Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Insider; One's Mans Take on Redskin's Final Cuts

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/one-mans-take-on-redskins-cuts.html

One Man's Take on Redskins' Cuts

Cut-down day always reminds me that people see things differently and, when the Redskins announced the season-opening 53-man group, there were many more roster surprises than I envisioned.

I thought they would carry nine offensive linemen; they carried 10. Guard/tackle Jeremy Bridges was not among the group, but D'Anthony Batiste and Edwin Williams were. And although I did not expect running back Marcus Mason to make it, the former Georgetown Prep standout is on the team.

And the cornerback situation provided another interesting twist. With so many unexpected moves, I'm in the mood for a quick cut-down day edition of, "Here's what I think. ... " so away we go.

Here's what happened: Mason is in.

Here's what I think: Coaches wanted a change-of-pace back, which Mason is not. He's a good inside runner who produced in other preseason auditions with the Redskins, and Mason, 25, brings much-needed youth to the position. Mason failed to make the team out of the preseason in 2008, in large part, because of his deficiencies in pass protection. A scout who watched the team recently told me Mason still struggles with blitz pick-ups, and I watched him whiff on two blitzes against New England.

But Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, said Mason's overall game is much improved.

[/Quote]

Among media members, speedy back Anthony Alridge was a chic pick to secure a spot. Several people familiar with the team's internal roster discussions Friday told me Alridge was eliminated because he didn't have much of a body of work - and what he did have wasn't very good.

He fumbled repeatedly early in camp and missed considerable time because of a foot injury. Alridge showed a little something with a 5.4-yard average on nine rushes against the New England Patriots. But with roster spots on the line Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Alridge fumbled on the Redskins' opening kickoff (he cradled the ball in the wrong arm) and Jacksonville recovered and returned the ball for a touchdown. No matter how fast Alridge is, he put the ball on the ground way too often.

[/Quote]

This quote right here was very disturbing of Aldridge.

I think Alridge goes on the PS to sort his ball carrying out and tries again next year, by which time Mason will have proven to be the primary backup RB. Alridge can then make the team as a change of pace/returner, or not depending on how he does.

I saw some good blitz protection out of Mason this preseason too. I remember on the JC TD run thinking that block made it possible to keep Mason. Will be interesting to see if he still looks good, in real games, when he gets a play or two.

Archived