Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ/NBC Poll: Obama Gets Strong Support in Poll

mjah

After the recent escalation of goofy claims around here that Obama is somehow now a major target for blame over the economy, it's nice to sweep out that alternate-reality thinking with an actual reality check.

WARNING: The link below goes to DailyKos. DailyKos links to the original Wall Street Journal poll. DailyKos editorializing and WSJ editorializing can resemble left and right bookends from the same set, but in this case the poll comes from WSJ's actual news division. Regardless, oversubscribed partisans in this thread are warned that they risk symptoms similar to the Ghostbusters crossing streams, and may want to skip this thread lest they literally explode.

DailyKos is linked here for their concise summary, and for their near-total lack of editorializing in this link. No, really. It's true. Take a look.

Obama Gets Strong Support in Poll

In the WSJ survey, 84% of respondents believe Obama inherited the economic situation. Only 25% of respondents think he'll bear a plurality of blame for the economic situation in 1-2 years. Nearly as many think it will take more than 3 years before Obama is "mostly responsible."

80% approve of Obama's Iraq plans. By more than 2-to-1, respondents believe the Democrats are better suited than the Republicans to fix the economic mess. The 20% the Republicans got on this question edged out the 16% of people saying neither party is any good.

Even as people are deeply disappointed with the economy (70%) and most people think the country is on the wrong track (65%), that last stat is about 20% improved from October of last year (!) and Obama's popularity is still sky-high even as the economy gets worse.

For the lack of bipartisanship in Washington, Obama and the Democrats are given almost none of the blame.

Interestingly, respondents clearly don't want to pay more taxes to support health care. That's down almost 20% from the same stat in 1993.

It seems clear to a lucid observer that the right wing's attempts to link Obama with the stock market can only be called a failure. Maybe they should try something else.

I wonder if the sampling is biased or truly purple?:halo:

Adherents to the "all news is really biased" school of thought might suggest that NBC and WSJ should cancel each other out.

Hahahahaha, just kidding. Each side will claim bias only from the organization they think does the worst job of reflecting their personal views. Good times.

But in reality, the poll is conducted by Hart/McInturff, the (respectively) Democratic and Republican pollsters who serve(d) as co-directors of the WSJ/NBC polling operation. McInturff joined McCain's failed campaign and stepped down last year, so I don't know whether he's back on board now or what. But I really doubt there's much bias in polling when both sides are clearly represented at the top of the organization.

I don't think twa needs to lighten up at all.

Nothing but fun in this thread.

Ah, did you change from ABC to NBC?

Pretty sure I've seen the sampling on this one,looks biased to my uneducated eye,but I'll post it later...unless someone else does.

I did. Big ol' typo the first time I posted it, and figured that at least the thread title ought to be correct. :)

That was confusing in the beginning,thought I was having a senior moment or it was a different poll:silly:

Judge for yourself :saber:

internal sampling.

Strong Democrat ………………………………….. 23

Not very strong Democrat ……………………… 8

Independent/lean Democrat ………………….. 12

Strictly independent………………………………. 20

Independent/lean Republican………………… 10

Not very strong Republican …………………… 7

Strong Republican………………………………… 13

Other (VOL) ……………………………………….. 4

Not sure …………………………………………….. 3

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/090303_NBC-WSJ_poll.pdf

Agree with Kilmer, if Obama didn't still have strong support right now in regards to economic issues he and his administration would be screwed.

I personally think polls this early into anyone's term are stupid. I think I'll check the polls around the beginning of next year then start solidifying some opinions. :)

I think I'll check the polls around the beginning of next year then start solidifying some opinions. :)

Whereas I won't need to wait to hear what other people think in order to come to a conclusion about Obama's administration for myself. :silly:

Archived