Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Napa Valley - Any suggestions?

Tour of Duty

Food - CIA at Greystone was great...a bit expensive if you get carried away but well worth it.

Parks? - If you want to see redwoods not too far away (Sonoma) you can hit Armstrong Redwoods Reserve. Some nice easy trails, some harder if you want.

Towns- Healdsburg is a great little town in Napa Valley. Also, try to visit Sonoma if you have time...really only 20 mins. away. Nice just to walk around Sonoma Plaza and do a little shopping.

The Wine Train also sounds fun...I didn't have a chance to go on it but have heard good things about it.

As far as wineries go we didn't take many wine tours but we did stop at a ton of them just for tastings. Sterling Vineyards was nice with the gondola ride up to the winery and a self-directed tour. Also, if you like champagne there are a couple of good places - Mumm Napa Valley and Gloria Ferrer are two that stand out.

Ooooh, I looove Napa area!! I lived there for a couple years during college and there are an insane amount of amazing restaurants and wineries. I mainly went out in St. Helena because that was closest to where I lived, so most of my recommendations are for St. Helena, a really cute, boutique-filled little town about 20 min. north of Napa.

I highly recommend Rutherford Grill (in Yountville I think) for a nice dinner, their steak and grilled artichokes are amazing. The Mustard's recommendation I saw already in this thread is a good rec. too.

For a nice little burger joint, Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena. OMG the burgers are so good, my friends and I ate there all the time.

If you want a great sandwich deli, in St. Helena I recommend Guigni's (Guigni W F & Son Grocery Co.).

You have to HAVE breakfast/brunch at Gillwood's Cafe in St. Helena! This is my biggest recommendation, seriously. We ate there for many Sunday brunches and it never disappointed. The wait can be a bit long because it's so popular, especially among Napa CC and PUC students, but you just show up, put your name in then stroll up the main street and check out all the cute little boutiques in town. They are really cute, I'm sure your wife or girlfriend will like them as much as I always did :D

If you have specific questions about other restaurants or wineries, feel free to PM me or post in this thread and I'll get back to you. I've been to a lot of places around there...evidently my friends and I spent more time eating out in that area than actually studying for our classes :doh:

Food - CIA at Greystone was great...a bit expensive if you get carried away but well worth it.

Parks? - If you want to see redwoods not too far away (Sonoma) you can hit Armstrong Redwoods Reserve. Some nice easy trails, some harder if you want.

Towns- Healdsburg is a great little town in Napa Valley. Also, try to visit Sonoma if you have time...really only 20 mins. away. Nice just to walk around Sonoma Plaza and do a little shopping.

The Wine Train also sounds fun...I didn't have a chance to go on it but have heard good things about it.

As far as wineries go we didn't take many wine tours but we did stop at a ton of them just for tastings. Sterling Vineyards was nice with the gondola ride up to the winery and a self-directed tour. Also, if you like champagne there are a couple of good places - Mumm Napa Valley and Gloria Ferrer are two that stand out.

sweet, sounds good. I heard the the Wine Train is supposed to be pretty good too. I'll have to check it out.

If you are going with a group, a limo is the way to do wine tasting. Got a really good deal last time I was there from craigslist. Also pick wineries that let you uncork on the premises. With a group it is cheaper to buy a few bottles at each location instead of paying for tasting for everyone in the group.

It is difficult to have a bad time in Napa. Rent bikes and just get lost in and around Yountville. Take the Wine Train. Golf. Go on a hot air balloon ride.

and if you want to really blow a bundle, probably the best restaurant in the USA is there, but it will require taking out a second mortgage. :laugh: It's called French Laundry.

I'm planning a trip to Napa Valley around Thanksgiving time and was curious if anyone here has been. Any suggestions on which wine tours to take? Attractions to see? Etc...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Yes have been many times and LOOOOOVE it there.. Here are my suggestions

For a Cheap Lunch - Oakville Deli

For a reasonable dinner - Rutherford Grill, Mustards

For a Moderate Dinner Tra Vigne (food is unreal good)

For $$$$ - Martini house

DONT GO TO FRENCH LAUNDRY EVEN IF YOU HAVE HUNDREDS TO SPEND ON DINNER

Where to Stay -

Bed and Breakfast - 1801 First Inn, Candlelight Inn

Resort - Fairmont Inn Sonoma

Wine Tours -

Must DO - Sterling, Joseph Phelps and Deriouche just for scenery...

Wine - Peju, Silver Oak, Cakebread, Stags Leap, Chandon, Joseph Phelps

Wine Tours - Beau Wine tours.

Go to Sonoma and visit, Chateua St Jean, St Francis

RELAX AND HAVE A BLAST

It is difficult to have a bad time in Napa. Rent bikes and just get lost in and around Yountville. Take the Wine Train. Golf. Go on a hot air balloon ride.

and if you want to really blow a bundle, probably the best restaurant in the USA is there, but it will require taking out a second mortgage. :laugh: It's called French Laundry.

French Laundry? I didnt like the food... too much money and portions are tiny.. had to to out for burgers after a $300 dinner

Archived