Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Puppy injured his back leg: Updated

Zhouse

I had to go to Raleigh last week and left my 5 months old puppy (Lab/Pit mix) with a friend of mine (who also has a 2 years old Pit). I know the dogs get along very well because the Pit has spent some weekends at my place.

But sometimes the Pit gets a little too excited while they're playing and starts jumping around. Usually my pup just runs for cover until he calms down. Well anyways my friend calls me on Friday and tells me he heard my dog crying while the two dogs were playing and was now "limping just a bit."

I got home late last night so my friend dropped him off at my apt earlier that night. (Damn he's grown) From what I can see he tries not put pressure on his back right leg, usually that one leg is in the air. I think his injury is bigger than I expected.

I'm taking him to the vet later on today but anyone else with experience that can tell me a thing or two about leg injuries on pups?

It's crazy how dogs act even when they're hurting though. He's been the happiest dog since I've been home....even when he's in obvious pain.

Update: For those interested...I just came back from the vet and she believes it's just a sprain. He's now on pain killers for the next three days. If things don't improve by Friday, I will take him back for X-rays.

When she was younger, my pit would do that sometimes after doing zoomies around the yard. My vet said it was just a muscle strain, and to keep an eye on it and keep her "calm" (the man obviously never owned a pit puppy), and within a day or two she was fine again and back to trying to break speed records around the yard.

So, I would not be too worried about it. Have the vet check him over to make sure the little one did not hurt a joint or tear something rough housing, and keep him...umm... "calm".

When I was a kid, my friend's wiener dog Bingo suffered one of the most bizarre pet injuries I've ever heard of. Bingo was taking a dump in the backyard in a patch of clover, and a bee stung him right up the ass.

Bingo jumped and twisted so violently, he broke his back. (Wiener dogs...) Nobody knew what had happened until they saw Bingo slowly crawling up to the back porch with his front paws, dragging his inert back legs behind him.

Not sure if they were able to save him or not. I seem to remember that the vet fashioned a sling of some kind and Bingo was immobilized for a month or two to heal up. But maybe that was just a story my folks told me. My friend lived on the other side of the state, so I really only saw him once a year.

Point being: Your dog's injury could be a lot worse. :D

I have no doubt that he will heal up just fine. Dogs are resilient animals. If you can, encourage him to relax as much as possible. No sense in walking on it more than necessary.

When she was younger, my pit would do that sometimes after doing zoomies around the yard. My vet said it was just a muscle strain, and to keep an eye on it and keep her "calm" (the man obviously never owned a pit puppy), and within a day or two she was fine again and back to trying to break speed records around the yard.

So, I would not be too worried about it. Have the vet check him over to make sure the little one did not hurt a joint or tear something rough housing, and keep him...umm... "calm".

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking the same thing until I got home yesterday. This happened on Friday and this morning he was still keeping his leg up in the air as much as possible. I will work on the calm thing but I can't wait to get out of work to see the vet this afternoon.

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking the same thing until I got home yesterday. This happened on Friday and this morning he was still keeping his leg up in the air as much as possible. I will work on the calm thing but I can't wait to get out of work to see the vet this afternoon.

Ya, I would get him into the vet fairly quickly. Puppys in general tend to bounce back from injuries fairly quickly, especially pits, but if there is a large size difference between your pup and the two year old pit he was playing with, something could have been torn while playing.

Hope everything is ok!

When I was a kid, my friend's wiener dog Bingo suffered one of the most bizarre pet injuries I've ever heard of. Bingo was taking a dump in the backyard in a patch of clover, and a bee stung him right up the ass.

Bingo jumped and twisted so violently, he broke his back. (Wiener dogs...) Nobody knew what had happened until they saw Bingo slowly crawling up to the back porch with his front paws, dragging his inert back legs behind him.

Not sure if they were able to save him or not. I seem to remember that the vet fashioned a sling of some kind and Bingo was immobilized for a month or two to heal up. But maybe that was just a story my folks told me. My friend lived on the other side of the state, so I really only saw him once a year.

I have no doubt that he will heal up just fine. Dogs are resilient animals. If you can, encourage him to relax as much as possible. No sense in walking on it more than necessary.

Thanks for scaring the crap out of me. J/K. I know what you mean, I'm taking it serious.

I will work on keeping him still as much as I can.

As i stated above, i CANNOT overstate the value of getting pet insurance. Ive had my dog for about 2 months now, about a month ago he came down with some illness that basicallly made him have diharrea (sp?) every hour and he would vomit any food i gave him. Took him to the vet, they cured him in like 1 day, back to normal, good as new.

$2200.

As i stated above, i CANNOT overstate the value of getting pet insurance. Ive had my dog for about 2 months now, about a month ago he came down with some illness that basicallly made him have diharrea (sp?) every hour and he would vomit any food i gave him. Took him to the vet, they cured him in like 1 day, back to normal, good as new.

$2200.

Ouch.

When Shelby had parvo as a pup (vomiting, diahrrea, severe dehydration, and life-threatening), it was a three days up at the vet, 2 of those on an IV, plus meds, and they sent us home with extra meds after we picked her up, and it only ran us $350 + the cost of the parvo test (another $35).

Pet insurance is nice though. It is next on our list right after we get human insurance :)

$2200.

Ya I have pet insurance but it's really preventative coverage not really meant for accidents such as these. I will still benefit from no visit fees and discounts on meds but....

My Rotti has had both of her rear ACL's repaired, about a year apart. Its apparently a fairly common injury for larger dogs. The surgeries were around $1,500 each, not to mention the cost of the follow up care.

When the 1st one went out we waited several days to see if maybe she just pulled a muscle. After about 4 days of her not putting any weight on the leg, we had no choice but to bring her in.

My suggestion would be to bring him in right away, if it is a similar injury they can make him a little more comfortable prior to the surgery.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Sorry for laughing but I needed this. I seriously laughed outloud for the past 5 minutes. Poor dog, but this story is hilarious!!!

Archived