Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help from those who have been or live in Wilmington, NC

Commander_N_Chief

I am traveling to Wilmington, NC to go to Carolina Beach with a friend. I was wondering what a few of the good dance clubs, bars, and resturants are in the area. I did a google search and it came up with a gay bar and a couple of strip clubs. All help would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Wilmington, NC and went to college here. There are a ton of places to go out drinking to, I guess I need to know what kind of place you're looking for. There are dive bars, dance clubs, laid-back beach bars, restaurant/bars, etc.

If you're looking to go out drinking and get wild then you can check out downtown where you can get more bar-hopping in. There are a couple of cool roof-top places, one is called Level Five, it's (obviously) on the fifth floor of a building and has some nice views of the river and the rest of downtown, another is the Reel Cafe, it's a third-floor rooftop bar with a dance club level in the middle and a bar/restaurant on the first floor.

Then there are places like the Whiskey that have live music. There are dive places like Firebelly's, The Blue Post and the Copper Penny. Firebelly's has good food, and a good atmosphere but it gets packed. The Copper Penny is pretty chill but it's an Iggles bar.

All of the places I named are in downtown Wilmington. For a different experience you can go to Wrightsville Beach which has lots of cool beach bars with live music and everyone wearing flip-flops. If you go to these places during the day you'll see girls in bikinis hanging out drinking beers.

Carolina Beach has a boardwalk and some bars but I'd definitely recommend Wrightsville Beach, the beach is nicer and the bars are nicer, girls are hotter, etc.

Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. Feel free to PM me.

Mickalino and CJ live here too so they could prob help out as well.

Carolina beach is one of the tamest beaches in the area...there literally is nothing there but some restaurants, a weaaaaaaak boardwalk, a ton of mullets and some c-rate hotels. If youre JUST interested in a quiet trip focused on a clean beach, sun, and some beach food, its great. Otherwise there are much better beaches in NC (Wrightsville as mentioned above is a better bet for nightlife).

Carolina beach is one of the tamest beaches in the area...there literally is nothing there but some restaurants, a weaaaaaaak boardwalk, a ton of mullets and some c-rate hotels. If youre JUST interested in a quiet trip focused on a clean beach, sun, and some beach food, its great. Otherwise there are much better beaches in NC (Wrightsville as mentioned above is a better bet for nightlife).

Dude, you live in Philadelphia for crying out loud!!! You have NO room to talk. The people here love it BECAUSE it isn't a Myrtle Beach type atmosphere. And I would disagree that Wrightsville has a better nightlife than CB. IMO, WB is better during the day and CB is better at night. If you're looking for an amazing nightlife, take your Philthy ass to Myrtle Beach. :silly: I am curious as to when the last time you visited was.

I am traveling to Wilmington, NC to go to Carolina Beach with a friend. I was wondering what a few of the good dance clubs, bars, and resturants are in the area. I did a google search and it came up with a gay bar and a couple of strip clubs. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, here goes... I'm only going to include CB places because I just don't frequent downtown a lot. I enjoy the island too much. All of these are in CB...

Fat Pelican- Bar atmosphere; Largest beer selection on the island; Has a walk in cooler where you pick your beer; Really not too fancy but again...a bar

The Dive- Local spot; Nothing special; Does have a Plinko style game where you use quarters and try and land it into a shotglass. You win, you get a T-shirt or money. Just depends on the night.

Tangerine- Nice than Fat Pelican; Friday and Saturday are best of course; Live bands on the weekends outside; Dance floor on the inside; Also has a top deck to chill

Silver Dollar- Nothing special; Has karaoke a lot if you're into that

High Tide Lounge- North end of the island; Located at the Carolina Beach Pier; Bar setting

Blackhorn- On the boardwalk; Has bands or solo artists on Friday and Saturday; Laid back

Tiki Bar- This is my favorite place; Located on the beach(not OVER the ocean. I think the pier got knocked down during a hurricane. 99 would know. I've only been here 3+ years);However, it is on what is remaing of that pier; Live bands on Friday and Saturday; Located at the Ocean Grill; Here's a link

http://www.oceangrill.us/

Sonny's- Okay, you have to promise me that you will visit this place once either on Friday or Saturday even if it is only for an hour or two; Best way to describe it is "a makeshift club setting with all walks of life"LMAO; The reason I need you to go is you will see a blonde mullet man who thinks he can dance or just doesn't give a **** what people think of his dancing LOL; I want you to go there and watch him dance and report back to me what you think LOL; It's located on the boardwalk; Used to be a member-only bar; Has two pool tables and a small dance floor, which takes you back to my "makeshift club setting" phrase

