Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive scheme please explain

SiCkSoULjA

Please explain the logic of our defensive scheme to me. I have a number of questions that needs explaining

1. Now I am no Defensive Coornator and I may sound stupid but I am having a serious problem understanding why the **** we play our safeties 25 yards off the ball? At one point yesterday I saw Horton and Landry play way way back with Reed D playing in the box. When playing football it seems to me to be a numbers game especially when you don't have a mobile QB. The game is 11-11 now if the qb isn't mobile then you are defending 11-10 so you have a man advantage. Why do we totally eliminate our advantage by putting one of our best defensive players in Landry and play him 25 yards off the ball totally taking him out of the play now its 10-10 we don't have the corners, pass rush or the linebackers to beat any team 1 on 1 without putting on any pressure. We did that **** with Sean Taylor his last year but he was so much of a baller with his speed and instincts that he some how mad plays. At least Greg Williams switched it up he blitz corners, and different linebackers to keep teams a little off balance. Blatche doesn't do anything different.

What that the hell kind of base defense was we playing yesterday. It was some kind of MAN ZONE. We played a 4-3 with the safeties playing 25 yards off the ball and the corners 8 to 10 yards of the ball. No matter the down or distance. Now I can see playing the safeties back if your pressing your corners but we are not pressing any wide receivers giving them free rides off the ball, not blitzing the QB so he doesn't have to worry, and then taking 2 of your best defensive players Landry and Horton completely out of the play by playing them 25 yards off the ball. Every week it’s the same thing 3rd and short corners 10 yards off the ball, in the 4th Q Rogers played 10 yards off Johnson. Result easy pitch and catch.

Why the in blue hell is the Bronko Nagurski Trophy award winning DEFENSIVE ****ING END Brain Orakpo playing linebacker? I can almost understand you drafting him if you already have two good defensive ends but we don’t have any, we have an average one in Carter and Daniels should be a back up. For the third week straight Orakpo is getting exploited big time in coverage, he has to cover TE's and linebackers he’s not of that mode he’s very stiff out in space, and his instincts seems to be lacking. When he’s at DE on plays he usually adds pressure but we don't get to see it. Hell I can almost understand you just blitzing him every down but hey we don't.

You look at our defensive statistics we are not doing to bad as far as scoring defense goes so everyone points to our offense not scoring points as faults to not winning games. But don’t expect our pathetic offense to score much when you’re losing the time of possession battle 35-20 they had the ball for a whole extra quarter WE ARE NOT THE COLTS.

I would get to the play calling running the same damn play on 4th down or sending a possession wide receiver Malcolm Kelly on bomb plays he has zero separation it was double coverage but moss runs pass that easily. BUT I HAVE TO END THE RANT. Team drives me so crazy I typed this long message on an IPHONE thats almost as fustrating as the Redskins nevermind we stink.

Slow rookie qb coming into the game with, 1 td and 5 picks and we make him look like Steve Young.

Halfback gets 100 yards in the middle of the 3rd quarter before his injury.

All of this with perhaps the worst offensive line in football.

Part of this is scheme, but the other part is a bunch of guys (not named London Fletcher) phoning it in.

How do you let that team push you around?

Inexcusable.

IDK, maybe Landry, HOrton, Rogers and Hall all suck and Blache knows something we don't. I thought they were really good, what do I know?

Maybe they were all on the take by gamblers yesterday too and Blache knew that and we didn't. Maybe Landry sat on a pencil in a meeting and impaled himself during a meeting and he can't run. Maybe, maybe, maybe we don't know a lot of crap.

Or maybe its really stupid to play safeties thirty yards off the line of scrimmage and db's ten yards off the receivers on third and 4.

Why the in blue hell is the Bronko Nagurski Trophy award winning DEFENSIVE ****ING END Brain Orakpo playing linebacker? I can almost understand you drafting him if you already have two good defensive ends but we don’t have any, we have an average one in Carter and Daniels should be a back up. For the third week straight Orakpo is getting exploited big time in coverage, he has to cover TE's and linebackers he’s not of that mode he’s very stiff out in space, and his instincts seems to be lacking. When he’s at DE on plays he usually adds pressure but we don't get to see it. Hell I can almost understand you just blitzing him every down but hey we don't.

The experiment has failed, Coach Blache and whomever, get over it.

Orakpo is not a good Sam LB and he just does not make plays as a cover man. Put someone in there that has played the position and go with him. Move Orakpo to his natural position, DEFENSIVE END!!

The defensive scheming is questionable this entire season. It looks as if we are playing to lose by giving the opponent too much space in coverages. Maybe we need to stay in a nickel or dime defense instead of what we are doing now. We do not give our prospects enough time to learn this game.

Please explain the logic of our defensive scheme to me. I have a number of questions that needs explaining

1. Now I am no Defensive Coornator and I may sound stupid but I am having a serious problem understanding why the **** we play our safeties 25 yards off the ball?

We don't.

Horton our SS is normally in the box.

We play our FS 25 yards off because we're a primarily a Cover 1/3 defense.

Just like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets etc.

We did that **** with Sean Taylor his last year but he was so much of a baller with his speed and instincts that he some how mad plays.

^^The scheme when operated with a FS that 'gets it' allows them to make plays in the passing game, i.e. Interceptions.

I agree that the defense was bad yesterday.

But, the scheme shouldn't come as a surprise.

We did what Blache has allways done:

A break down of the defense from an earlier thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=297462

Archived