Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gannett: Dreaded December arrives for Cowboys

tr1

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20091202/SPORTS/912020332/Dreaded-December-arrives-for-Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys don't want to answer the questions and often minimize the premise, but the record speaks for itself.

Since quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee took control of the Cowboys in 2006, the team has floundered after the calendar hits December.

It happened in 2006. And 2007. And 2008. It's not so much an aberration anymore, but a trend. And despite the Cowboys' façade, it's been addressed.

Including this season's 8-3 start, with Romo sits to pee starting under center, the Cowboys boast a sparkling 30-7 mark prior to Dec. 1. The mark drops to 5-10 thereafter.

Night and Day? Jekyll and Hyde? Choke under pressure? Whatever label you want to attach to the dichotomy, it's not pretty.

"If history tells you (December) is bad, then I'm sure that it has been," Romo sits to pee said.

Several of the losses (not surprising considering the importance of games this time of the year) have been killers. Some have been season-enders and others have put the writing on the wall.

After Romo sits to pee wrestled the starting job away from a struggling Drew Bledsoe in 2006, he dropped the snap on a field goal attempt that cost Dallas a playoff game at Seattle.

The following season, the Cowboys steamrolled through the regular season (13-3) and captured the No. 1 seed in the NFC. However, they were immediately sent packing after a home loss to the New York Giants at Texas Stadium. Romo sits to pee's 64.7 quarterback rating in that game included 18 completions in 36 attempts.

Last year provided one of the ugliest post-Dec. 1 flops. The Cowboys went 1-3 and got jackhammered by the Baltimore Ravens in Texas Stadium's swan song. Still, the 9-6 Cowboys had a chance to qualify for the postseason with a victory at Philadelphia in the season finale.

Dallas was steamrolled 44-6 as Romo sits to pee compiled 183 yards passing and a 55.8 rating.

"You always want to finish strong," Romo sits to pee said. "It's one of those weird statistics. Quarterback stats in the second half of the season are never going to be as good because it's colder weather and all of the defenses have more tape."

Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys find themselves on a similar stage — atop the NFC East — once again.

"We've done all this work to get to this point and we don't need to let it slip away," tight end Jason Witten said after a blowout victory against Oakland on Thanksgiving.

Romo sits to pee believes stout late-season schedules have made a difference.

"If you play the Eagles, the Giants, the Ravens and the Steelers, it's going to be a tough month no matter when you're doing it," he said. "Does that give you an excuse? No, because at some point you've got to beat them to accomplish your goals."

The impending stretch run won't offer Dallas any help in reversing the trend.

Three road games, two division leaders — including one unbeaten team — and three divisional foes stand in the way of rewriting history.

"We probably have as tough a schedule as anybody has "»" Phillips said, "but I think we feel good about if we play well we can do well."

The Cowboys travel to play the 6-5 Giants on Sunday. A primetime affair against the New Orleans Saints (11-0) is set for Dec. 19 before a trip to 3-8 Washington the following week. Dallas' two remaining home dates will feature AFC West leader San Diego (8-3) and 7-4 Philadelphia.

"We have got to play; got to work," Dallas running back Tashard Choice said. "We can do a lot of great things, but we have to work. We have to play one game at a time. December is only going to get worse. We have to stay focused."

Even though head coach Wade Phillips deflects post-Dec. 1 talk as "baseball stats," he admitted Monday that his late-season approach has been altered for the 2009 campaign.

"I won't elaborate, but some of the stuff the players will be able to notice," he said. "Some of the stuff, they won't."

The late-season struggles aren't limited to Romo sits to pee's crew. It's been 13 years since the Cowboys posted a winning record after Dec. 1 (3-2 in 1996).

"It's all about the mentality of the team," Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "You look a lot of these games (this season) — there hasn't been a lot of blowout games. There's been games where we have to flight back during adverse times and that's how December's going to be. No matter what we say, that's how December is going to be. I think we're going to be able to push through it this season."

No matter what the Cowboys say, the football world will have to see it to believe it.

"It's one of those weird statistics. Quarterback stats in the second half of the season are never going to be as good because it's colder weather and all of the defenses have more tape."

It's NEVER his fault.

Anyone see a trend?

It's NEVER his fault.

Anyone see a trend?

A trend? Sure, I see a trend.

I see a miserable Redskins fan, watching his team stink it up this season, who wants fans of the division leader to be as miserable as he is.

