Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo Brings 3-4 Hybrid Possibilities

SuperPhreak

With the draft now over, I think the Redskins should give some 3-4 looks this season. Imagine Rocky McIntosh sliding inside with London FletcherBaker, Orakpo the edge rusher, and Chris Wilson on another running blitzes. Albert Haynesworth at the NT taking up the tackles with Antony Montgomery on one end, Andre Carter on the other.. ridiculous.

I'm not saying we should run that all the time or even transition, but giving looks like that, versatility is what this league is looking for right now, and being able to give multiple looks would bring another dimension to our defense.

Andre Carter is 40 pounds too light to even consider posing as a 3-4 DE. Haynesworth, Wynn, Montgomery, and Golston are the only guys with the size to pull that off. Putting Carter, Orakpo, or Wilson at OLB would be somewhat questionable from a pass coverage standpoint as well and would make the formation somewhat one-dimensional.

What these offseason moves DO give us is a lot of flexibility WITHIN the 4-3. You can create pretty much any look you want on the front four with the guys we have. Mix it up any way you like... line up against the run with Wynn, Golston/Griffin, Haynesworth, and Daniels or put pressure on the QB with Carter, Montgomery/Griffin, Haynesworth, and Orakpo.

Why the infatuation with the over rated 3-4 defense, I will never know.

If we ran a 3-4 it would be with Griff, Big Al and Daniels playing down and Rak, AC, LFB and Rocky as the LBs. We just don't have the personnel.

Rak said he will do it, but wants to stay in the dirt and AC hates the 3-4 OLB spot and is know to suck at it.

We will run a 4-3. If anything, we could run a 4-6 with the guys we have now and that could be useful to combat the wildcat.

I think we could run either defense. I'm pretty sure we would stick with the 4-3; I don't know if Rocky could play inside. If we would have taken Jasper Brinkley in the 5th round (like we should have) we could play 3-4 easy.....Daniels-Haynesworth-Griffin on the line and Orakpo-Brinkley-Fletcher-Carter at LB. You have Rocky and Chris Wilson as depth on the OLB and Blades as depth for the ILB. Wynn and Rob Jackson as depth for the DE and Monty and Kendrick for depth at NT. We would lack the depth at ILB to make the transition this year.

What our defense provides this year is an easy transition to the 3-4 in the coming years, If we chose to go that rout. It provides us great rotation to keep a fresh front 7 in the 4-3 system.

We now have our run stuffing ends: Wynn & Daniels, 4 starting caliper DT, three pass rushing DE: Wilson, Orakpo, and Carter. Depth at LB from the draft picks (hopefully they pan out) I still think we are a little weak at the SAM LB position. I like the idea of converting Chris Wilson to SSLB....I think he is a diamond in the rough.

I'm disappointed that we didn't address our RT need, but I'm excited to see how this defense plays.

We can run 3-4, in my opinion, out of a few sets, and audible between 3-4 and 4-3 to throw off offenses.

Maybe have Rack/Carter and Daniels as the DEs in a couple 4-3 sets, and just audible/rotate Carter/Rak to OLB for those few plays.

It'll be a nice change of pace, but still shouldn't change our defensive strategies at all.

i like the idea of being a hybrid type of D....able to run 3-4 against teams that like to do the short pass you know dink and donk type teams and also being able to go back to a 4-3 for teams that like to run. But to tell you the truth i really like what we have right now playing the 4-3 with the front 7 we have we can move just about anybody in that front to anywhere we need them to play to get the best match up's...If this D can have a high sack rate this year then we have a super bowl type D. Most of the top teams last year had a really good D. B-more, Giants, Steelers, Titian's, Philly, and Vikings. Besides the giants none of them really scare anybody with there O play all were avg. at best. just my thought.

Archived