Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It Might Get Loud (documentary)

Spaceman Spiff

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/

I checked this film out today and was wondering if anyone else had since there are a lot of music fans and guitar players on here.

IMO, it was a bit disappointing. The trailer makes it out to a roundtable conversation between Jack White, Jimmy Page and The Edge, but barely any of it was shown. Instead, you got the backgrounds on all of them, how they came to be and their influences...which was interesting to see. I think it was a bit disjointed in how it was presented, it seemed to skip around a lot.

That said, there were a lot of interesting pieces, notably how much The Edge relies on a bag of tricks to make his sounds. The solo for Where The Streets Have No Name is really simple, yet he adds and fills in a lot with pedals and effects to make a bigger sound. Jack White relies on almost nothing, preferring to not bring any technology to the table when he plays.

One of the other highlights was seeing Page play Whole Lotta Love and seeing White and Edge's face light up.

I think I was most disappointed due to what I was expecting versus what I actually got but if you're into guitars and rock music you should probably go check it out. Especially if you're a fan of any one of the three.

I think less of talking heads is a plus for a movie like that. From the trailer, it looks like there is some interaction among the three. The trailer intrigued me, and I'd like to go see the thing now. On balance, Spiff, was it worth your time?

Thanks for posting it.

I think less of talking heads is a plus for a movie like that. From the trailer, it looks like there is some interaction among the three. The trailer intrigued me, and I'd like to go see the thing now. On balance, Spiff, was it worth your time?

Thanks for posting it.

There's some interaction, but there isn't a lot. When the film starts it says "On January 23rd, 2008, three guitar legends came together to talk about their music" or something along those lines. You think you're getting ready to see a big roundtable conversation between the three as you see them show up to the sound stage.

That was my main gripe with the film, not a lot of interaction between the 3. They didn't show as much of their conversation together as I would have liked to have seen. Other than that, it was good. You get to see The Edge walking around his high school where U2 was formed, you get to see him practicing. You get to see Page going back to the house where IV was recorded. There are a lot of introspective moments. They talk about their influences. White talks about how he got his start, Edge talks about Ireland in the 80's and the social struggles that were going on there.

There's some technical talk that guitar players will probably like that went a little bit over my head.

I saw it in Fairfax and the theatre that was playing it had it for 7 bucks. Pretty good way to spend an hour and a half, I recommend it.

Archived