Not going to happen, but keep it up, you're not making us miserable, you're amusing the heck out of all of us.

A trend? Sure, I see a trend.

I see a miserable Redskins fan, watching his team stink it up this season, who wants fans of the division leader to be as miserable as he is.

Not going to happen, but keep it up, you're not making us miserable, you're amusing the heck out of all of us.

Another sad stupid puke fan. Yes, I used a bad word, but it gets tiresome continuously having to read the lack of intelligent posting from new puke posters. Usually, I just ignore them and move on.

But, today, I decided to answer the burning question.

TR posts this stuff regardless of the skins record. If they were 11-0 TR would be posting the same thing. This is the ATN and TR likes to point out the failings of our hated rival.

If you want to read about the failure of the skins, visit the Stadium. Plenty of threads there.

Another sad stupid puke fan. Yes, I used a bad word, but it gets tiresome continuously having to read the lack of intelligent posting from new puke posters. Usually, I just ignore them and move on.

But, today, I decided to answer the burning question.

TR posts this stuff regardless of the skins record. If they were 11-0 TR would be posting the same thing. This is the ATN and TR likes to point out the failings of our hated rival.

If you want to read about the failure of the skins, visit the Stadium. Plenty of threads there.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that we're your "hated rivals."

Since our fanbase has pretty muched moved on to the Eagles and Giants, I keep forgetting how hated we are by Skins fans.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that we're your "hated rivals."

Since our fanbase has pretty muched moved on to the Eagles and Giants, I keep forgetting how hated we are by Skins fans.

:stop: Almost EVERY Cowboys fans (bless their hearts) still consider the Redskins their biggest rivals more than Dallas. I don't know what kind of Cowboys fan you are, but you're unlike most I know.

:stop: Almost EVERY Cowboys fans (bless their hearts) still consider the Redskins their biggest rivals more than Dallas. I don't know what kind of Cowboys fan you are, but you're unlike most I know.

Dude lives in Kansas, do they get the Cowboys game out there?

No we don't. That ended several years back when we won like 8 or 10 in a row. It was soo many I can't recall. Thats when most Cowboys fans moved on to the eagles and giants. The skins could get it back if they had a legit coach and QB and posed a legit threat for the division. Until that day comes, they are an afterthought.

No we don't. That ended several years back when we won like 8 or 10 in a row. It was soo many I can't recall. Thats when most Cowboys fans moved on to the eagles and giants. The skins could get it back if they had a legit coach and QB and posed a legit threat for the division. Until that day comes, they are an afterthought.

And this guy lives in Ashburn...:doh:

What unintelligent puke fans don't realize is that their team wouldn't exist without the skins. The addition of their team into the league is completely founded on the common hatred.

The rivalry is more than some losses that happened 10 years ago, that time is for people who don't even understand the NFCE rivalry. There have been times the pukes sucked, but knowledgeable skins fans still hated them. The rivalry is more than the record.

If puke fans say that its not a rivalry because at one point they had a decent win streak, how about skins fans say its not a rivalry because in the entire history of the sport the pukes have never beaten us in the postseason? Or haven't even notched 1 win in the playoffs over that small little span when they had a win streak on us? They still haven't won 1 playoff game, and they are setting records in postseason futility, where's the rivalry in that? At least we do as much as we can with what little we're given!

And this guy lives in Ashburn...:doh:

What unintelligent puke fans don't realize is that their team wouldn't exist without the skins. The addition of their team into the league is completely founded on the common hatred.

The rivalry is more than some losses that happened 10 years ago, that time is for people who don't even understand the NFCE rivalry. There have been times the pukes sucked, but knowledgeable skins fans still hated them. The rivalry is more than the record.

First, I no longer live in Ashburn. I moved back to Hampton Roads about 2 years ago. I know all about the history but so what, you can dwell on that all you want. I want Dallas to win the division and go on to have playoff success. Lately, those things have had very little to do with the skins. Philly used to beat us twice every year so they became the measuring stick for me. I knew as soon as they could beat philly, they could win the division. Then the giants got good and stood in their way. Thats how I view the biggest rival. I could care less about what happened 30 or 40 years ago. You can cling to that stuff and I fully understand why Dallas is your biggest rival. I'm sorry you feel offended that the skins are no longer Dallas' biggest rival but that is the truth and has been for some time. San Fran was a much bigger rival in the 90's than the skins. When your team is good again and stands in the way of the division title, then its likely they will again be the biggest rival. When they just plain suck, nobody really cares!

