Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Roberts question?

Montilar

I'm having some memory failure. (can the wisecracks already)

I just pulled out the Mr. Roberts dvd and watched it for the first time in a while. Either there are two versions made or I'm mixing movies together. I distinctly remember scenes not in the movie.

for all you, who haven't seen it, it has henry fonda, james Cagney, and another famous (comedian) whose name excapes me right now as the main characters. They are on a supply ship in the Pacific in WW2 and Roberts (fonda) is doing everything to get transferred to a destroyer, only the captain (Cagney) won't let him.)

I distinctly remember another similar movie or the same movie with different scenes such as Ensign Pulver (the famous comedian/actor) being shipwrecked on an island with some nurses and the crotchety old captain (Cagney). And Pulver having to operate on Cagney's appendix as the nurse's arms are broke or something, using the Doc's advice over the radio. He puts the marbles into the captains guts to prove he can carry through with a prank. (Pulver is a weak kneed scaredy cat who talks about all these pranks and never follows through until then.)

What movie is it or is it the same movie with different scenes?

Absolutely love Mister Roberts. An all time favorite. Watch it almost everytime it's on...usually on AMC. :D However, I have not watched Ensign Pulver, the sequel to Mr. Roberts that believe you may be thinking of. Completely different cast though. Maybe?

:cheers:

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

The comedian was Jack Lemmon.

The second scene was from a sequel movie called I think "Ensign Pulver" but it had different actors playing Ensign Pulver and the Captain.

You are correct sir. "Ensign Pulver" was a poor sequel, starring Burl Ives (the Snowman in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer) as the Captain.

Thanks.

Cast is supposedly robert Walker and Burl Ives. Walter Mathua is the Doc.

Now isn't that hilarious. I just did a search for "ensign pulver" on Amazon. It couldn't find it. I expanded the search outside of amazon. It found it.

Where? Being offered for sale on Amazon. :doh:

Montilar....

Man, you've seized on one of my all time favorite movies...little seen, but makes an impression every time. I showed it to my Marine Platoon prior to shipping out for Gulf War I. It shows the value of a little rebellion and antisocial behavior to any leader....

'Tis I, Ensign Pulver, and I just threw your stinking palm tree over the side again. Now whats this I hear about no movie tonight!'

Classic. A must see.

To answer your question, they couldn't lure Jack Lemmon (one of the top ten American actors of all time) back for the sequel, so it was Robert Walker Jr. who played pulver in 'Ensign Pulver'. That movie was mostly notable for its young star cast (Jack Nicholson, James Farantino, and Larry Hagman all had parts).

If you haven't seen 'Mister Roberts', do yourself a favor and rent it. An absolute classic.

Archived