Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better to miss the playoffs?

indyskins

Back when we were sitting at 7-6 and needed to win out to go to the playoffs, there were actually people on this board who said it would be better for us to miss the playoffs and get a higher draft pick.

Well, did you happen to see what the Arizona Cardinals did in the playoffs? Entering the playoffs, they were arguably the worst playoff team in NFL history, making it only because the NFC West was so bad. In their last 3 games of the year against competitive teams they were absolutely manhandled.

The Cardinals are NOT a better team than we were this year, they were just hot when it counted and had a chance in the playoffs. I hope them making the Super Bowl this year will put to rest any idiotic thoughts that it is somehow better to miss the playoffs.

Kurt Warner >>> JC.

Eagles were bringing the heat all day long, and yet, Kurt Warner was able to get rid of the ball quickly before getting punish. There was one play where he threw it in <2 sec before getting hammer <1 sec later. You think JC can do that.

With Mr. Mediocre at the helm, making playoffs would be stretched and winning any games in postseason would be like winning lottery.

Kurt Warner >>> JC.

Eagles were bringing the heat all day long, and yet, Kurt Warner was able to get rid of the ball quickly before getting punish. There was one play where he threw it in <2 sec before getting hammer <1 sec later. You think JC can do that.

With Mr. Mediocre at the helm, making playoffs would be stretched and winning any games in postseason would be like winning lottery.

You're probably right, we could never beat the Cardinals with Campbell at the helm. Oh wait, we did beat the Cardinals with Campbell at the helm.

And no way we could beat that Eagles pass rush with Campbell at QB either. Oh wait, we did beat the Eagles with Campbell. Twice.

Point is, playoffs give you a chance, anything can happen.

i dont think the people that said we should lose started saying that until we were actually out of the playoffs. i was one of those people that said it would be better for us to lose our last couple games but at that point we were already out. i still agree with my statements and i am completely satisfied with our pick at #13 right now. i think the way it worked out benefited the redskins in the long term. i never like to see them lose but we can gain alot more draft picks with this #13 then we could if we would have won 1 or 2 more games and ended up with #23 or 24

i agree anything can happen in the playoffs but arizona's scenario is a little different. they have a high powered offense that if everything goes right they can beat anybody. were not dangerous at all and if everything goes right, we still wont beat the better teams.

You're probably right, we could never beat the Cardinals with Campbell at the helm. Oh wait, we did beat the Cardinals with Campbell at the helm.

And no way we could beat that Eagles pass rush with Campbell at QB either. Oh wait, we did beat the Eagles with Campbell. Twice.

That shut him up lol

We "held on" to beat the Cardinals....If there were 5 more minutes we would have lost this game too! :thumbsdown:

We "held on" to beat the Cardinals....If there were 5 more minutes we would have lost this game too! :thumbsdown:
not to mention it was in the half of the season we were playing decent...If we had to go to the cards stadium for the wild card game I wouldn't have been surprised if we lost by 20+

You have to be kidding me...right?..

did you watch our team play the second half of the season?..Teams that average 10 points a game don't win playoff games.

I am not kidding you - Did you watch the Cards play the Eagles and Patriots? Did you watch the Eagles play us?

Anything can happen in the playoffs is all I am saying, I don't think the odds were good that we would do anything in the playoffs, but how many thought Cards would go to the Super Bowl?

I'll say the Cardinals were better than us this year solely on the basis that they have a functioning offense. And this year they've won three playoff games.......two more than the Skins have been able to muster in their last two playoff seasons.

Or in the last decade and a half.

But anyone ho wants to lose games to get a higher draft pick is silly. Whoo-wee... a higher draft pick!!! Who cares?

This is just my own personal belief but I would much rather make the playoffs and go one and done then not make it and get a higher draft pick

yea and i would hope that most people on here would feel the same way. i think most of the talk about we should lose the last couple games came after we were already out of the playoffs.

those peoples arguements were that they would rather be 7-9 and get the higher pick than be 9-7, not make the playoffs, and have the 20th pick.

i dont think the people that said we should lose started saying that until we were actually out of the playoffs. i was one of those people that said it would be better for us to lose our last couple games but at that point we were already out. i still agree with my statements and i am completely satisfied with our pick at #13 right now. i think the way it worked out benefited the redskins in the long term. i never like to see them lose but we can gain alot more draft picks with this #13 then we could if we would have won 1 or 2 more games and ended up with #23 or 24

i agree anything can happen in the playoffs but arizona's scenario is a little different. they have a high powered offense that if everything goes right they can beat anybody. were not dangerous at all and if everything goes right, we still wont beat the better teams.

