Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something I've always wonder about...re:Red Sox/Yankee...Patriots/Giants

FunBunch7

I guess this is mostly for Red Sox and Patriots fans or even Yankees and Giants fans...

So the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 hole to win the ALCS a few years back...then went on to win thier first World Series in a gazillion years...

Would Red Sox fans TRADE that come back (and obviously the World Series Title) for the Patriots to have beaten the Giants in the SB and had the first ever 19-0 season?

Likewise, would the Giants fans trade the upset of the Patriots for that 3-0 collapse against the hated Red Sox?

As much as us older Skins fans still burn with grief over be shallacked by the Raiders in SB 18 cionsidering how good that 83' team was, it must be nothing compared to the feelings that Patriots fans feel over not closing the deal out in the SB or Yankee fans enduring their team's collapse.

Thoughts...and you don't have to be just a Boston/NY fan to chime in on this...

I couldn't imagine a Boston area fan trading away the Sox win to beat the Giants after they had already won 3 in the last several years, while the Sox hadn't won one in forever and thus breaking the curse.

Yankees are in it almost every year. I doubt the would have rather had the Yanks win it than the Giants.

I think both sides of that rivalry currently have what they'd prefer to have.

Boston is a baseball town first, everything else second. Yankees have the salve of 26 championships to lay over the biggest postseason collapse in MLB history.

With that said, that Super Bowl outcome sucked. The Cardiac Pats losing the ability to shut those geriatric old Dolphins up -- and losing it to an NFC East team other than the Redskins, no less. And giving back-to-back SB wins to the Doofus Brothers. Talk about adding insult to injury. At least that jackass moron Shockey got to watch it from the booth, proving once and for all that his injury was addition by subtraction.

I agree that both cities probably prefer it the way it went...

The Red Sox are it in Boston. They are passionate about the B's, C's, and Pats, but it's a Sox town. Breaking the curse by coming back from an "insurmountable" 0-3 deficit was perfect for that city.

As for New York, I think ruining Boston's perfect season and getting a Giants SB was much more important than adding a 26th (??) championship for the Yanks.

Good points...Super Bowls are far less easy to come by that 26 World Series Titles...

On the other end...the Red Sox winning it finally in the same decade in which the Patriots are the Team of the Decade makes it pretty sweet of Boston fans.

"But"...a 19-0 season, especially the way the Patriots demolished everyone, may have just ranked as the best team ever in all sports...(for a single season).

Archived