Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody here a pescetarian?

Diggs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

To sum up from Wiki, it is a person who "eats any combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans and fish or seafood, but will not eat mammals or birds. Some animal products like eggs and dairy may or may not be part of a pescetarian diet plan."

As some might remember, I'm the one who brought up the "Master Cleanse" a few weeks back and I did happen to follow through with this detox (as described throughout the blog I wrote on it).

Anyway, at the start of the detox (mid-March), I was 200.5# and now I'm maintaining around 190#. So now that I'm just a few weeks after the cleanse, I have decided to continue a healthy diet and after talking to some people and doing a little research, I'm going to try out being a pescetarian for a few months.

I'm not some overzealous pseudo-vegetarian, I love beef, chicken, pork, you name it. It's just something I'm going to do to obviously reduce my saturated fat, etc. intake while consuming more healthy fish, fruit, veggies, etc.

One of the biggest things it has done (on it since Monday) is ensure I don't eat any fried chicken, sugary saucy chinese meats, etc. Obviously, I could eat fried shrimp or something but after the cleanse, I'm not craving any breaded stuff right now.

My goal is to get down to 180# in the next month.

Fish isnt any better for you than any other lean meat, so why limit yourself?

Fish can be argued to be vastly superior to other meats due to its lesser amount of calories, and abundance of "healthy fats" and Omega-3 fatty acids as opposed to red meat and others that contain more saturated fat and are believed to lead to an increased risk of cancer and heart disease.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102306407

You know me, I love me a steak and will sure enough eat it plenty of times before my heart expires. But the proof is in the uh, fish.

Eating should not have that many rules attached to it. I would feel like I am doing my taxes every time I go to a restaurant.

I am doing it for a few months. I can almost never completely commit to anything 100%. Probably why I may never get married. :evilg:

Fish can be argued to be vastly superior to other meats due to its lesser amount of calories, and abundance of "healthy fats" and Omega-3 fatty acids as opposed to red meat and others that contain more saturated fat and are believed to lead to an increased risk of cancer and heart disease.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102306407

You know me, I love me a steak and will sure enough eat it plenty of times before my heart expires. But the proof is in the uh, fish.

I know that fish has some benefits that beef or chicken doesnt, but it works in reverse too.

I eat salmon at least once a week, and you know i eat enough tuna to develop a mild glow from the mercury.

On the flip side, 6 oz of salmon or most fish have about 20 grams of protein. 6 oz of steak has about 42 grams of protein.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Plus beef is loaded with iron and b vitamins, which are vital if you plan on lifting.

I know that fish has some benefits that beef or chicken doesnt, but it works in reverse too.

I eat salmon at least once a week, and you know i eat enough tuna to develop a mild glow from the mercury.

On the flip side, 6 oz of salmon or most fish have about 20 grams of protein. 6 oz of steak has about 42 grams of protein.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Plus beef is loaded with iron and b vitamins, which are vital if you plan on lifting.

Eh- we both know this can be a back and forth. Hell, I could argue both sides based on my nerd-level knowledge of nutrition I've attained over the years.

I'm sure we could find some world-class bodybuilders who are vegetarians that can argue getting an abundance of protein sources that does not include meat or fish (but that is a different thread).

I tend not to hold an "extreme" viewpoint on either side because they both (in proper moderation) can be really beneficial to a healthy diet.

In an ideal world, I think eating an abundance of healthy vegetables, fruit, nuts and grains, and meat dishes as a side and not as a main entree is the optimum diet. All this of course with little to no processed bs we Americans have grown to overindulge in causing our health costs to skyrocket and our lifespans to shrink.

That being said, eating all seafood and not any meat or beef for the next 2 months will help me reach my goal of getting in kick-ass shape and dropping weight to 180#.

:D

I tend not to hold to an "extreme" viewpoint on either side because they both (in proper moderation) can be really beneficial to a healthy diet.

Thats all im saying. Variety is healthier than cutting out certain foods completely. Besides soda and chocolate and butter etc etc.

That being said, eating all seafood and not any meat or beef for the next 2 months will help me reach my goal of getting in kick-ass shape and dropping weight to 180#.

:D

We need to get some pickup games going too for the cardio. I will stuff the **** out of your weak fish-fueled garbage. :chair:

Thats all im saying. Variety is healthier than cutting out certain foods completely. Besides soda and chocolate and butter etc etc.

We need to get some pickup games going too for the cardio. I will stuff the **** out of your weak fish-fueled garbage. :chair:

Shooooooot- if i eat all this fish and start swimming regularly i'm gonna go all aqua-man in this beotch. except i'll be cool and will run the 3-weave man and drop dimes to myself while I score on yo azz. :box:

My wife does this.

I think it is a very healthy decision, but she doesn't do it for health reasons. She just thinks it hypocritical to eat anything that she could not bear to kill herself. She could kill a fish, but not a mammal or bird.

Archived