Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Canty happy to be part of 'tremendous defense’ in New York

tr1

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS

http://www.star-telegram.com/nflinsider/story/1404900.html

The movers were at Chris Canty’s new home last week. He is starting to feel at home in the New York Giants’ locker room, too.

Canty left the Dallas Cowboys almost three months ago, the Giants’ six-year, $42 million offer too rich for Dallas to beat. He started organized team activities with his new team last week.

"It feels good," Canty said in a telephone interview. "I put on my jersey, and it’s the same 99. Different jersey, a little different football team, different team atmosphere, but it’s very exciting, and I’m happy to be a part of it."

In his four seasons in Dallas, Canty played in all 64 possible games, with 50 starts. He made 148 tackles, 10 sacks and defensed eight passes. But Canty, who has his weight up from the low 300s to 315-320, expects his stats to go up now that he’s in a 4-3 defense.

"Three-four defensive lines get a bad rap of sorts, because they don’t make a lot of stats," Canty said. "They’re not statisticians out there. They don’t make a lot of big, big plays that people see on a consistent basis. It is what it is."

Canty joins what could be the best defensive line in football, with Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson, Barry Cofield, Jay Alford and Rocky Bernard. He is working at both tackle and end, but is expected to play primarily at tackle, where Fred Robbins and Cofield both have had off-season knee surgery.

"Obviously, there’s an opportunity to be part of a tremendous team, a tremendous defense and particularly the defensive line," Canty said. " ... When you have those kind of guys on your front, you give yourself an opportunity to be successful. They really can’t key in on one particular player. So that was something that was definitely attractive for me."

Canty, 26, said he has "no sour grapes" about the Cowboys letting him go. He got $17.25 million in guaranteed money from the Giants after the Cowboys never made a serious move to keep him from free agency.

"It wasn’t particularly hard [to leave]," Canty said. "I did enjoy playing with that group of guys down there. It’s a great group of guys on that defense. Business is business, and you’ve got to be where they want you. Dallas pretty much said, by their non-action, that they didn’t want me there anymore. That’s fine. I understand it’s a business.

"I’m just excited to be a part of the Giants. It’s a football team that really wanted me to come up here and be a part of it."

Archived