Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2003 Player Preview: Ifeanyi Ohalete, S

I dont think I've seen this posted already, if it has been sorry.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11761

2003 Player Preview: Ifeanyi Ohalete, S

07/11/2003

By Jason Gould

Editor, Redskins.com

Redskins safety Ifeanyi Ohalete is entering his third season in Washington. Ohalete was signed as an undrafted free agent from USC in 2001 and made an immediate impression on coaches with his tenacity and willingness to learn.

Ohalete and the Redskins will be in action at training camp, which is set to begin on July 28 at Redskin Park in Ashburn, Virginia. Be sure to get your training camp invitation here.

Ifeanyi Ohalete

Number: 26

Height: 6-2

Weight: 222

Experience: 3rd season

College: USC

ohaletei03.jpg

Career Highlight: Ohalete made one of the most memorable plays of Washington's 2002 season. On Week 7 against the Saints, the Redskins trailed 26-14 late in the half after being down 20-0 earlier in the game. With the Saints driving inside Redskins territory, Ohalete intercepted an Aaron Brooks pass intended for Jerome Pathon and returned in 78 yards for a touchdown. Ohalete's effort cut New Orleans' lead to 26-21. Washington would draw no closer, however, falling 43-27.

ohaleteaction_title.jpg

Did You Know?: Ohalete finished tied for second on the team with three interceptions. In addition to his interception of Brooks, Ohalete also picked off Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on Week 8 and Giants quarterback Kerry Collins on Week 11. Ohalete also recorded 78 tackles last season.

Expectations: After starting 10 games at strong safety last season, Ohalete is expected to compete for playing time this season. Matt Bowen, David Terrell and Andre Lott, among others, are also in the mix at safety.

Quote: “I knew that if a chance came up for me to start, I had to capitalize on the opportunity. Things are progressing for me in my career and hopefully they'll keep going.”

-Ifeanyi Ohalete

unless Andre Lott or David Terrell shows some skills we have not seen or heard about previously, I would imagine that Ohalete and Bowen are going to be the starters at S.

the one element that could change the equation is if the Skins happen upon a veteran safety released early in camp who they think would be an immediate upgrade for 2003.

one has to think that entering next offseason the team is going to need to look seriously this time at addressing the DE and S positions in FA and the draft.

I know we have talked about these spots ad nauseum before going back to 2001, but we are basically sliding by with patches and fixes instead of really solidifying the spots with top level performers.

Archived