Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever use a cast protector??

Capt. Kaos

What type of cast do you have?

Depending on the injury/cast, you could get a waterproof one....

I've put on a ton of those types of casts on patients, especially during the summer-time, and people were usually pretty happy with them.

What type of cast do you have?

Depending on the injury/cast, you could get a waterproof one....

I've put on a ton of those types of casts on patients, especially during the summer-time, and people were usually pretty happy with them.

There are different types?!? :silly:

The injury: a badly sprained ankle

All I know about the cast is the PA unwrapped the roll, placed it under running water, rung the roll out and put it on my leg over top the cottony padding that he had placed on my leg earlier. My instructions were to not get it wet, at all.

There are different types?!? :silly:

The injury: a badly sprained ankle

All I know about the cast is the PA unwrapped the roll, placed it under running water, rung the roll out and put it on my leg over top the cottony padding that he had placed on my leg earlier. My instructions were to not get it wet, at all.

Yeah, I was meaning short leg, long leg, short arm, etc. I wasn't sure what your injury was. Sounds like you have a short leg cast though.

If you don't have any open wounds on your leg (normally from surgical incisions), you are a candidate for a waterproof cast. We usually did them for short arm casts, but I imagine it can be used for short leg casts too.

It's something you can check into at least and ask your doctor about.

We would usually do it for kids who were planning on going on summer vacations with their family, or people who complained about duct tape and trashbags :silly:

I don't know if you are getting care through your primary care physician or an ortho, but this is the stuff we used in my dad's ortho office:

http://www.castliner.com/index.html

I don't know of a primary care physician who's ever offered waterproof casts at his/her office their office though, just because it's specialized material that the doctor has to order and keep on hand, and usually PCP's just carry the regular stuff. So you could be up a creek if you're PCP is overseeing this injury. But duct tape and trashbags really aren't the end of the world, I've had to do that myself.

Yeah, I was meaning short leg, long leg, short arm, etc. I wasn't sure what your injury was. Sounds like you have a short leg cast though.

If you don't have any open wounds on your leg (normally from surgical incisions), you are a candidate for a waterproof cast. We usually did them for short arm casts, but I imagine it can be used for short leg casts too.

It's something you can check into at least and ask your doctor about.

We would usually do it for kids who were planning on going on summer vacations with their family, or people who complained about duct tape and trashbags :silly:

I don't know if you are getting care through your primary care physician or an ortho, but this is the stuff we used in my dad's ortho office:

http://www.castliner.com/index.html

I don't know of a primary care physician who's ever offered waterproof casts at his/her office their office though, just because it's specialized material that the doctor has to order and keep on hand, and usually PCP's just carry the regular stuff. So you could be up a creek if you're PCP is overseeing this injury. But duct tape and trashbags really aren't the end of the world, I've had to do that myself.

Sorry, yeah I guess it's a short leg (short of my knee) and I'm seeing a ortho. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call on Monday and see if a waterproof cast is an option. The reason I was looking at the cast protector was so I could use the pool. It sucks watching the rest of the family splashing around and all I can do is sit on the deck.

Sorry, yeah I guess it's a short leg (short of my knee) and I'm seeing a ortho. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call on Monday and see if a waterproof cast is an option. The reason I was looking at the cast protector was so I could use the pool. It sucks watching the rest of the family splashing around and all I can do is sit on the deck.

Yeah, that's a short leg.

I was the cast chick at my dad's office and I got a lot of calls (especially during this time of year) from people who were originally given regular casts then decided they wanted waterproof ones upon further review, lol. So they'd come back, I'd cut it off, then put on a waterproof one and they were much happier. It was only like $15 extra bucks.

Anyway, I don't know if your ortho can do that, but it's definitely worth giving them a call about. Good luck! :)

EDIT: As for the cast protector in the original OP, I haven't heard of it and have never heard patients talking about it. Personally, I'd probably just stick with the duct tape and trashbags...it wouldn't be worth it to me to order a specialized protector thingy. But, whatever, it certainly wouldn't harm you or anything. Whatever can make you more comfortable!

Archived