Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cryptic Pasquarelli Reference to Bad Smoot Vibes?

Romberjo

I just noticed this -- could the bit highlighted below be referring to Smoot? Pasquarelli and Cerrato are certainly buddies, and this resonates with some rumors we heard earlier in the offseason. I sure hope we're not contemplating dumping Smoot. :toilet:

[line]

Friday, June 20

Offseason troubles will test Titans

[Paragraph excerpted from Tip Sheet]

By Len Pasquarelli

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1570923.html

One cornerback still looking for work, and who hasn't gotten much attention during the free-agency period, is beginning to pop up on some teams' radar screens. Even coming off a fractured ankle that sidelined him for the entire '02 season, veteran Terry Fair is getting some phone calls, and the volume should increase in a few weeks, when it's expected he will be close to 100 percent rehabilitated. Said one AFC personnel director: "If the guy is (healthy) and demonstrates it, he'll get action. He's one of the few veterans still out there who could be a meaningful July (addition). He can help you if he's whole again." A first-round choice of the Lions in 1998, Fair played four seasons in Detroit, then signed with Carolina as a free agent last summer before breaking his ankle. Just 26 years old, Fair averaged a dozen starts in his four seasons with the Lions, and never started fewer than 10 games in a campaign. He had seven interceptions, two returned for touchdowns, and 35 passes defensed. In addition, Fair was an explosive return man, averaging 24.9 yards on kickoff runbacks and scoring twice. Earlier this spring, he visited with officials from the Giants and Packers, both of whom continue to monitor his recovery. Among the other teams that have expressed an interest is an NFC club, one that confidences preclude us from identifying, but a franchise that could offer an intriguing opportunity. The team in question is growing weary of the offseason absences of one of its starting cornerbacks, a player whose past includes some off-field problems, and the coaches and club officials have some issues with the player. Look for Fair, who is still young and talented enough to be more than just a roster bottom-feeder if his ankle is sound, to be in someone's camp.

I hope (and think) you're right, Blade, but the pre-draft marijuana in the trashcan thing might qualify (at least in Pasquarelli's mind) as off-field "problems" in the "past," I think there were rumors about his not showing up for offseason workouts/lifting, and of course the Smoot to Detroit, etc., rumors.

I hope (and think) all you yea-sayers are right, but here are some extremeskins postings from two months ago quoting Sportsline and Pasquarelli reports about Smoot's (purported) off-field problems and non-attendance at offseason workouts. (On the other hand, Cerrato in a WP chat said he thought Smoot would be around for the long-term, for what that's worth.)

[line]

CBS: Skins offering Smoot for a third rounder; FO has off the field concerns posted on April-25th-2003 12:46 PM

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6334598

The Redskins are offering cornerback Fred Smoot around the league for a third-round pick. Smoot is certainly worth that as a player, but there are again concerns about his off-field behavior. The Redskins have flat out tired of his ways, which is why they want to dump him. Smoot had a reputation for off-field trouble when he came into the league but settled down as a rookie and had an outstanding year. But he took a major step back last year, and some inside the Redskins organization say it's because he slacked off away from the field. That has turned teams away from making any potential deals, even those that need a corner. But if some coach thinks he can get Smoot focused, he's a heck of a talent to get for a third-round pick.

[line]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1544739

Friday, April 25, 2003

Ten trades that could happen

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

CB Fred Smoot, Washington: A second-round choice in 2001, Smoot has cover skills and has played well for the Redskins in two years. But he has been a frequent no-show at the offseason conditioning program this spring and, at some point in his career, is going to want to be paid the money that he feels he missed out on as a rookie, when his draft stock plummeted in the days preceding the lottery. Owner Dan Snyder has said that Smoot will not be traded but, for the right offer, he would certainly consider it.

Interesting. Because this is what Fred himself had to say about this offseason so far. From the article I put up earlier.

Even though Redskins third-year cornerback Fred Smoot has led the team in interceptions his first two NFL seasons, he is trying to refine his game heading into the 2003 season. Smoot says he has worked hard this offseason to make sure he's a better tackler and a more physical cornerback when the season starts September 4 against the Jets at FedExField.

"I've picked up a lot more strength," Smoot said. "That's one of the big things I focused on in the offseason: getting stronger. You can see the increased strength in my game play and in the way I practice when I'm checking people. That's the main thing I wanted to improve on and I think I have."

And again at the end of the article.

Said Smoot: "I've been working very hard this offseason, month after month. I'm still chasing that championship. If we're able to work towards the Super Bowl, things like the Pro Bowl will come."

:cheers:

you don't trade a 24 year old starting cornerback for a #3 draft choice due to some questionable off the field behavior unless you think he is going down the road of a Dexter Manley and is headed out of control.

I don't sense that with Smoot. Smoot to me is a guy that probably listened to all the applause he got after a good rookie year and let people whisper in his ear that he was great enough of a talent to have a celebratory offseason instead of working hard in 2002.

Then he gets a new coach and new coordinator who weren't around for his rookie season and all they see is a guy that isn't living up to his billing.

Now, he is the process of trying to rebuild his credibility.

Given that his contract is up after the season, you would think 2003 will be a focused year for Smoot. If he has a pro bowl type year, it is his career paycheck.

If not, he could lose millions of dollars.

Smoot backslid a bit last season, but overall his 2 year performance has been very good. I seriously doubt the team would considering trading him for less value than his drafted position considering he’s been, for the most part, an effective 2 year starter. Most teams would be happy to have their 2nd round pick contribute at Smoot’s level so quickly…..or do I just have my biased glasses on?

Archived