First, I no longer live in Ashburn. I moved back to Hampton Roads about 2 years ago. I know all about the history but so what, you can dwell on that all you want. I want Dallas to win the division and go on to have playoff success. Lately, those things have had very little to do with the skins. Philly used to beat us twice every year so they became the measuring stick for me. I knew as soon as they could beat philly, they could win the division. Then the giants got good and stood in their way. Thats how I view the biggest rival. I could care less about what happened 30 or 40 years ago. You can cling to that stuff and I fully understand why Dallas is your biggest rival. I'm sorry you feel offended that the skins are no longer Dallas' biggest rival but that is the truth and has been for some time. San Fran was a much bigger rival in the 90's than the skins. When your team is good again and stands in the way of the division title, then its likely they will again be the biggest rival. When they just plain suck, nobody really cares!

The only thing that stands in your way of anything is the month of December and the playoffs.

And please explain how the rivalry came to, are you sure you actually know?

Also...paragrahs are your friends.

Coolbeans...if (a big IF) the Skins beat the Cowboys later this month in a game that will most likely mean a lot to Dallas, does that continue to rebuild the rivalry in your eyes?

I mean, already in the past 5 years we've seen:

2005: A Redskins sweep of Dallas in a year that Washington went to the playoffs and won a playoff game while Dallas missed the playoffs by 2 games (the 2 that Washington won).

2007: A Redskins win vs. Dallas in the last game of the season so Washington made the playoffs.

2008: A Redskins win IN Dallas in a year that Dallas missed the playoffs by one game.

I am leaving out the 2006 Redskins win because it really didn't impact either team's season. But essentially the Redskins have come up big vs. Dallas over the past 5 years. So, to cite the fact that in 2001, when both teams sucked, Dallas dominated Washington seems a bit odd.

Would another Skins win that potentially hurts your playoff chances change your mind about a rivalry?

I rate the rival between the Boys and skins around number 3 or 4....I put both the rival between the boys/eagles and boys/giants higher.....

But that may be due to the larger fan base....face it out side of Washington the skins fan base faulters fast...

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_07.pdf

Those are called bandwagon fans. That's a dumbass poll.

I rate the rival between the Boys and skins around number 3 or 4....I put both the rival between the boys/eagles and boys/giants higher.....

But that may be due to the larger fan base....face it out side of Washington the skins fan base faulters fast...

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_07.pdf

It helps to at least read to the 2nd paragraph:

"These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,334 adults, of whom 1,194 follow professional football, surveyed online between September 8 and 15, 2009 by Harris Interactive "

So half the people they surveyed don't even follow football, yeah, thats a real convenient stat.

Dude lives in Kansas, do they get the Cowboys game out there?

Nothing like a skins fan trying to ridicule a Boys fan because he doesn't live in Texas by responding to a post from a skins fan in TN.

Almost as good as a 20yr old trying to lecture Boy's fans on history and how the skins have to be our primary rival. I personally hate all 3 NFCE teams and relish beating them all. The degree of hate may fluctuate some based on how well that team does overall (NYG) or against Dallas directly (PHI). Two areas that the skins haven't excelled at lately.

However, I must say my personal desire in wanting to beat Wash had gone down but has peaked since I started following the ATN a few years ago. Another good thing about the ATN and our favorite skins fan, tr1. Keep up the good work.

Those are called bandwagon fans. That's a dumbass poll.

Exactly, notice how all the teams who did good last year had an increase in fans?! All the teams who didn't do so well had a decrease?! But eh, thats 99% of the pukes fanbase anyways....I say keep em, I don't want em anyways.

Another die hard fan from the state of Texas I see. Nope, never encountered a puke bandwagon fan on this site before.

Hey genius.

I'm in the Army (I figured "Army Cowboy" might give that away, but bless your hearts, some of you guys just can't figure it out) and I'm stationed at Ft Riley Kansas. Maybe you've heard of it, 1st Infantry Division, Big Red One.....

Anyway, most Cowboys fans DO NOT consider the Redskins their biggest rival.

Our biggest rival is Philly, followed very closely by the Giants, with the Redskins third.

The Skins are a rival, just not the biggest.

Maybe you should have figured that out when Jerry Jones said he wanted the GIANTS, not the Redskins, to be out first opponant at Cowboys Stadium.

Archived