, I'm a slow healer," Strahan said.

:cheers: Here's to Michael Strahan being a slow healer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing an injury on anyone, but I wouldn't mind seeing Strahan slowed a little this year by a nagging toe injury. Face it, the Skins need all the ehlp they can get to make the playoffs this year.

Man... you guys are dreaming. Strahan is a warrior, and although he may be held out of meaningless preseason games, he'll put some tape on it to hold it on and go to war during the season.

Like Tom said, his mediocre year is what we would all hope for from our healthy starting DEs.

Archived