Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tiger Shark Encounter

cjcdaman

I'm not sure if any of you guys seen this, but three guys were spear fishing for tuna in the Gulf of Mexico and had encountered a 12 foot tiger shark. The photographer, D.J Struntz is from right here in Wilmington. They appeared on CBS Early Show. Check out the video at the link. Simply Amazing!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/13/earlyshow/main4863737.shtml?source=search_story

I saw this. Unfortunately the video starts after they've already shot the shark several times and it's nearly dead. It would've been interesting to see footage from earlier in the fight when the shark was more lively.

I saw this. Unfortunately the video starts after they've already shot the shark several times and it's nearly dead. It would've been interesting to see footage from earlier in the fight when the shark was more lively.

Yeah, I liked how he was just riding the back of it by holding its fin.

We were snorkeling/catching lobster/spear fishing south of Key West at Sand Keys, my wife was in the deep water, I was in the shallow. I turned around to see where she was, and a huge fin popped up a few feet away from her. She said she saw a face full of snaggled teeth, to this day I am not sure what type of shark it was.

Seems to me like they were having fun and hunting the shark instead of the shark hunting them.
Too bad a Great White didn't show up to take care of these *******s.

Oh, please. You ever had a tiger shark coming after you? Neither have I, so don't try putting yourself in that position.

Oh, please. You ever had a tiger shark coming after you? Neither have I, so don't try putting yourself in that position.

My guess is they were testing the spear gun they were filming teh commercial for and the Tiger Shark became a good target. If they had time to swim and protect the guy, they had time to get out of the water and leave it alone.

Oh and I have swam with nurse shark before, in about 15 feet of water. :D

My guess is they were testing the spear gun they were filming teh commercial for and the Tiger Shark became a good target. If they had time to swim and protect the guy, they had time to get out of the water and leave it alone.

Oh and I have swam with nurse shark before, in about 15 feet of water. :D

The guy with the camera had nothing to protect himself. The shark would not leave him alone. When the guy with the spear gun got between the camera guy and the shark, the shark kept getting more aggressive and he made the decision to pull the trigger. Got no complaints from me. And there is a difference between a nurse shark and a tiger shark. Tiger sharks are one of the most aggressive sharks in the ocean.

The guy with the camera had nothing to protect himself. The shark would not leave him alone. When the guy with the spear gun got between the camera guy and the shark, the shark kept getting more aggressive and he made the decision to pull the trigger. Got no complaints from me. And there is a difference between a nurse shark and a tiger shark. Tiger sharks are one of the most aggressive sharks in the ocean.

He made it sound like it went on for a while, my understanding was they stayed in the water for a period of time before deciding to pull the trigger.

He made it sound like it went on for a while, my understanding was they stayed in the water for a period of time before deciding to pull the trigger.

It took two hours to kill the shark. After shooting it with the spear, they wanted to make sure the shark was dead because it was going to die anyway.

It took two hours to kill the shark. After shooting it with the spear, they wanted to make sure the shark was dead because it was going to die anyway.

What was the time frame between having to shoot it, and possibly getting out of the water. These guys are very experienced at free diving, they could have got out of the water. I can dive 20 to 25 feet with out a tank, I bet you these guys easily dive to depths of 40 or better and hang out for a decent period of time.

What was the time frame between having to shoot it, and possibly getting out of the water. These guys are very experienced at free diving, they could have got out of the water. I can dive 20 to 25 feet with out a tank, I bet you these guys easily dive to depths of 40 or better and hang out for a decent period of time.

That I don't know, but I do know that I would not turn my back on a tiger shark. From what I understand, the shark would not leave them alone and became very aggressive. Unfortunately, the video doesn't show you that. It only shows the guy riding the back of the shark and stabbing him. I'm not second guessing them.

That I don't know, but I do know that I would not turn my back on a tiger shark. From what I understand, the shark would not leave them alone and became very aggressive. Unfortunately, the video doesn't show you that. It only shows the guy riding the back of the shark and stabbing him. I'm not second guessing them.

What ever happened, it is a pretty wild video.

It's a shame they didn't or couldn't find a way to leave it alone.

What ever happened, it is a pretty wild video.

It's a shame they didn't or couldn't find a way to leave it alone.

That we can agree agree on. It would have been better if both sides went their own way. But these are the comments that I can't stand . . .

Too bad a Great White didn't show up to take care of these *******s.

Yeah, who cares if the humans die. How could you kill an animal? :doh:

Archived