Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone buy Private Health Insurance?

#98QBKiller

Does anyone here buy private health insurance? If so, do you have any advice or can you recommend a certain company to check? I was laid off from work last month and I'm looking into private plans. I've checked some quotes online but I'm having a hard time deciphering what's what.

I'm just looking for me, I'm not married and don't have any kids. Any advice is appreciated, but please don't turn this into a debate about politics. Thanks!

Does anyone here buy private health insurance? If so, do you have any advice or can you recommend a certain company to check? I was laid off from work last month and I'm looking into private plans. I've checked some quotes online but I'm having a hard time deciphering what's what.

I'm just looking for me, I'm not married and don't have any kids. Any advice is appreciated, but please don't turn this into a debate about politics. Thanks!

If you don't go to the doctor that much, and have really no medical problems...

purchase a high deductible policy.

Blue Cross Blue Shield will be able to insure you for less than 90 bucks a month with a $1700 deductible plan.

So you'll pay like $1000 or $1100 bucks on the year for the insurance. If you get in a major accident, you'll pay the first $1700 out of pocket, but then the insurance will kick in.

Hospital stays can be in the thousands of dollars a day very easily, so you have to insure against that. This way, you won't end up owing the hospital like 25,000 if you get really ill.

Blue Cross Blue Shield will be able to insure you for less than 90 bucks a month with a $1700 deductible plan.

So you'll pay like $1000 or $1100 bucks on the year for the insurance. If you get in a major accident, you'll pay the first $1700 out of pocket, but then the insurance will kick in.

Hospital stays can be in the thousands of dollars a day very easily, so you have to insure against that. This way, you won't end up owing the hospital like 25,000 if you get really ill.

Good call, though I would start an HSA to couple with it, double your monthly investment into health care by putting another $90 per month into the account. If you are reasonably healthy, you'll most likely carry money over into next year and then you can actually pay for next year's premium out of the money you saved this year.

Thanks man, that explanation makes things a little clearer. I'll check BCBS out. I was looking at plans from Aetna that ranged from a $500 deductible to a $10k deductible, so I had to brush up on my terms/understanding of how it all works.

99, what state are you in? I'll look for you too.

I'm in North Carolina. I definitely appreciate the help SS.

99, I found one with my company that might work. I'll send a PM with a link.

I'm not sure what the premium costs, but it is an individual high deductable plan, so it will be lower than normal plans. Also it's one with a Health savings account.

I'll keep looking with other companies too.

I think BCBS has a good option too. (as far as I can tell the lowest deductable is 1200, which is pretty low for a high deductable plan)

http://www.nchealthplans.com/compare_hsa/

Archived