Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Shanahan to Remake Skins in His Own Image

Fan035

"An intensity burns in Shanahan, 57, that is unique even in a league of megalomaniac coaches. He is not a tall man, stands 5-foot-9, yet his compulsion about the smallest components and his demands that everything be perfect, creates an air of rigid formality."

Here's the whole article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010602487.html?hpid=topnews

Good article. Touches on what makes him great and why he was fired in Denver.

There's a lot to be excited about, he loves to coach and he loves to work at it. However, as noted in several places before...his personnel decisions haven't been good.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The end of the article notes that Allen is good at managing the cap...and thats nice, but don't we already do a masterful job of managing the cap every year?

We need talent evaluators. And good ones.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The end of the article notes that Allen is good at managing the cap...and thats nice, but don't we already do a masterful job of managing the cap every year?

We need talent evaluators. And good ones.

I don't think signing Haynesworth to a $100 million deal was good cap management

He is going to find a weakness and his whole mind-set will be to attack that weakness relentlessly," Brewster said. "It's a chess match and Mike wants to see how you will adjust to what you see. He's great at keeping something he learned in the first quarter all the way until the fourth quarter when he can use it. And it will be lethal.

Love this paragraph.

"I think Pat Bowlen wanted his team back," said one league executive, who asked not to be identified because he will have to maintain a relationship with Shanahan.

The surprise for Shanahan, friends and associates around the NFL say, is that the coach believed he was on the verge of greatness with the Broncos again, that the long search for the next Elway had finally been resolved with quarterback Jay Cutler.

Several times he told people, "I have my Super Bowl offense. All we have to do is fix up the defense."

Instead of the Super Bowl, however, Shanahan was gone.

That is exactly how I felt when Shanny was fired. He was on the verge of greatness again.

That was a pretty great article.

Before the induction, I walked down towards the stage in Canton when Monk and Darrell got in. I didn't really see anything except a bunch of people in suits that looked like family members. I realized I needed to turn around and get back to my seat as I felt out of place in my Monk jersey. When I turned around I almost ran over this guy that looked just like Shanny. I didn't care who it was, I felt like a jackass for bumping into him. I apologized and the dude was polite and said it was okay. But he gave me this dojo feeling in my head like, "You MORON; WATCH WHERE THE **** YOU'RE GOING!" I always wondered if it was who I suspected. The sticking point was that he was way shorter than me, and I didn't believe it was him as I am not exactly Minut Bol. Thanks to this article, I now KNOW IT WAS HIM. That weekend just keeps getting cooler and cooler...

Archived