Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking about season tickets, needs some advice.

Touch of Class 17

I won 2 tickets to last nights Dallas game. We had club level seats in section 325. I thought the seats were great and enjoyed being on the club level. I am expecting the Redskins to contact me about season tickets opportunities but I'm not sure how it works. In other words, do you pay for all the tickets in one lump some up front, or do you pay a portion and make payments on the rest. Also can I sell my tickets for a profit? What would be the minimum level or section to acquire tickets in that would result in a decent experience at the game? What's the parking situation? Thanks for your help.

You pay upfront. You can NOT sell your tickets for a profit b/c there is no margin to do so. You'll pay premium money for Club Seats and will never sell them for more than you paid for them. Club Level is a minimum of $6500 for two seats from what we were quoted to downgrade from our $10000 pair of tickets two years ago.

You'd be crazy to get season tickets as you can always buy tickets on Ebay or Stubhub for much cheaper and they're always available. Right now, season tickets are pointless and you can always get Club Level season ticketss two or three years down the road, even if the team improves and has a better demand. Don't do it pal, I'm telling you :)

You pay upfront. You can NOT sell your tickets for a profit b/c there is no margin to do so. You'll pay premium money for Club Seats and will never sell them for more than you paid for them. Club Level is a minimum of $6500 for two seats from what we were quoted to downgrade from our $10000 pair of tickets two years ago.

You'd be crazy to get season tickets as you can always buy tickets on Ebay or Stubhub for much cheaper and they're always available. Right now, season tickets are pointless and you can always get Club Level season ticketss two or three years down the road, even if the team improves and has a better demand. Don't do it pal, I'm telling you :)

Makes plenty of sense.

The genie is out of the bottle. Not sure what Snyder will do now.

The reason you "won" those tickets is because the team was unable to sell them. Think about that.

If you buy premiums, you can pay in installments. It's three or four payments you'd have to make. They do not send your tickets until you pay in full. I know some premiums don't get their tickets in the mail until the week before the game because of this.

Re clubs, the price is around $5,000 a pair for EZ, and around $10,000 a pair for between the 20s. They're giving up to a 50% discount on new contracts, though. The contracts include Orange club parking for an additional $350.

Nevertheless, it's best to heed RFKFedex's advice above because cheap Clubs can always be easily found in auction on eBay - generally $250-$300 for a pair of excellent sidelines seats with parking.

The reason you "won" those tickets is because the team was unable to sell them. Think about that.

If you buy premiums, you can pay in installments. It's three or four payments you'd have to make. They do not send your tickets until you pay in full. I know some premiums don't get their tickets in the mail until the week before the game because of this.

Re clubs, the price is around $5,000 a pair for EZ, and around $10,000 a pair for between the 20s. They're giving up to a 50% discount on new contracts, though. The contracts include Orange club parking for an additional $350.

Nevertheless, it's best to heed RFKFedex's advice above because cheap Clubs can always be easily found in auction on eBay - generally $250-$300 for a pair of excellent sidelines seats with parking.

Mark, just to clarify the OP's question.......assuming that they are still making people sign up for 6, 8, or 10 year contracts.......you still only pay the seats by year, right? Meaning, you pay the amount due for the upcoming season before March 1 or April 1, and don't have to pay the full amount for the duration of the contract all at once.

Otherwise, though, I would agree that clubs are not worth it, unless you can get one of those sweet discounts you alluded to, which MIGHT make it worth it.

Mark, just to clarify the OP's question.......assuming that they are still making people sign up for 6, 8, or 10 year contracts.......you still only pay the seats by year, right? Meaning, you pay the amount due for the upcoming season before March 1 or April 1, and don't have to pay the full amount for the duration of the contract all at once.

Not quite right.

Say you buy a six year contract today. The team will let you pay the 2010 invoice in three or four installments, if you wish. The installments will run beyond the spring, into the summer, and the final installment may even be paid in the fall. This is why the tickets are held and not sent out until a week or two prior to a specific game (e.g. Game 1 tix are sent out a week or two before Game 1, Game 2 tix are sent out a week or two before game 2, etc.).

When the season is over, the same payment plan is available for 2011, and 2012, etc.

i was talking to someone in the DC area at Church this year, didn't renew his 4 tickets to whereever he said he had them, and with the money he bought a huge TV, and made his own Redskins/Caps room, and just watches games there.

All for less then what he spent on the 4 tickets, and his family loves it. Has people over every single week for a Redskins party.

i was talking to someone in the DC area at Church this year, didn't renew his 4 tickets to whereever he said he had them, and with the money he bought a huge TV, and made his own Redskins/Caps room, and just watches games there.

All for less then what he spent on the 4 tickets, and his family loves it. Has people over every single week for a Redskins party.

Same thing I did. I have never looked back, and never been happier.

I'm going to give one quick answer that is a slightly opposing viewpoint.

I'm a season ticket holder in the Lower Level and I go to every game. I love the whole "being at the game" experience", being at the field, etc. I love the ES tailgating, and I generally enjoy the day there. A few things.

1. I never buy food or drinks in the Stadium, so it's not a black hole for me beyond the initial ticket purchases.

2. I've never been in a fight at the Stadium, nor been in any sort of situation that would color my opinion as to the "game day" experience. But I have seen many people complain about these sorts of things on this board.

