Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants DT Keith Hamilton busted for drug possession............

TC4

http://www.nj.com/giants/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1053671819180980.xml

Giants tackle Hamilton is arrested with drugs, alcohol

Friday, May 23, 2003

BY KIMBERLY JONES STAR-LEDGER STAFF Giants defensive tackle Keith Hamilton may face discipline from the NFL under its substance abuse policy after his arrest on alcohol and drug charges early yesterday morning in Morris County.

Star-Ledger Staff

Hamilton, a 12-year veteran, was charged with possession of an undetermined amount of cocaine, possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled dangerous substance in a motor vehicle and consumption of alcohol in a motor vehicle, said Harding police Sgt. Dan Nunn.

Hamilton was stopped at 12:48 a.m. yesterday on southbound Route 287 for having tinted windows in his 2003 Mercedes Benz, for which he received a summons, Nunn said.

Hamilton was released after the arrest. The charges will be referred to the Morris County Prosecutor's Office, authorities said.

Hamilton, who lives in West Paterson, could not be reached for comment yesterday. His 32nd birthday is Sunday.

Pat Hanlon, the Giants vice president of communications, said the team was aware of the situation but had no comment.

This could be Hamilton's second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, although all information of that nature is confidential under the league's collective bargaining agreement. Hamilton pleaded guilty in May 1999 in Fort Lee Municipal Court to driving while under the influence of cocaine, an admission that automatically would have entered him into the league's substance abuse program.

Hamilton now could be elevated into stage two of the program, where his punishment likely would be a fine equal to four game checks.

If this is his second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, Hamilton would not be at risk of being suspended by the league. Under substance abuse policy, a player does not receive a suspension, for four weeks, until his third offense.

The longest-tenured Giant and among the most respected leaders in the locker room, Hamilton has had a difficult, emotional past nine months. He was hit hard by his grandmother's death last August and was granted a short leave from training camp.

In October, Hamilton tore his right Achilles' tendon. Though the injury was season-ending, and potentially career-threatening, his rehabilitation has gone according to schedule. He has been running on a treadmill and appears fit.

"I feel good," Hamilton said late last month. "I'm ready to roll, baby. I'm ready to go."

Hamilton, however, remained affected by the sudden death of his 17-year-old sister, Rhyan, in late December. She was killed in a car accident near the family's home in Virginia. Hamilton had her likeness tattooed on the left of his torso, under his heart.

The 6-6 Hamilton, who weighed a trim 278 pounds at the end of April, has recently talked optimistically about his future. A colorful storyteller, Hamilton seemed to have regained his sense of humor, and his presence at off-season workouts was welcomed by teammates.

He didn't seem fazed the Giants drafted a defensive tackle in the first round of this year's draft -- William Joseph from the University of Miami. Hamilton said he would help Joseph but added, "I'm going in to be the starter."

When Hamilton, the longest-tenured current Giant, finally leaves the game, he has said he wants it to be on his terms.

"I'm going into this season like I go into every other season, and that's to go to work," he said. "I'm not going in looking for time off or (stuff) like that. I'm going in there to be the man, and that's it."

Man, this is right where I live in Morris County.

Question: what is a professional football player who is probably a millionaire at least a few times over, doing living in West Paterson?

For those of you who aren't from NJ, West Paterson is the hood. There are plenty of nice suburbs around here where he could live. Or if he has to live in an urban area, there's Hoboken, Jersey City, or even across the river in Manhattan.

I'm sorry, Mr. Hamilton. Its my fault you got busted for drugs. See, I'm a Cowboys fan, and ever since the FA period started this year, I was hoping the Cowboys would find a way to add you to their team. Gee, I didn't think you could get busted for drugs just because someone wanted you to be a Cowboy, but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, good luck with that whole suspension/sentence thing. And please accept my most sincere apology.

FlashBack can you imagine the grief cowpokes would ve received if they did sign him and then he was busted?

Money doesnt equate to character or having common sense.

You can take the HoodRat out of Ghetto but you can't take the Ghetto out of the HoodRat.

I'll help out the morally challenged here.

If You commit a Crime You are Guilty!!

Dirk he could have bought one of our homes in West New York NJ, right by the lincoln tunnel at the ferries. Many of the NY atheletes bought into that community. You are right what the hell is HE doing in West Patterson?

I don't understand how they didn't catch his drug use on urine tests. My doc made me take a urine test a few weeks ago to check on whether his patients were actually taking they pain meds. They found a very small trace amount of pot in my system. I smoked 1/2 a doobie with the guys at my superbowl party in JAN. That test picked it up 4 months later. That was the only time all year that I smoked it. You can't tell me the NFL doesn't know who does and doesn't do drugs and to what extent.

Heres another article on this subject:

Arrest clouds Hamilton's future with Giants

By Darrell Trimble

NFL Insider

Friday, May 23

Updated: May 23

11:35 AM ET

New York Giants defensive tackle Keith Hamilton will turn 32 on Sunday, but his birthday celebration will be dampened somewhat because of his arrest early Thursday morning.

Hamilton was pulled over on a New Jersey highway and arrested for possession of cocaine, possession of under 50 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, reports the New York Post. Hamilton was also charged with the motor vehicle violation of consumption of alcohol in a vehicle.

The team has no comment at this time, but the incident certainly doesn't bode well for his career as a Giant.

Hamilton is one of the team leaders, but he missed almost all of last season after rupturing his Achilles' tendon. Given his age and the amount of miles he's piled up on his engine, there was no certainty that Hamilton would return to the form that made him the second-most important of the Giants' front four. That's why the team drafted University of Miami tackle William Joseph.

But this latest infraction could hasten his departure, because it's not the first one he's had. In 1998, Hamilton was stopped for speeding and was charged with possession of marijuana, driving under the influence of a controlled dangerous substance and numerous motor-vehicle violations. He was fined $2,000 and his driver's license was suspended for six months.

Since Thursday's episode was his second infraction dealing with substance abuse, Hamilton will be fined and not suspended. But should there be a next time he'll definitely miss time, and given his advancing age and contract status, the Giants might not want to take that risk.

Hamilton's base salary this year is only $1 million, but it skyrockets to $3.5 million the following season, and increases until 2006, the final year of the contract.

With his small base salary, the Giants will keep him this season if he can come close to his pre-Achilles level of performance. Hamilton has been working feverishly to ensure that happens, and has his weight down to 278 pounds and he's running without trace of a limp. But if the rookie Joseph shows he has the skills to replace him in the near future, Hamilton's days are numbered.

Joseph will get a chance to showcase his talent, as he will back up Hamilton and Cornelius Griffin. But since the Giants plan to rotate at least six defensive linemen, he'll see plenty of turf-time.

Joseph was impressive during the team's rookie camp, and the coaching staff was pleased with his stance. One of the knocks on the 6-foot-5 Joseph was his inability to get his pad level low enough to generate acceptable leverage.

Defensive coordinator Johnnie Lynn was impressed enough to liken Joseph to a big cat. But his first real test will not come until training camp in July, when the rookies will have to contend with veterans.

Archived