Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: Would running our Cobra package be more effective?

chaught76

Hey gang:

Got another question for you all. I know there is a lot concern about offense, so I didn't want to start another thread about that, so I had idea about something different for our defense. Would the defense benefit more from using our Cobra package as our base defense?

I think it would for the following reasons:

1) It keeps Orakpo on the D-line where he belongs. I like Daniels, but let's face it; how effective can he be with a torn arm muscle?

2) Horton will be on the field more. The guy is playmaker, so why not use him like a safety-linebacker hybrid.

3) Doughty will be on the field more. Reed is much better in coverage than Horton and very intelligent.

4) Summation of points 2 & 3, it uses more of our strengths. Our safeties are pretty darn good, using the cobra package puts more playmakers on the field.

5) Teams would have to spend a little more time game planning against us because we wouldn't be using one of the run of the mill 4-3 or 3-4 defensive packages.

That's it. I hope I can start a good conversation, because things seem pretty down around here right now.

Peace and HTTR!!!

What is the lineup for a Cobra package?

4 downlineman, 2 LB, 2 corners and 3 DBS?

That's what I think it is. Carter, Griffin, Haynesworth, Orakpo on the line. Fletcher and McIntosh as LBs. Horton, Landry, and Doughty as safeties, and of course Rogers and Hall at corner. The only problem with it is going against jumbo packages. Lots of speed but very little in size past the second level.

Cobra 4-3

4 DL/w Orakpo @ DE

a Safety @ SAM Horton/Moore

BTW- We use this often sometimes we even use nickel/dime Cobra where a S comes in for LB/CB

It's the closest you will get to a 4-6 defense the way it's lined up and played, but we don't play our corners up close to the line and receivers like the 46 is suppose too, it's definitely our strength at defense I think. It's also the only package that we can get any pressure on the QB, and we would have 3 turnovers on this package alone if Carlos Rogers could catch a dayum ball. Here's an image of the true 46 line up, difference is our Cobra keeps corners off receivers, and puts a safety, "usualy Reed" into the LB area where he can blitz or cover.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track.

The cobra package as the Redskins have used it in the past is made up of:

- 4 D-line men

- 2 LBs

- 3 Safeties

- 2 Cornerbacks

It is different from the traditionally defined 4-6 defensive because a 4-6 still uses 3 LBs typically bunched more to the strong side of the formation a safety walked up to the weak side.

Effectively, the following base personnel would be used in the formation:

- Orakpo, Haynesworth, Griffin, Carter

- Fletcher, McIntosh

- Horton, Landry, Doughty

- Hall, Rogers

Since Horton is a bigger, more physical safety, the idea would be to play him closer to the line of scrimmage as a hybrid SLB/SS role. Also, since our safeties are a strong part of this defense, this package would better utilize our talents and get Orakpo's hand in the dirt.

Jumbo packages would be offensive counter-punch to this defensive formation; however player alignment and horizontal field position can be used to help minimize the effectiveness of the jumbo package against this defensive formation.

Hope that helps and gets this thread back to a football related discussion.

Peace.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track.

The cobra package as the Redskins have used it in the past is made up of:

- 4 D-line men

- 2 LBs

- 3 Safeties

- 2 Cornerbacks

It is different from the traditionally defined 4-6 defensive because a 4-6 still uses 3 LBs typically bunched more to the strong side of the formation a safety walked up to the weak side.

Effectively, the following base personnel would be used in the formation:

- Orakpo, Haynesworth, Griffin, Carter

- Fletcher, McIntosh

- Horton, Landry, Doughty

- Hall, Rogers

Since Horton is a bigger, more physical safety, the idea would be to play him closer to the line of scrimmage as a hybrid SLB/SS role. Also, since our safeties are a strong part of this defense, this package would better utilize our talents and get Orakpo's hand in the dirt.

Jumbo packages would be offensive counter-punch to this defensive formation; however player alignment and horizontal field position can be used to help minimize the effectiveness of the jumbo package against this defensive formation.

Hope that helps and gets this thread back to a football related discussion.

Peace.

Good break down.

Horton is well suited for that walkup safety role, but it seems to me that Landry's talents would make him well suited for that too. He seems underutilized as the way-back free safety - though I don't know who could fill that role to free Landry for the walkup role.

This is a Cobra package that teams would fear more...

boys28tn.jpg

:hysterical: Dude, Im DYING!!!! Theoretically, it sounds good. And even with jumbo packages, I still think Horton would be able to shed blockers. But, I think coaches are really smart but stubborn. It's THEIR way, how they run their defense.

so its just a 46 with an extra saftey instead of a linebacker.

fine by me.

That's all the 46 is, they play the corners and a safety in the LB area. It only has 3 real LB's and 4 Linemen like our D, but the 46 jams receivers at the line to screw up the offenses timing, and over loads the LOS sending someone free to the QB. Buddy Ryan was a master at this defense.

Our Cobra puts RAK and AH along side each other, and gives our safety and LB's the option to blitz. If our corners would bump receivers, we would have more sacks and turnovers I believe. It would destroy the offenses timing, giving us another second or two for a sack, or causing young QB's to force balls. We need to play this package much more, because our typical 4-3 defense is terrible.

Because of our lack of depth at linebacker and the fact that Orakpo is MUCH better at pass rushing and run stopping than pass coverage, I think that the nickel formation as a whole is our strength.

Cobra speaks for itself. Landry, Doughty, and Horton are very good safeties. Doughty almost looks like a linebacker at times. Moore is a very good 4th safety to rotate in too.

On the other side of it, the normal nickel package is also good. Fred Smoot might be the best nickel corner in the league. We may not have the shut-down corners some other teams have, but our depth is really undeniable.

The obvious weakness here though is our vulnerability to downhill running. Less size means we're more easily muscled.

Because of this I would favor using Cobra and Nickel packages as often as possible, but switching to Cobra as our base package seems a bit much.

Archived