Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking about season tickets, needs some advice.

Touch of Class 17

In December of '99, the team sent invoices to everybody asking them to pay for two playoff games in advance (even though the team had not yet qualified for the post season), noting that any excess would be applied to the 2000 invoice, or refunded if requested.

>> I believe the only way you can get the money refunded (and not applied to next year's invoice) was if you canceled your tickets. I seem to remember the ticket office telling this to a friend of my dad's (not sure if this was 1999 or later).

To emphasis MTH's point about playoff tickets, a friend of mine got some tickets ffrom the TO for the 1999 Lions game at face since his daughter was on the wait list. Simarly, I got playoff tickets for the 1982 Lions game by waiting in line at RFK the day they went on sale. My brother and I got there about 1 hour before they went on sale and we both got a pair of upper deck sideline seats. We tried this again in 1983 for the Rams game, but those sold out real quick.

BTW, for those folks considering premium tickets....don't forget that the team has sued people over premium ticket contracts.

Beware of the restricted view seats.

I disagree.

I can take great pride in knowing that my first year as a Redskins season ticket holder was this glorious season just now coming to a close, so take that for what you will.

I recieved the chance to go and get these restricted view seats, and they are somewhat of a joke in regards to view and location, but what makes them so clutch is the price. I'm talking $30 a game. You can't get tickets that cheap from scalpers, ebay, craigslist, anywhere. $30 is nothing when your talking 'at the game' experience.

I got playoff tickets for the 1982 Lions game by waiting in line at RFK the day they went on sale. My brother and I got there about 1 hour before they went on sale and we both got a pair of upper deck sideline seats. We tried this again in 1983 for the Rams game, but those sold out real quick.

Do you remember when those tix would go on sale?

I suspect the tix you purchased at RFK were those returned from the visiting team since the Redskins didn't advertise single game seats in those days.

I've read that the returned tickets would go onsale at the RFK ticket window a few hours before a kickoff. The same procedure is employed today at other NFL venues which actually sell out for every game.

As far as I know, the Redskins are the only NFL team to advertise the sale of 'returned tickets', all the while boasting of endless sellouts and a record waiting list.:hysterical:

I disagree.

I recieved the chance to go and get these restricted view seats, and they are somewhat of a joke in regards to view and location, but what makes them so clutch is the price.

And your rational is the only reason I'm holding on to the last pair of my family STs dating back to Griffith Stadium. If it weren't for the $32 OVs and an 'emotional attachment to the past' I'd be long gone by now. I never even sat in my OVs this year, but I've found a way to make the most of them.

You can't get tickets that cheap from scalpers, ebay, craigslist, anywhere.

Actually, upper level seats average about $20 in the parking lot for most games.

However, I sat in the 400 level for one game this year and quickly remembered why I was so happy to relocate to the OVs in 2004. I'd take any OV seat over any 400 level seat given the difference in price and fan atmosphere.

I recieved the chance to go and get these restricted view seats, and they are somewhat of a joke in regards to view and location, but what makes them so clutch is the price. I'm talking $30 a game. You can't get tickets that cheap from scalpers, ebay, craigslist, anywhere. ...

This is not necessarily true. I've won a PAIR of tickets on eBay in the upper level sidelines for my daughter. It was section 451 row 22, IIRC, for an October game. $30 for the PAIR (if you do the math, that's $15 for each ticket). I won them on a Friday evening before the Sunday afternoon game. They were close, so I picked them up in person Saturday morning - no shipping fee.

Use market timing and sniping in an eBay auction. You can get killer deals for upper levels, clubs, whatever.

OTOH, if you simply log onto a ticket site at your convenience and buy whatever you see, you'd be correct. The deals aren't going to just walk up and present themselves to you. There is a strategy involved.

Re clubs, the price is around $5,000 a pair for EZ, and around $10,000 a pair for between the 20s. They're giving up to a 50% discount on new contracts, though.

I believe the Skins are still offering club seats at 40% off. End zone seats at this price are $1777 per seat, or $3544 for a pair. Original face value for EZ clubs are $295O per seat, or $5900 for a pair.

Mark, just to clarify the OP's question.......assuming that they are still making people sign up for 6, 8, or 10 year contracts.......

Actually no, with the 40% off deal we got, we signed a 3 year contract

I believe the Skins are still offering club seats at 40% off. End zone seats at this price are $1777 per seat, or $3544 for a pair. Original face value for EZ clubs are $295O per seat, or $5900 for a pair.
Yeah, that's right. I believe there is another $137 tax added per seat which pushes the price over $6 grand for a pair of EZ clubs (before the recent discount). That's more than triple the $995 per seat price in 1999.
Actually no, with the 40% off deal we got, we signed a 3 year contract
Yep - if you do a tag search on "ticket office" there are quite a few threads documenting the negotiating power of a club seat buyer. 6, 8, and 10 years are standard, I believe, but you can command a smaller term. You can also demand a lower escalation interest rate (3% vice 6%). I remember reading this in one of the threads before the 2009 season.

I'm not hatin here b/c they gotta do what they gotta do to sell club seats. However, I think it's funny that TO agents are still using the word 'discount'.

It seems as if the 40% discount has been offered for the past six months to anyone who appears interested, more of a sign that premium prices have been reduced by 40% than an actual discount.

I tend to think of a 'discount' as a temporary incentive or a one time deal, not something that will be marketed for several months and remain effective over the life of a multi year contract.

Obviously, advertising the price slashes wouldn't do much to quell the already outraged premium seat holders who will be paying escalated prices for years to come.

The 40% discount may not be advertised, but I wonder how long you need to be in conversation w/ an agent before this supposed 'discount' is presented.

Archived