Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ayers in Denver looking good

artmonkforHOF

Mike Mayock thinks this guy will be the best defensive football player from this draft in 3 years, maybe he is a bit a head of schedule. This is the one guy I regret missing on in the draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/No-1-pick-Ayers-impressing-in-Denver-could-be-s;_ylt=AkhcrzZe6CajPT4GsTiIJw1DubYF?urn=nfl,175068

No.1 pick Ayers impressing in Denver, could be starter

Robert Ayers(notes), the No.1 selection of the Denver Broncos, appears to be on the fast track to becoming a starter according to Pro Football Weekly.

According to the report, Ayers, the 18th overall pick in the draft, picked things up quickly during offseason activities and received a good deal of reps with the first-team defense. It's certain he'll start at one of the front-seven spots on defense from Day One, but exactly where is something the Broncos still have to figure out.

Pro Football Weekly reported Ayers was mostly lining up at outside linebacker in the team's 3-4 set but he could be moved to defensive end, and most likely will rush with his hand on the ground on passing downs.

The Broncos could re-evaluate the best place to put Ayers depending on what they see from other front-seven players. The coaching staff has established a level of trust in Ayers, and it badly needs him to make an instant impact when the regular season starts, according to the report.

Source: Pro Football Weeklynewwin12_1.gif

If I were a Broncos fan I'd definitely hope that he was going to start. Their defense sucked last year and they got Ayers 18th overall in the draft. Who would start over him? Nick Greisen? Andra Davis? Mario Haggan?

Their front 7 is so devoid of even average talent outside of D.J. Williams and Elvis Dumervil that if Ayers didn't start, or at least play a ton in rotation for the first couple of games, it'd be somewhat strange.

I will only be depressed about this if Orakpo is a bust. I'm hoping the whole OLB thing is only for very specific packages, and most of the time we see Rak's hand in the dirt.

Sounds like the other way around, and that was always the plan.

Archived