Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Met Danny Smith on Saturday - had conversation with him (draft related)

skinsfan23

Thought I would share my story here. I was at the Georgetown Waterfront on Saturday evening and I saw this guy with his wife who looked like Danny Smith. So I went up to the guy and asked "Has anyone ever told you that you look like the special teams coach of the redskins?" He replied, no one has ever told me that! Then he laughed and introduced himself. He is a real nice guy and his wife is real hot for being an older woman. Anyways, we got to talking and he asked me who we should draft? I told him that we need to draft Smith if he is there at 13. He told me that Smith was at Redskins park a few days ago and that he is obviously up there on a lot of teams draft boards...

I then asked him if this whole Mark Sanchez business was smoke and mirrors and he couldnt give me a straight answer (not that he is obligated to give a straight answer to me)... He laughed it up and told me that he is going to be in the draft room on Saturday and that alot of things and scenarios change throughout the day, and even he doesnt know what is going to happen. I said I really hope we don't draft him...

We talked for a few more minutes about non - football realted stuff and then that was that. But all in all he is a real nice guy and it was a cool experience.

So anyways this isnt really too much new/inside information, I just thought it would be a story that I could pass on here.

You should have begged him to let Deangelo Hall or Devin Thomas or Santana Moss return punts.

Also, I wonder what he thinks about our kickers and punters because they were just terrible last year.

I wonder if Suisham kept him up nights questioning if it was all worth it.

haha yeah i know looking back at it I should have asked him a bunch of questions. at the same time i wasn't trying to annoy him or talk about how ****ty or special teams are, as I am sure he hears that alot.

haha yeah i know looking back at it I should have asked him a bunch of questions. at the same time i wasn't trying to annoy him or talk about how ****ty or special teams are, as I am sure he hears that alot.

Oh I'm sure he doesn't hear the end of it. In Washington? Every Joe Blow on the street knows (or thinks he does) better than the coaches what to do. If nothing else, Redskins fans are a dedicated yet opinionated lot.

We're usually solid on ST, last year was just the perfect storm of having a mediocre-bad kicker/punter/punt returner. Suisham has always been iffy and last year he bottomed out. Brooks was a gamble being a rookie that didn't work out. Randle El is a pedestrian punt returner whose gotten older and probably lost some of his confidence.

You have to work with the tools the FO gives you I guess, but man they aren't giving him much.

Sounds like you had a great time up at the waterfront. Must be cool to meet a nice guy like Smith that is willing to talk to you for a while. It gives you insight on what the people on the inside actually know about the draft a few days before the event. It sounds like he wont know much until draft day actually happens. Its pretty cool to hear that he will be in the war room with the rest of the staff. Looks like we might end up getting Roscoe Parrish so Danny might have some say in on that possible acquisition as well.

That is all...Jorge is gay.

Danny is great. My friend and I talked with him at the Beach Blitz for at least a half hour a couple years ago and then we talked with him a little at Cooley's event. He said he's encouraged by the special teams and has all the faith that Suisham will bounce back

Archived