Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN - Unit Rankings - Outside Linebackers

B&G

Unit Rankings: Outside linebackers

Ranking the league's best outside linebackers:

Weak side

1. Derrick Brooks, Buccaneers. A five-time Pro Bowl player, Brooks has the combination of speed and athleticism to cover some slot receivers. He scored a career-high four touchdowns last year.

2. Joey Porter, Steelers. Porter is an explosive open-field tackler who shows great initial quickness and does a good job of avoiding blockers in the backfield.

3. Takeo Spikes, Bills. Spikes has the speed to cover backs, the athleticism to stay with tight ends and the power to deliver big hits after the catch.

4. Donnie Edwards, Chargers. After playing last year at middle linebacker, he is moving back to his natural position. Edwards has excellent instincts and the quickness to slip most blocks. He is a playmaker in coverage.

5. Keith Bulluck, Titans. He has the speed to make plays sideline-to-sideline and is capable of providing the big play in coverage or with a blitz.

6. Jason Gildon, Steelers. Entering his 10th year, Gildon takes excellent angles to the ball, has the power to shed blockers quickly and is relentless rushing the passer.

Strong side

1. Julian Peterson, 49ers. Peterson is strong enough to control most tight ends in the running game -- and he's versatile. Against the Cowboys last year, he lined up at linebacker, defensive end, strong safety and cornerback, becoming the first player since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to play four positions in one game.

2. LaVar Arrington, Redskins. Few have his physical gifts. He is much more effective when turned loose upfield than when he is asked to read and react against the run or drop in coverage.

3. Anthony Simmons, Seahawks. He has excellent recognition skills, the quickness to slip blocks and the range to make plays all over the field.

The War Room, a team of football scouts headed by Gary Horton, analyzes NFL and college players, coaches and teams exclusively for the Sporting News.

I'd like to see Lavar make the list next year or after on the weak side, since I believe he's at his best when not tied up with a TE and free to roam, search, and destroy.

I'm hopeful that's what is in store for him THIS year. Who knows, maybe Pierce cracks the lineup mid-season on the strong side. You heard it here.

2. LaVar Arrington, Redskins. Few have his physical gifts. He is much more effective when turned loose upfield than when he is asked to read and react against the run or drop in coverage.
That's not an accurate description. I would have said that's true about Ken Harvey, for example, or Lawrence Taylor. But Lavar is a read and react guy who does best when he follows his eyes and his instincts while in a scheme that funnels plays to him. Say what you will about Marty, but he at least realized how best to use Lavar, which caused Lavar to have his best season with us in 2001.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Gee, Julian Peterson is versatile. That doesn't mean he's a great linebacker.

Babe Ruth was a pitcher and a slugger, but that doesn't mean he was a great pitcher.

Babe Ruth was the best pitcher on the Red Sox from 1915 to 1919 and led the Sox team that won the World Series in 1918. He set the record for consecutive scoreless innings in a World Series (27) that stood from 1918 until 1961 when Whitey Ford broke his record. The Yankees had great pitchers so he became a full time outfielder.

Just because he wasnt as good a pitcher as he was a hitter doesnt mean he wasnt a great pitcher.

If Lavar can do what the Skins need him to do in many roles (like Ruth), the team will be better off for it.

Originally posted by yank

Babe Ruth was the best pitcher on the Red Sox from 1915 to 1919 and led the Sox team that won the World Series in 1918. He set the record for consecutive scoreless innings in a World Series (27) that stood from 1918 until 1961 when Whitey Ford broke his record. The Yankees had great pitchers so he became a full time outfielder.

Just because he wasnt as good a pitcher as he was a hitter doesnt mean he wasnt a great pitcher.

If Lavar can do what the Skins need him to do in many roles (like Ruth), the team will be better off for it.

:doh: Leave it to me to run into a Babe Ruth scholar right when I start feeling smart.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

:doh: Leave it to me to run into a Babe Ruth scholar right when I start feeling smart.

Sorry, dude - not my intent :cheers:

You're absolutely right that versatile doesn't necessarily mean great. Brian Mitchell was versatile but not great.

But being great at a lot of things (MJ for instance) does kick you into the sick level of stardom that Lavar may eventually realize he has the potential to be at.

More about Ruth. He was turned into an outfielder not because he was bad as a pitcher, but because he was so good with the bat.... they couldn't afford to give up that bat 4 days of every 5.

Coming a little closer to home, just because Baugh was a good QB doesn't mean that he was chopped liver as a safety or as a punter...

Originally posted by yank

Sorry, dude - not my intent :cheers:

You're absolutely right that versatile doesn't necessarily mean great. Brian Mitchell was versatile but not great.

But being great at a lot of things (MJ for instance) does kick you into the sick level of stardom that Lavar may eventually realize he has the potential to be at.

No problem. I learned something I didn't know about Babe Ruth, plus my ego tends to get out of hand because I'm such a genius. You checked it quite nicely. :)

Originally posted by redman

That's not an accurate description. I would have said that's true about Ken Harvey, for example, or Lawrence Taylor. But Lavar is a read and react guy who does best when he follows his eyes and his instincts while in a scheme that funnels plays to him. Say what you will about Marty, but he at least realized how best to use Lavar, which caused Lavar to have his best season with us in 2001.

I hate to always sound like a contrarian when discussing Arrington, but...:D

Read and react isn't his strong suit, it is his weakness. What saves Arrington is his athletic ability. He takes poor angles and he drifts out of position, but he's able to run himself back into plays using his speed. Teams take advantage of him in that regard, allowing him to run himself out of plays. It makes their jobs that much easier.

Remember the Urlacher/Arrington threads we had weeks ago? The big difference I cited then as to why Urlacher is better than Arrington is in terms of their respective read/react skills. Urlacher has been better than Arrington at this since they've been in the league (well, more accurately since Urlacher moved to the middle after failing on the outside during their rookie year) and he continues to improve at a faster rate than Arrington.

I don't feel that either guy is significantly more athletic than the other, though some argue Arrington is the better athlete while others argue Urlacher. Both players are significantly better athletes than Ray Lewis. Lewis is well ahead of both guys in this particular area, however. Urlacher has closed the gap but still has a way to go. Arrington needs to show improvement in this area, something I don't feel he's done enough of since entering the league. Once he gets a handle on it all, or rather "if", it'll be an amazing thing to witness.

Archived