Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny's D Coord.

TV aka TeeVeli aka BAMBAM30

The 4-3 looks best for the players we have. We need to start with the O-line, change the coaching staff and draft a QB. However, we need to let the new coach keep the players he wants and make all of the draft and free agency picks. Dan needs to take a vacation but leave his check book on the desk.

I'm not even that high on Jerry Gray but I'd much prefer him to Shanny's last Denver d-coordinator Slowik. He was a horrendous DC by all accounts. Mike Nolan Denver's D playing at a much higher level and that's MIKE NOLAN we're talking about.

Talk about someone I couldn't wait see leave DC. Nolan was bad here, I mean really bad as in worse then Jason. :D

You don't have to worry about Shanahan being blindly loyal to his defensive coordinator. If anything, he erred on the other end of that spectrum, firing 3 different coordinators in 3 years prior to settling on Slowik the year before he was fired. Who knows, maybe, in Shanahan's mind, all of the instability was contributing to the problems on defense and he just wanted to keep a guy in place for a couple of years to get things moving in the right direction. (just speculating).

I know one thing: he isn't shy about firing assistants.

IF Shanahan turns out to be the Head Coach, then he and Bruce should pick the Defensive Coordinator. While we have definitely had some great defensive teams over the past few years with the Gregg Williams/Greg Blache schemes (under which Jerry Gray can probably adequately do the same thing), I would want the Head Coach and GM to make that decision rather than have a staff already assembled without his consent (e.g. Coach Zorn with EVERYBODY except two running back coaches, one of which he turned into an offensive coordinator).

Archived