Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HB Blades

TD_washingtonredskins

Yes Henson had a good game against the Jaguars, but I don't think that is enough of a sample size to say he is a better player or has better potential than Blades does. I think it's a matter of us liking his size more because he is 3 or four inches taller than Blades.

Blades has more NFL experience and has two seasons of development under his belt. Not only that, he was a better player in college than Henson was without as much talent surrounding him on the defense. I like Henson and I think he was a great pick with a lot of potential, but I don't really see any criteria for claiming he is a better player than Blades at this point. Plus, I don't think he's as smart as Blades is or has the same football acuity.

Another thing to think about with Blades is the help he get's on our defense. When we go Cover 3 and Cover 1, Blades will get lots of help from Horton if he has trouble covering the middle of the field. Especially in run support, and I feel fairly confident in every single one of our starting DBs ability to make a tackle in space and hold up against blocks from backs and receivers.

The single most important aspect of Blades being able to do the MLB job is the leadership part. And also his ability to make the proper adjustments and line everybody up correctly. he should be fine doing all of that.

And height isn't everything for a MLB. Patrick Willis and Lofa Tatupu are only about 6'0" but everyone knows they are outstanding players. Vilma is about 6'0" too, same with Demeco Ryans. Some of those guys are outstanding in coverage, where a lack of height is supposed to be a disadvantage. The fact of the matter is that very few guys have Brian Urlacher's prototype size, but there are still a lot of great middle linebackers.

Fletch ran a 4.3???? That's nuts. That's faster than most CBs. I find it really hard to believe.

If so, he should have been a RB.

Found it(Great article BTW): http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_4_30/ai_66760542/

Fletcher ran an astounding 4.38 in the 40-yard dash. Astounding, that is, for a linebacker who weighed more than 230 pounds. "Of course, the fact that he's 5'9" probably scared off a lot of people," Armey says.

Here's a good/related thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=6409336#post6409336

In Blache's scheme I think he would be. He likes the DTs to occupy space up the middle so LBs can make the plays and shut down the run. Since Blache has been here, as defensive line coach and defensive coordinator, every MLB has had great numbers: Antonio Pierce, Lamar Marshall, London Fletcher. I think Blades could do the same numberwise with tackles.

At the same time, Blache has talked about retiring and this year might be his last "go-round." If we bring in a new system, I think all bets are off.

Therefore, if we were looking to upgrade our line-backing corps, we'd be much better off getting a super athletic OLB like Sean Weatherspoon out of Missouri. If you want to talk about speed in a linebacker, that guy is fast. He flies to the ball quicker than anyone we've had since Taylor or Lavar. He's also really strong and has got great hands for shedding blocks and working his way towards the ball. He is a stud, easily the best linebacker in next year's class.

Another great option for adding talent to our linebacker corps would be Sergio Kindle from Texas. He's kind of Orakpo's protege only he is rangier and far more experienced at standing up. He's not as good a pass-rusher as Orakpo was, but that still leaves room for him to be excellent and he is. He'd probably be stuck on the strong side whereas Weatherspoon is a classic WLB, but he'd be yet another great pass rusher for offenses to have to deal with and he's got good range to play all of the way to the sideline.

A McIntosh -- Blades -- Kindle/Weatherspoon lineup with Orakpo playing on the line would easily beat a McIntosh -- Spikes -- Blades (plus the first set would keep Orakpo at end full time.)

I don't think Blades' size is what potentially holds him back. I worry more about his speed. London has much better speed than Blades, and is also a bigger hitter. I can't remember a single hit by blades other than the one from this preseason, and Glenn had already cut that guys' legs out from under him. I remember Fletcher lighting up Lavar Arrington on special teams when we played the rams back in the day. He almost cut Lavar in half, and lavar is obviously a big guy. Here's London knocking back Megatron last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfluidEmOsc

I do love Blades' instincts though. I really think the kid is a classic Ravens type player - late round pickup, tough, instinctive, always in the right place at the right time. Maybe he would do great. I do agree very much actually, that we would be better off upgrading at OLB, since we really have noone at that spot now.

Sergio Kindle really reminds me of Karlos Dansby for some reason. Didn't Dansby play some end at Auburn? They have similar dimensions, and mid 4.5 speed, and strike with authority. I'm not sure that Kindle has loose enough hips to be very good in man coverage though.

Weatherspoon really is a speed demon. If we picked him up, I almost think we'd be better off playing him at Will and moving McIntosh to SAM.

The problem with Kindle and Weatherspoon, is that I could see each coming off the board between 12 and 22. The value in MLB in this draft will be later I think, as Spikes could fall to the 2nd and Micah Johnson 2nd or even 3rd.

I guess I'd say that I don't think Blades will ever be a player of London's caliber, a perennial should have been a pro-bowler. I do think Blades could step in and aquit himself well at MLB however, a and is a solid, good but not great player.

His strengths are a lot like Fletcher's IMO. He diagnoses and plays the run exceptionally well and he flies to the ball in the box. He's a big hitter too. At this point in their careers, I'd probably give the edge to him over Fletcher in that respect. Have we already forgotten what he did two weeks ago in the Patriots game?

My memory might be failing me but i don't recall Blades being big hitter.

I think Blades is more of a wrap and drag tackler, Fletcher imo hits with far more pop then Blades.

Yes Henson had a good game against the Jaguars, but I don't think that is enough of a sample size to say he is a better player or has better potential than Blades does. I think it's a matter of us liking his size more because he is 3 or four inches taller than Blades.

I'm not saying that Henson or Young is a better player then Blades.

I'm saying 2 things:

1) I like the way Henson runs, he seems more fluid and atheletic then Blades and i think Henson hits with more pop

2) If were breaking down the key elements Fletcher's game i think speed is a key element and although Blades and Henson have the same timed speed Henson seems faster on the field then Blades; Young actually has more speed then either Blades or Henson and in that repect is closer to Fletcher's mold physically then Blades or Henson

Blades has more NFL experience and has two seasons of development under his belt.

Right now i think Blades major advantage over Henson and Young is his game experience and his knowledge from having Fletch as a mentor.

But, hopefully we'll have at least 2 more seasons for the trio to learn from Fletcher and battle to become his successor.

HB has the heart, but not all of the physical tools needed to be a grea MLB.

We will either groom Hensen or Young or draft one.

I disagree. Of the linebackers on our roster, Blades has the most potential to be our long term solution at MLB. Speed and burst can be trained and improved, but instincts and natural bodybuilds cannot. Plus, Henson is barely hitting 230 lbs at this point. That's Lemar Marshall size. If he's going to play any position, it'll be WLB. You need a thumper in the middle to stop the run and he can do that. To be honest, it's Blades in coverage I'd be concerend about.

I honestly believe he'll play on this team for a good while as a contributor, but that we'll end up drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to be our MLB of the future.

Amazing a guy like London Fletcher with HOF numbers as a player gets such a question asked.

Hensen, Blades? Please.

The whole league has slept on fletcher for years. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Given a choice between every starting MLB in the league, in their primes, I'd only choose Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, and maybe Urlacher over Fletcher.

Archived