Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts vs. Watson

phishhead

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Betts reminds me of a faster SD. Hits the hole hard and is not afraid of contact. With expeirence I think he can be a stud rb

I just hope the coaches continue to make decisions based on who can help the team not based on draft position or salary.

The only reason Watson, a second year undrafted player with no playing experience, started ahead of Betts, a second round pick, was that he outplayed him.

Whoever the coaches think can help at the end of training camp between Betts, Watson and Canidate has my vote. Morton is already in as a returner.

Crap. I voted for the one I thought was "bush league" instead of "hot."

Damn polls. :)

I take it everybody is convinced that 1) SS's comments about keeping 4 is set in stone, and that 2) Morton counts as one of the 4.

I'd frankly like to see both Betts AND Watson stick, as well as Morton. And I'd like to see R. Gillespie get the opportunity to show enough improvement in blitz pickup during camp and preseason to get a shot at sticking on Teams.

Seems premature to me to be talking about who goes at this point. Let them take the field, and let SS figure out who he needs to accomplish what he wants from the RB position.

Guys, we have Trung and Morton, who are both side to side jukey RBs, just like Watson. Betts is our best power runner, and I doubt that we give up that aspect of our team.

If it were up to me though, I would relese Brian Johnson, and keeps Betts as a RB and a FB.

yeah i was thinking about the same thing as panel... i am not sure exactly how big betts is but i would rather cut johnson then any other RB and try to put betts as a FB or something just so that we can give him some playing time... i mean SD spent i think one or two seasons as a FB and that made him much better then before...

I think that the Skins need to keep Betts, he's more of a "between the tackles" type runner than Watson is. As great it's been seeing Washington pick up all this speed, we're (hopefully) going to need some guys who can just move the sticks and run down the clock when preserving a lead at the end of the game. I think that Betts is better suited for this.

(Don't worry Blondie, Rock still gets the ball in 3rd & 1, 4th & inches situations):D

Well guys, I can remember several games this year when we needed to run out the clock and get some tuf inside running, and if i remember correctly it wasn't Betts that was in there grinding out the tuff yards, It was Watson. Ie... Tenn, Indy, Seattle, and the last dallas game.. Think about it... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Understanding that Spurrier only wants 3 RB's, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll cut one. If, for example, Morton doesn't distinguish himself as a RB, then perhaps we keep our existing 3 RB's, and Morton moves more into a slot WR & special teams role.

But if one has to go, I hope the team sticks to its philosophy of ignoring contracts and picks that were traded away, and focuses on demonstrated production, and "likely to be realized" potential. In my mind, T.Candidate's speed does not qualify as "potential" if shows no ability to read blocks, find holes and cut back lines, or hold onto the ball.

I know cutting Watson is the easiest for Salary reasons, but he is also the most proven back of the 4, despite having the least amount of experience of the group ... there is something to be said for that (i.e., maybe he'll continue to make positive steps).

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Trung lose this contest, but of course, I hope he turns into Ahman Green (very similar build, penchant for speed, and early problems).

Ideally, I'd like to see if SS could delay making a decision on who to keep and cut until we've played some real games and seen how the skills measure out with violent contact.

Could be a good year to stash someone on IR.

I believe a mistake that some teams make is keeping the 'better skilled player' as opposed to the player that fits a need more.

Would a team really need 3 identical type backs in the backfield? Would it not be wiser to have different styles at the running back position?

Trung Canidate = Kenny Watson = Chad Morton in terms of style. We already know Chad Morton will stay given that he is our KR and can play WR and 3rd down RB.

I am not saying that Watson is better than Betts, but even if we assume this, I still think we need to keep Betts. Ladell Betts is the only "between the tackles" type runner we have on the roster. I think we need to keep him. Plus we all must admit that he did play quite well when used last year.

So the real question should be do we keep Canidate or Watson. I believe Canidate has better hands in terms of catching the ball, and more speed but fumbles more than Watson.

Who would you keep between them? :?:

Archived