So you are telling me if everything goes right, they can beat anybody? Genius! There is a statement I will agree with. Here is another one for you to ponder - if they get more points then the other team, they have a good chance to win!

Since you are one who thinks not making the playoffs is better, that pretty much supports my theory that those who think that are as bright as haunted houses.

Or in the last decade and a half.

But anyone ho wants to lose games to get a higher draft pick is silly. Whoo-wee... a higher draft pick!!! Who cares?

Precisely..a higher draft pick that can be bungled by Snyderatto..whoopitydoo!!:doh:

Sorry but this is some cry baby sounding stuff...our team isn't that good..they aren't terrible but they aren't good. We beat the Cards early in the season. A lot of things change as the season wears on. I hate that, we should be there, we are the better team crap..sounds like McNabb.

I know the old adage that "defense wins championships" and people always bring up the 2000 Ravens, and of course the Steelers are going to be the favorites, but consider this: the Cardinals scored 30 points in EACH of their three playoff games so far.

How many times did the Skins score 30 this whole year?

Sorry, but sometimes you can't argue with trends.

Sorry but this is some cry baby sounding stuff...our team isn't that good..they aren't terrible but they aren't good. We beat the Cards early in the season. A lot of things change as the season wears on. I hate that, we should be there, we are the better team crap..sounds like McNabb.

I can see how you would read the post that way but it wasn't my intent. It is not an anti-Cardinals thing and while I do think we are a better team, they certainly earned it more than we did and got hot at the right time. I was just saying it is better to make the playoffs than not and our team was at least as good as the Cards so would have had the same shot to do it as they did if we got in, that's all.

So you are telling me if everything goes right, they can beat anybody? Genius! There is a statement I will agree with. Here is another one for you to ponder - if they get more points then the other team, they have a good chance to win!

Since you are one who thinks not making the playoffs is better, that pretty much supports my theory that those who think that are as bright as haunted houses.

dude read my first sentence of the post you quoted. i DONT think a higher pick is better than making the playoffs. people started saying that AFTER we were already out.

my theory is if your 7-9 and out of the playoffs or 9-7 and out of the playoffs it is the same thing after the season is over. EXCEPT FOR THAT HIGHER DRAFT PICK. but not until we are mathmatically OUT of the playoffs do i feel that way. those 10 spots in the draft can help your team for the future. i just want whats better for the team in the future. but i still want them to make the playoffs.

as far as your genius comment, u know what i meant. im simply saying they have the potential to beat anybody with their high powered offense, whereas the redskins offense simply just doesnt even have that potential between our conservative playcalling and JC being so afraid to make a mistake that we dont throw the ball more than 7 yards down the field.

Back when we were sitting at 7-6 and needed to win out to go to the playoffs, there were actually people on this board who said it would be better for us to miss the playoffs and get a higher draft pick.

Well, did you happen to see what the Arizona Cardinals did in the playoffs? Entering the playoffs, they were arguably the worst playoff team in NFL history, making it only because the NFC West was so bad. In their last 3 games of the year against competitive teams they were absolutely manhandled.

The Cardinals are NOT a better team than we were this year, they were just hot when it counted and had a chance in the playoffs. I hope them making the Super Bowl this year will put to rest any idiotic thoughts that it is somehow better to miss the playoffs.

Dude, if you like the Colts you shouldn't say "we" on a Skins message board. Just sayin...

The Cardinals are NOT a better team than we were this year...

They had 3 (!) 1000 yard WRs, a future HOF QB (he is now) who regularly put up 300+ yard, multiple TD games and they won their division (it was a weak division but still it counts). We may have beaten them early but it's not how you start, it's how you finish. We are not better than them by a longshot.

This team didn't deserve to go to the playoffs plain and simple. Actually, with the way we were going, I think the players needed to get away from each other. This team had no chemistry and wouldn't have come together. this is an absolute joke thread.....also the cards had their division wrapped up very early, so maybe that's why they weren't playing their best ball down the stretch. We had EVERYTHING to play for and laid an egg....

Archived