3. I'm out tailgating a good 5-6 hours before most games, as well as tailgating afterwards, so I've never had to deal with the awful parking and traffic issues we hear so much about.

So keep that in mind when I say I enjoy myself and like going to games; I do as much as humanly possible to avoid all the potential pitfalls that come with being a season ticket holder. And even with all that, if it weren't for the ES tailgate and the good people I hang out with, I'd probably drop my tickets and just do what MTH or RFKFedex do for every game.

I definitly would NOT buy clubs, if I were you.

Buying season tickets to Fedex is a mistake.

You can buy tickets for every game you want. The ticket office had tickets to every game this year, if you wanted to go thru the TO. If you went through craigslist, you got an even better deal.

If you like the idea of sitting in the same seat every week, fine. But you will pay much more.

Club seats were selling for about $100/ticket for pretty much every game this year on craigslist. Do the math

To the OP; Touch of Class 17,

There's an ES member named MadRedskinsFan. MRS will tell you first hand about his nightmare that has been club seat ownership. He's attempted to sell some games to recover costs, only to learn that his seats have an average market value of about 30% of what he's currently paying the Redskins. The cost of the tickets increases every year of the contract, despite a steady decrease in market value as the season progresses.

If you really want season tickets so you can sit in the same seats each week etc., I suggest searching Craigslist in the months of August and early September. There were dozens of DC area people last year selling lower level seats at cost. There were hundreds of listings for upper deck seats at face. If you wait till after preseason but before the home opener, you can usually find 8 game packages at face, a 20% discount for not having to pay full price for preseason.

Like others have suggested, I recommend the single game ticket route for better prices and seat locations than any season ticket package the team will sell you. You can even buy the single games from the Redskins ticket office; though Ebay, Craigs, and Stubhub will usually have better deals and locations.

This year has been a very down year for prices. Normally you pay MORE than face value for NFC East games, Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys. Cowboy games at Fedex are nearly double face value on eBay. Non conference games usually are well below face value. If you want to buy season tickets, don't buy from the TO. You can sign up for the ticket waiting list and receive e-mails for available individual game tickets or you can start looking in February and you'll see some good deals on eBay or Craigslist. Beware of the restricted view seats.

Here is a OLD thread started by MTH (the guru of all things having to do with FedEx field). When I first read it, I disagreed, but now, I think he is right. Throw your invoices in the trash and pick up seats through EBay, StubHub, Craigslist, or even this board. That's what I plan to do with my season tickets (although it may also be that child #2 is coming in Feb)

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=185854

Here's a slightly opposing viewpoint:

Sure it's easy enough to get seats now without getting season tix, and it's cheaper to boot. But, that's cause the skins aren't good now. Perhaps others here have a better sense, but what was it like during the Gibbs I era when the redskins were good? (or even the good years during Gibbs II?)

For me, the main reason to buy season tix is bc if (when?) the redskins get good, presumably tickets will be harder to come by. In that case, you'll be glad you got the season tix.

Also, just cause I'm ignorant, how are playoff tix distributed--do season ticket holders get preferential allotments?

Bottom line: for me, season tix (like stocks) are a gamble/investment. When the redskins are good, it makes more sense to hold them. When they're bad, it makes less sense.

Here's a slightly opposing viewpoint:

Sure it's easy enough to get seats now without getting season tix, and it's cheaper to boot. But, that's cause the skins aren't good now. Perhaps others here have a better sense, but what was it like during the Gibbs I era when the redskins were good? (or even the good years during Gibbs II?)

For me, the main reason to buy season tix is bc if (when?) the redskins get good, presumably tickets will be harder to come by. In that case, you'll be glad you got the season tix.

Also, just cause I'm ignorant, how are playoff tix distributed--do season ticket holders get preferential allotments?

Bottom line: for me, season tix (like stocks) are a gamble/investment. When the redskins are good, it makes more sense to hold them. When they're bad, it makes less sense.

I've answered this question dozens of times over the years, and I'm happy to answer it again.

There is no presuming and there is no gambling. You'll do better on the aftermarket. It doesn't matter if the Redskins are good or bad, playoff bound, running five wins in a row - whatever. You're better off in the aftermarket by using market timing (i.e. buying the week before the game). I am not guessing. I've learned this through experience and I can report it as fact.

I believe this is partly because the stadium is too big and partly because the ticket prices are already inflated beyond their reasonable value. The team effectively doubled lower level tickets and hiked club prices 150% since Snyder purchased the team (via a price hike in early 2000 and again in early 2006). If tickets had stayed at a reasonable price, you might be right. But they have not. When you consider that inflation is only running about 3% a year over the past decade, you can appreciate how high ticket prices have climbed since Snyder bought the team. And I think this is the main reason season ticket holders can't get value back by reselling their tickets.

Re your question about playoffs - I can answer that because I remember the Detroit game vividly.

In December of '99, the team sent invoices to everybody asking them to pay for two playoff games in advance (even though the team had not yet qualified for the post season), noting that any excess would be applied to the 2000 invoice, or refunded if requested. Fans were not given the option to purchase one playoff game, they had to send in money for two playoff games. And apparently, many fans balked, because the team soon canvased their waiting list trying to sell the playoff tickets that the season ticket holders didn't buy. As a result of that, tickets @ face value were EASY to acquire for that game. There were plenty of tickets. So yes, season ticket holders have a perceived advantage at buying post-season tickets, but based on what happened the last time, it doesn't matter.

Archived