Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN:Crowell tears biceps in preseason game

champ2424us

Ouch. That sounds incredibly painful. Is there no way to repair that that will allow him to come back sooner than next year?

Distal biceps tear requires anchors of the biceps brachii tendon into the radius. Insertion of the anchors into the bone is just like breaking a bone -- it takes time for the body to strengthen the bone around it.

Physical therapy timetable is approximate what a broken bone would be -- 4-6 months, but even through that the muscles need to be strengthened even more because of probable atrophy. Generally, the process will probably take up to 8-10 months if not a bit more to get them back to NFL speed I would guess.

Very similar to an ACL timetable. ACL is similar because they anchor a harvested tendon (patellar or hamstring) or cadaver ACL back into the femur and tibia. On the other hand, it's generally easier to get back to operating 95-100% than ACL so that's a plus... but still a long while.

Distal biceps tear requires anchors of the biceps brachii tendon into the radius. Insertion of the anchors into the bone is just like breaking a bone -- it takes time for the body to strengthen the bone around it.

Physical therapy timetable is approximate what a broken bone would be -- 4-6 months, but even through that the muscles need to be strengthened even more because of probable atrophy. Generally, the process will probably take up to 8-10 months if not a bit more to get them back to NFL speed I would guess.

Very similar to an ACL timetable. ACL is similar because they anchor a harvested tendon (patellar or hamstring) or cadaver ACL back into the femur and tibia. On the other hand, it's generally easier to get back to operating 95-100% than ACL so that's a plus... but still a long while.

Since you seem to have a pinch of medical background prehaps you can answer my question on this injury since the link provides no information.

When the bicep is "torn" what is the TRUE situation? Is it a tear of the bicipital aponeurosis from the Fascia protecting the brachial artery or simply a tear of the biceps ligament from the radial tuberocity?

I noticed you said DISTAL in the post too.....why do you assume this and not the proximal? :geek:

Since you seem to have a pinch of medical background prehaps you can answer my question on this injury since the link provides no information.

When the bicep is "torn" what is the TRUE situation? Is it a tear of the bicipital aponeurosis from the Fascia protecting the brachial artery or simply a tear of the biceps ligament from the radial tuberocity?

I noticed you said DISTAL in the post too.....why do you assume this and not the proximal? :geek:

Usually what tears is the biceps tendon from the radial tuberosity.

It's true that it could be a muscle belly injury although those tend to be pretty rare. That generally only happens when you strain a muscle then overwork it. At high level you're more worried about overuse injuries to the joints, ligaments, and tendons because of the frequency high volume coupled with little rest.

Proximal injury can either be the long head or the short head of the biceps. Long head connects up into the superior labrum (more common with overhead throwing sports), so they would've probably mentioned it as some sort of shoulder injury. Short head connects to the coracoid process of the scapula, but usually that one is very rarely injury because the other two points are much more vulnerable.

In short with tackling and the eccentric pressure that grabbing a player puts on the forearm for the biceps it's MUCH more likely to be a distal tendon rupture.

Could be anything though honestly... the reports coming out from teams are kinda kept under wraps, and the media isn't exactly accurate in their medical statements either, heh.

Randy Thomas tour his biceps on the 2nd game of the season (Monday Night vs. the Eagles) in 2007. We kept him off of injured reserve in hopes that he could come back later in the year and help us out.

He played one more game and had an injury in the game. After that we put him on the DL.

Usually what tears is the biceps tendon from the radial tuberosity.

It's true that it could be a muscle belly injury although those tend to be pretty rare. That generally only happens when you strain a muscle then overwork it. At high level you're more worried about overuse injuries to the joints, ligaments, and tendons because of the frequency high volume coupled with little rest.

Proximal injury can either be the long head or the short head of the biceps. Long head connects up into the superior labrum (more common with overhead throwing sports), so they would've probably mentioned it as some sort of shoulder injury. Short head connects to the coracoid process of the scapula, but usually that one is very rarely injury because the other two points are much more vulnerable.

In short with tackling and the eccentric pressure that grabbing a player puts on the forearm for the biceps it's MUCH more likely to be a distal tendon rupture.

Could be anything though honestly... the reports coming out from teams are kinda kept under wraps, and the media isn't exactly accurate in their medical statements either, heh.

I see......

I'd like to see a diagram of sorts illustrating what makes the distal portion of the bicep more vulnerable. based off common searches online this pic seems adequate.....

*link may not work but I'll try*

Tuberositasradii.png

I wonder which area of this insertion is the most vulnerable. Hmmm

Randy Thomas tour his biceps on the 2nd game of the season (Monday Night vs. the Eagles) in 2007. We kept him off of injured reserve in hopes that he could come back later in the year and help us out.

He played one more game and had an injury in the game. After that we put him on the DL.

I thought he tore his tricpes?

Archived