Britt's Donuts- Do NOT leave your vacation without having a donut from Britt's!; Located on the boardwalk; All they have is glazed and they're amazing!; Here's a link

http://www.carolinabeach.net/britts1.html

Not sure if you're bringing children, but there is carnival/fair rides at CB. Nothing special, however

Only place that I do frequent a lot downtown is Front Street Brewery; You should go down there and try some of their beers; Here's a link

http://frontstreetbrewery.com/

All in all, there's plenty to do at CB. And there are PLENTY of dance clubs in downtown Wilmington. Just head down there and cruise the streets. You'll find one. If you're not impressed, go to the next.

Restaurants: WAY too many to list. This city is ****ing loaded with restaurants, big chains and locally owned.

Dude, you live in Philadelphia for crying out loud!!! You have NO room to talk. The people here love it BECAUSE it isn't a Myrtle Beach type atmosphere. And I would disagree that Wrightsville has a better nightlife than CB. IMO, WB is better during the day and CB is better at night. If you're looking for an amazing nightlife, take your Philthy ass to Myrtle Beach. :silly: I am curious as to when the last time you visited was.

First off I live in Raleigh and just went to CB. What does it matter if I did live in Philadelphia anyway.

2nd, as I said, it depends on what youre looking for. Quiet, nice beach, sure go to CB. The OP specifically asked for dance clubs/bars/restaurants, my feedback is to ensure he doesnt go to CB thinking its Myrtle, or even Wilmington, because it isnt. It is not a "dance club/bar" type beach, and if you say it is, well to each their own. Go to Venice or South Beach then tell me how wild CB is.

My reply is to direct him to stay in Wilmington if hes looking for any kind of "action" as CB is filled with biker chicks and mullets. You can have a different opinion.

Blackhorn- On the boardwalk; Has bands or solo artists on Friday and Saturday; Laid back

Yep and this place has a beer pong tournament on Wednesday nights, just FYI for the OP.

Tiki Bar- This is my favorite place; Located on the beach(not OVER the ocean. I think the pier got knocked down during a hurricane. 99 would know. I've only been here 3+ years);However, it is on what is remaing of that pier; Live bands on Friday and Saturday; Located at the Ocean Grill; Here's a link

Yeah I think the Pier was knocked down by a hurricane in the 80s.

Britt's Donuts- Do NOT leave your vacation without having a donut from Britt's!; Located on the boardwalk; All they have is glazed and they're amazing!; Here's a link

http://www.carolinabeach.net/britts1.html

Amen to this! This place kicks ass.

Only place that I do frequent a lot downtown is Front Street Brewery; You should go down there and try some of their beers; Here's a link

http://frontstreetbrewery.com/

Forgot about Front Street, they do have some great beers. I like their Oatmeal Stout and Brown Ale.

Based on what he told us in his first post, I think he'd like the bars "Ibiza" and "The Toolbox"

:laugh:

Yeah, Wilmington isn't a great clubbin' town. If that's your thing, you should go elsewhere. The beaches near Wilmington, especially Kure, are very nice if you like quiet, peaceful places that aren't overly touristy. Decent fishing there as well, but not usually this time of year.

Anyway...there are a few UNCW hangouts around town if you can find them...you could probably pop over to www.insidecarolina.com and go to the ZZL forum. There are a ton of Wilmingtonites over there, and they'll know.

Just go to Greenville, Nc....If you wanna bar hop and have a good time...Stay away from Atlantic Beach and wilmington and thats just my opinion...

Why the hell would anyone go to Greenville? Going out there is ghetto and sketchy and the school has the highest STD rate for the umpteenth year in a row.

What does it matter if I did live in Philadelphia anyway.

Because if you live in that city, you are immediately not allowed to make fun of other cities, let alone a beach community.

2nd, as I said, it depends on what youre looking for. Quiet, nice beach, sure go to CB. The OP specifically asked for dance clubs/bars/restaurants, my feedback is to ensure he doesnt go to CB thinking its Myrtle, or even Wilmington, because it isnt. It is not a "dance club/bar" type beach, and if you say it is, well to each their own. Go to Venice or South Beach then tell me how wild CB is.

I completely agree.

Archived