Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamdan Or Banks?

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Anyway, my point is that winning awards in college isn't neccessarily a harbinger of success in the pros.

True. Remember Andre Ware?

:laugh:

Originally posted by mattyk72

Banks is more of a prototypical Spurrier QB. Both guys are raw though, so it's anyone's guess as to who will make the roster.

Actually - and I can't remember the article exactly - it's said that Spurrier is more fond of Hamden. Banks, apparently, is a scrambling quarterback. That would be more refreshing to see in a Banks other than the last Banks we had running around on the field. :puke:

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Say what? Throughout his tenure at Florida, Spurrier never had a scrambling QB who couldn't throw worth a damn. In fact, its been quite the opposite.

Hamdan follows the mold of Waffle, Matthews, Grossman, etc. in that he can pass but not run.

My bad I meant Hamdan is more of Spurrier's style, a drop back passer as opposed to Banks who is more of a scrambler.

I think Hamden was drafted to be the next "Jeff Rutledge"/a career holder & 3rd string QB. The practice squad scenario is the best bet.

Skeletor - I agree waffle was not that bad last year, he became the scape goat/wipping boy for the public.

Banks should make the team if he can demonstrate that he is the next Slash. Work at multiple positions for now and move into #3 when he understands the OBC offense - from many perspectives.

Banks has intriguing skills that makes one want to keep him as a project. He may have to earn his keep first as an all around athlete - which is why he was signed in the first place.

His trek would do well to follow the path of one J. Theisman ... Run some kicks back ... learn the pro game ... and see what happens.

Hamden has M. Rypien / J. Schroeder as his model. Big arm ... learn the offense ... take advantage of your opportunities. Sit on the practice squad if that's what it takes.

But ...

If we have Hamden or Banks as #3 we may be doomed because even Rob Johnson will struggle trying to grasp the offense as the #2 with limited reps. The #3, except for PR last year, gets jack s...t as far as reps.

After the interview article of today with PR, the length of time it takes to train the QB in this offense, especially as the #3/4 is going to be extremely long.

But dont expect a holder role for either of them because they would have to be the #2 to do that.

Perhaps, though Hamdan was a holder for 4 years at Indiana. And we can have the same kicker & holder combo for years. I'd be surprised if Rob Johnson hung on for the long term.

I suspect the whole reason they spent the 7th round pick on him when everyone knew he'd be around in the free agency, was establish him as the 3rd string QB.

Hamdan hands down. He will win it because SS used a pick, has a strong arm, and caugh cocahes eyes to be drafted in the first place.

I agree with the thread above. I can't imagine buying a jersey or anything with the word "Banks" on it. Too many nightmares frmthe past.

Archived