Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tired of the Dan Snyder "Willing to Spend Money" Excuse

Reaganaut

Spare me.

I listened to several talk show hosts today trying to put the shine on the turd say that "At least Dan Snyder is willing to spend money on players to make the team better."

I always ask myself the question after that:

As opposed to who?

Don't all the NFL teams in big markets spend every single penny they can under the salary cap to get players? How are the Redskins spending MORE than any other team on players then?

I see the point if you are talking coaches, but who else in the league is putting out five million a season for Steve Spurrier or Joe Gibbs for that matter? I'm not sure these coaches were in high demand around the league to warrant that type of money in the first place.

If Snyder were shrewd enough to waltz into Baltimore and walk off with their entire managerial staff for BIG money then I would get this point.

Dan Snyder may spend money, but almost everyone agrees that he overpays players. That is what being "willing to spend money" means in the salary cap environment.

Now, if we get into an uncapped year, let's see how much money he is willing to really spend. Is he willing to pony up $200 million on new and dumped contracts?

The ONLY way he can be given praise for "putting his money where his mouth is" will be in an uncapped year. Until then, I'm tired of hearing about how he spends money. He spends it on the wrong players, that is obviously not something to be proud of.

Let's see what happens in an uncapped year. Let's see him blow out all bloated contracts possibly including Clinton Portis and other shockers. Get every good player about to expire like Landry and Rogers signed. Get Fletcher resigned for four years. Then we'll talk about how great Snyder is at "spending money" to get the team to win.

theyre lucky, because (sadly, and just like al davis) he will be passing away very soon, so theres at least hope for a new owner to come in and right that ship. and the bills are a tiny market team on top of that.

Actually, that could be a deathnail to NFL football in this area. His kids do not want any part of it when he's gone. I'm no Bills fan, but I hope to God that when Wilson passes, they stay here.

I've always disliked Snyder, but the "at least he spends money" thing always had me holding out hope. That hope is fading fast because clearly he's only interested in spending money HIS way, which clearly doesn't work.

The only hope, if he doesn't change how he does things, is that he just lucks out and spends tons of money on the right guy, and he wins in spite of himself.

No clue

I have just read in many places that our scouting budget is "tight" and has been cut before

Which makes 0 sense to me.

If anything, we should be the US military in terms of spending on scouting. Outspend the rest of the NFL combined

It makes sense Hokiefan if you are simply going to hire free agents every year.

I've always disliked Snyder, but the "at least he spends money" thing always had me holding out hope. That hope is fading fast because clearly he's only interested in spending money HIS way, which clearly doesn't work.

The only hope, if he doesn't change how he does things, is that he just lucks out and spends tons of money on the right guy, and he wins in spite of himself.

The spending money part isn't the problem. Changing coaches constantly is the problem. Now, if Haynesworth signed with the Giants, as he almost did, then every fan would have another thing too whine about. See, its damne if you do, damned if you don't. The Skins didn't sign a FA in 2008. And of course, the fans whined about that. Unbelievable!!!!!

The spending money part isn't the problem. Changing coaches constantly is the problem. Now, if Haynesworth signed with the Giants, as he almost did, then every fan would have another thing too whine about. See, its damne if you do, damned if you don't. The Skins didn't sign a FA in 2008. And of course, the fans whined about that. Unbelievable!!!!!

Spending money isn't the problem, it's the way the money is spent. Why get Deion Sanders, who's over the hill, when you have Brian Mitchell? Why get Jeff George, who sucks? Why spend millions on one player to upgrade the 4th ranked defense when your OL is the reason you broke down? You can throw 40 million dollars on a turd, it's still a turd.

Archived